Challenge: 50 Books discussion

*Retired* 2008 Lists > Amy's 2008 Books

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amy (last edited Feb 25, 2009 03:43AM) (new)

Amy | 28 comments So far...

1. Garden Spells (by: Sarah Addison Allen)

2. The Sisters Grimm Book 5: Magic and Other Misdemeanors (by: Michael Buckley)

3. Water for Elephants (by: Sara Gruen)

4. Too Late to Say Goodbye: A True Story of Murder and Betrayal (by: Ann Rule)

5. The Crimes of Dr. Watson: An Interactive Sherlock Holmes Mystery (by: John H. Watson)

Here's to a year of good reading!

message 2: by Danine (new)

Danine (dulcemea) Thanks for sharing your books! Cheers to a year of good reading :)

message 3: by Amy (new)

Amy | 28 comments 6. I Am Legend (by: Richard Matheson)

Just finished it. Now I can go see the movie!

message 4: by Amy (new)

Amy | 28 comments 7. A Version of the Truth (by: Jennifer Kaufman and Karen Mack)

Thanks to the heavy snowfall all afternoon, I was able to start and finish this book today. If you can't leave the house because of bad weather I think it is perfectly acceptable behavior to curl up under a blanket and do nothing but read all day!

message 5: by Amy (new)

Amy | 28 comments 8. The River King (by: Alice Hoffman)

My semester starts tomorrow - so I know my reading for pleasure will slow considerably. Back to my nursing textbooks...

message 6: by Amy (new)

Amy | 28 comments 9. Literacy and Longing in L.A. (by: Jennifer Kaufman and Karen Mack)

I had trouble staying with this book to the end. I was bored and annoyed with it and had to force myself to finish it. Hopefully my next pick will be better!

message 7: by Greg (new)

Greg | 1 comments How was I am Legend? I too would like to read the book before seeing the movie.

message 8: by Amy (new)

Amy | 28 comments I am Legend was very good. It was well written in the way that not everything was spelled out for the reader, rather a lot was left up to the imagination. I usually find that more intriguing that if the author describes every little detail...

I always read book before watching the movie because the movie is never as good. My husband wants to see this movie so I figured I better pick the book up and read it first. I think I missed the movie in the theaters so I will have to wait for DVD...

message 9: by Amy (new)

Amy | 28 comments 10. The Cinderella Pack (by: Sarah Strohmeyer)

Excellent modern day fairy tale that will be especially enjoyed by any woman who has ever tried to lose weight.

message 10: by Amy (new)

Amy | 28 comments 11. Suburbanistas (by: Pamela Redmond Satran)

message 11: by Amy (new)

Amy | 28 comments 12. Everyone Worth Knowing (by: Lauren Weisberger

message 12: by Amy (new)

Amy | 28 comments 13. The Monsters of Templeton (by: Lauren Groff)

message 13: by Laurie (new)

Laurie (Laurie0303) | 60 comments What did you think of The Monsters of Templeton? I have it on my "To Read" list so am curious what you thought of it.

message 14: by Amy (new)

Amy | 28 comments 14. Skylight Confessions (by: Alice Hoffman)

message 15: by Amy (new)

Amy | 28 comments @ Laurie - I thought The Monsters of Templeton was just OK. The chapters jump around from different character's points of view and normally I don't mind that - but some of these people were ancestors from a long time ago. It had too much history for my taste.

Also, I didn't really like the main character - so I didn't really care about her problems.

These dislikes all pertain to me though, the story itself is well written and full of colorful characters. I can imagine a lot of other people liking this story - it just wasn't my taste.

That's what I get for judging another book by it's cover - but I loved the cover as soon as I saw it at Barnes and Nobel and bought it on the spot!

message 16: by Amy (new)

Amy | 28 comments 15. To Kill a Mockingbird (by: Harper Lee)

This was a re-read, but the first time I read it was in high school and that was so long ago I didn't remember much of the details!

message 17: by Amy (new)

Amy | 28 comments 16. The Willoughbys (by: Lois Lowry)

message 18: by Amy (new)

Amy | 28 comments 17. Murder on the Orient Express (by: Agatha Christie)

message 19: by Amy (new)

Amy | 28 comments 18. Tales From The Hood (by: Michael Buckley)

message 20: by Amy (new)

Amy | 28 comments 19. Once Upon a Time in the North (by: Phillip Pullman)

message 21: by Amy (new)

Amy | 28 comments 20. Green Angel (by: Alice Hoffman)

message 22: by Amy (new)

Amy | 28 comments 21. Water Tales: Aquamarine and Indigo (by: Alice Hoffman)

Technically this is two books bound in one volume, but they are short so I am counting this as only one book.

message 23: by Amy (new)

Amy | 28 comments 22. The Quickie (by: James Patterson)

message 24: by Amy (new)

Amy | 28 comments 23. The Penderwicks on Gardam Street (by: Jane Birdsall)

message 25: by Amy (new)

Amy | 28 comments 24. Let Me Call You Sweetheart (by: Mary Higgins Clark)

25. Seventh Heaven (by: Alice Hoffman)

26. Here on Earth (by: Alice Hoffman)

I went on vacation and only had time to read these 3 books in the 10 days I was there! (I packed 7 books to take with me.)

message 26: by Amy (new)

Amy | 28 comments 27. The Sugar Queen (by: Sarah Addison Allen)

message 27: by Amy (new)

Amy | 28 comments 28. Where Are You Now? (by: Mary Higgins Clark)

message 28: by Amy (new)

Amy | 28 comments 29. Girls in Trucks (by: Katie Crouch)