American Westerns discussion

Favorite western movie

Comments Showing 1-50 of 59 (59 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by I.J. (new)

I.J. Parnham | 2 comments You'll get no argument from me on The searchers. It was good to see Wayne act for once and not play his usual character.

message 2: by fyc (new)

fyc (fvonne) | 1 comments The Searches is a great movie. I agree. I also loved Lonesome Dove.

message 3: by Jon (new)

Jon Hovis | 8 comments How many folks have seen Crossfire Trail with Tom Selleck? That remains fairly close to the top of my list.

message 4: by David (new)

David Dail Jon wrote: "How many folks have seen Crossfire Trail with Tom Selleck? That remains fairly close to the top of my list."

I have seen and in fact own a copy of Crossfire Trail on dvd as well as another great Selleck western Last Stand at Saber River. But Angel and the Badman has to be close to the top of my favorite list.

message 5: by Jon (new)

Jon Hovis | 8 comments David wrote: "Jon wrote: "How many folks have seen Crossfire Trail with Tom Selleck? That remains fairly close to the top of my list."

I have seen and in fact own a copy of Crossfire Trail on dvd as well as ..."

I haven't heard of Angel and the Badman. When did it come out and who stars in it?

message 6: by Paul (new)

Paul Colt (paulcolt) | 78 comments This covers a lot of territory. I'll add a vote for The Searchers. Some of my others favorites include The Magnificent Seven, Dances with Wolves, High Noon and Lonesome Dove.

message 7: by David (new)

David Dail Jon wrote: "David wrote: "Jon wrote: "How many folks have seen Crossfire Trail with Tom Selleck? That remains fairly close to the top of my list."

I have seen and in fact own a copy of Crossfire Trail on d..."

Angel and the Badman was released in 1947 and starred John Wayne and a relatively unknow but strikingly beautiful actress named Gail Russell. It's in black and white and the copy that I have was bought as a box set released with McClintock, another Wayne classic.

message 8: by David (new)

David Dail Paul wrote: "This covers a lot of territory. I'll add a vote for The Searchers. Some of my others favorites include The Magnificent Seven, Dances with Wolves, High Noon and Lonesome Dove. "

I agree this covers a lot of territory. I am not even sure how I would begin to qualify my favorite western movie. Think I would just have to settle for a top 10 or maybe a top 20 and start a debate from there.

message 9: by Paul (new)

Paul Colt (paulcolt) | 78 comments Western Writers of America did a top 10 list this past year. It generated quite a bit of comment if not controversy. You might still find the list at www.westernwriters.org. It seems people who love westerns have strong opinions about their favorite movies.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

I vote for theam all LOL

message 11: by Kae (new)

Kae Cheatham (uppitywoman) | 16 comments I make my choice by how much I've watched it. And would watch tomorrow if I had a chance. In this category:
The Searchers is definitely up top (AMC ran it this weekend); and another Duke flick The Cowboys. I also liked The Outlaw Josey Wales, and Bronco Billy.
An obscure one, Winter Hawk; a contemporary-- Thunderheart, and a musical western, The Unsinkable Molly Brown.

message 12: by Nathan (new)

Nathan Henrion I'll be cliche and say The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly is my favorite. That and High Plains Drifter are two I can watch over and over again.

You might want to search out a recent film called The Proposition. It's an Australian film (can it be called Western?) written by Nick Cave. Great, great, movie.

message 13: by Vince (last edited Jul 16, 2010 04:22PM) (new)

Vince (vchile) One of my favorites has always been "Ride the High Country" from Sam Peckinpah.

message 14: by Travis (new)

Travis Haselton (haselton) | 14 comments Quigley down under. But as much as I like Tom Sellec as a cowboy John Wayne is still the best. Some people don't need to act sometimes thier own personna is so powerfull that they change the industry forever.

message 15: by Steve (new)

Steve Chaput (stevec50) | 62 comments Paul wrote: "This covers a lot of territory. I'll add a vote for The Searchers. Some of my others favorites include The Magnificent Seven, Dances with Wolves, High Noon and Lonesome Dove. "

I think I'll go with SHANE as my all-time favorite, non-John Wayne western. Anything with The Duke was at least worth watching, even his early films prior to stardom.

