Five Chimneys: A Woman Survivor's True Story of Auschwitz Five Chimneys discussion

amazing

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Emily (new)

Emily this book is amazing. i have read over 10 different books telling the disturbing stories of the Holocaust and i have not found one to tell in any better detail and discription as this one. it tells every tradgedy that she witnessed at the largest Nazi death camp Auschwitz-Birkenau and gives a great insight into what life was like for her during those dark times.

Patricia Kaniasty I agree. By far the best I have ever read on this subject.

Cole Excellent book. Paired with the book Rena's promise, one can get a very detailed picture of both the Gentile and Jewish experience in the camps. Additionally, the stories fill each other in. For example, Olga Lengyel discusses what "organizing" is; Rena goes more into detail about having to do it to survive (e.g. when her sister got malaria). Olga gives excellent insight into the activities of the SS; Rena goes more into the plight of the prisoners themselves. Olga is more clinical, Rena is more emotive. Together, they paint a very vivid picture for those brave enough to look at it.

Patricia Kaniasty I'll have to look up "Rena's Promise". Sounds like a good extension of "Five Chimneys".

message 5: by Marilyn (last edited Jul 13, 2015 08:32PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Marilyn Maya I picked up a well worn copy of this book. It was a relatively short book yet included every detail that had been missing from other survivor accounts. This made me think about life and about gratitude for life and unspeakable horror at the same time. PS. It had not photos in this earlier copy