A bit more contemporary would be THE WILD BUNCH and just about any of Clint Eastward movies, with a couple of possible exceptions.

message 16: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 130 comments I have a few favorite Western movies,
A Fistful of Dollars
For A Few Dollars More
The Good, The Bad and The Ugly
3:10 to Yuma

message 17: by L. J. (new)

L. J. Martin (ljmartin) | 15 comments I'm surprised to read so far down before seeing Shane as a favorite. It's on top of my list...but it's a long list. Quigley is top of my Australian films, but Man from Snowy River is right up there. Wayne was a great character, not a great actor, but you gotta love his films and his continuing group of players. Dances was beautifully done and Coster was able to grab the very best out of a slow book...but slow's okay if there are a few gems along the way. Come back Shane!

message 18: by Steven (new)

Steven Kohlhagen (stevenkohlhagen) | 47 comments Justin wrote: "I have a few favorite Western movies,
A Fistful of Dollars
For A Few Dollars More
The Good, The Bad and The Ugly
3:10 to Yuma"

add in "The Magnificent 7" and we're in 1000% violent agreement!

message 19: by Catherine (last edited May 21, 2014 08:09AM) (new)

Catherine | 2 comments Once Upon a Time in the West is awesome. I really like Broken Trail too. Oh, and Magnificent Seven! And Yellow Sky.

message 20: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 2 comments That film The Proposition is well worth the watch. I agree "great, great movie"

message 21: by Tomáš (last edited May 22, 2014 08:03AM) (new)

Tomáš | 2 comments the more nostalgic, elegiac, brooding a western is, and the more it revels in shots of a beatiful landscape, the more i like it

message 22: by Regina (last edited May 22, 2014 08:35AM) (new)

Regina Shelley (reginas) | 14 comments Westward the Women. That's not only one of my favorite westerns, but it's probably on my very short list of favorite movies.

Here's my short list of favorite western movies, in no particular order:
The Unforgiven
The Cowboys
The Frisco Kid
Gunless
The Warrior's Way
Valley of the Gwangi (I didn't say this was my list of "good" movies, I said it was my list of "favorite" movies. Those two lists do not always intersect)

I actually wrote a "list of favorite Western movies" on my blog, if anyone cares to have a look. I have seen more movies and gotten more favorites since writing that list. Anyways, I write a short blurb about what I like about them on there: http://fivedollarmail.blogspot.com/20...

I watched a movie called "Gallows Walkers" about a month ago and it was, hands down, one of the worst messes I've ever seen. But then, I knew that going in and watched it anyways. So I guess I got what I deserved.

message 23: by Anthony (new)

Anthony Whitt | 31 comments Jeremiah Johnson (1972) It's about mountain men, but I consider it a western. Here's dialogue from one of my favorite scenes in the movie.

Jeremiah Johnson: [Jeremiah and Caleb find Del Gue buried to his neck in sand] Are you all right?

Del Gue: Sure, sure, I got a fine horse under me!

[sneezes]

Del Gue: Got one of them feathers in my nose.

Jeremiah Johnson: You keep sneezing, it'll come out all right. Haven't seen anyone pass by recent, have you?

Del Gue: Nobody's gone in front of me. Can't say what's happened behind me, though.

Jeremiah Johnson: The Injuns put you here?

Del Gue: T'weren't Mormons. A Chief, name of Mad Wolf. Nice fella, don't talk a hell of a lot. Say, you wouldn't have an extra hat on you, would you? Shade's getting' scarce in these parts.

Jeremiah Johnson: What'd you shave your head for?

Del Gue: Mad Wolf figures like every other Injun I know. Says this scalp isn't fit for no decent man's lodgepole. Ain't the first time I've protected my head in such a way. Name's Del Gue, with an "e".

message 24: by Elisabeth (new)

Elisabeth | 32 comments My two personal favorites are Rio Grande (1950), which I think is the best and most underrated of the Ford/Wayne cavalry trilogy, and The Tin Star (1957). Beyond those, if I had to recommend the best representative films of the Western genre to somebody, this would be my list:

Stagecoach (1939)
Shane (1953)
Red River (1948)
High Noon (1952)
The Magnificent Seven (1960)

message 25: by Kim (new)

Kim Hampton | 4 comments The Man from Snowy River. OK, it's an Australian western, but it's my favorite movie of all time.

message 26: by Nicholas (new)

Nicholas | 16 comments No particular order: except for Shane :)

Shane
The Searchers
The Gunfighter
3:10 to Yuma
The Fastest Gun Alive
No Name on the Bullet
Rio Bravo
Ride the High Country
The Magnificent Seven
The Dollars Trilogy
A Professional Gun
Once Upon a time in the West
The Wild Bunch
The Outlaw Josey Wales
Silverado
Dances With Wolves
Tombstone
Open Range

message 27: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 130 comments The Dollars Trilogy, 3:10 to Yuma and Tombstone are the only ones I've seen off your list. Loved all three and I'd definitely like to see more, heard things about Rio bravo.

message 28: by Cathy (last edited Oct 28, 2014 09:12AM) (new)

Cathy | 1 comments "Open Range" gets my nod with Robert Duvall and Kevin Costner, two of my favorite actors.

message 29: by Edwin, Moderator (new)

Edwin (edmandu) | 230 comments I saw the new X-Men movie "Logan" this weekend, and although not a Western, the characters spend some time watching "Shane" on TV, a clear nod to the obvious influence of that great movie.

message 30: by Gerard (new)

Gerard Doris | 1 comments For me it has to be the "Man with No Name" trilogy...I'm just having a hard time picking which of the three is my favourite.

message 31: by Tim (new)

Tim (timi2u) | 66 comments I'm a closet spaghetti western fan, and even though I love the Leone movies, my all time favorite is "The Great Silence" produced by Sergio Corbucci. I have a collection of over 200 spaghetti westerns, really love them.

message 32: by J.R. (new)

J.R. | 46 comments Listing one movie is like selecting one food as a favorite. But some choices for me would have to include The Wild Bunch, Dances With Wolves, Jeremiah Johnson, The Searchers, the remake of 3:10 to Yuma, High Noon, The Shootist, both versions of True Grit, Shane, Lonesome Dove, Josey Wales and, with more time to consider, probably a dozen more.
My biggest complaint is they aren't making enough Westerns.

message 33: by Loyd (new)

Loyd Uglow | 13 comments I'd have to say The Magnificent Seven (1960 version) and Wyatt Earp. Both have exciting, believable stories; strong casts; and great action sequences. Plus, I love the soundtracks from both of them. Rousing music adds a lot to my enjoyment of a movie.

message 34: by C. (new)

C. | 11 comments Dreamkeeper

Last of the Dogmen

The Man From Snowy River

A Man Called Horse

Jeremiah Johnson

The Electric Horseman

The Good, the Bad & the Ugly

Conagher

Three Amigos

Silverado

The Frisco Kid

message 35: by Gary (last edited Apr 20, 2017 03:00PM) (new)

Gary Sundell | 22 comments This is not an exhaustive list of my favorites
The Searchers
Shane
Gunfight at the OK Corral
She Wore a Yellow Ribbon
Fort Apache (Wayne and Fonda going nose to nose and a grown Shirley Temple)
Rio Grande
The Magnificent Seven (The Cast, Elmer Bernstein's score)
My Darling Clementine
Silverado (love Bruce Broughton's score too)
Support Your Local Sheriff
McLintock!
Blazing Saddles
The Shootist
The Outlaw Josey Wales
Pretty much any of the James Stewart westerns from the 1950s

I saw the last two when they came out as a part of a double feature. I will watch John Wayne and Maureen O'Hara in anything.
I may add more later.

message 36: by Edwin, Moderator (new)

Edwin (edmandu) | 230 comments If I had to pick only one it would the "The Searchers".

message 37: by C. (new)

C. | 11 comments I agree with Gary~"Pretty much any of the James Stewart westerns from the 1950s". Never much cared for John Wayne's Neanderthal manhandling of women!

message 38: by Loyd (new)

Loyd Uglow | 13 comments Does anybody like Major Dundee with Charlton Heston and James Coburn? I'm especially partial to Western movies/books that have a connection with Mexico.

message 39: by Andrew (new)

Andrew McBride | 77 comments I've probably missed a few, but here in chronological order:
Stagecoach (1939)
My Darling Clementine
Red River
Fort Apache
Wagonmaster
The Gunfighter
Winchester 73 (1950)
The Naked Spur
Shane
Vera Cruz
Bad Day At Black Rock (modern western)
The Searchers
The Tall T
3.10 to Yuma (1957)
The Left-Handed Gun
Rio Bravo
Ride the High Country
Lonely Are The Brave (modern western)
Hombre
Will Penny
True Grit (1969)
The Wild Bunch
Little Big Man
The Cowboys
The Shootist
Unforgiven

message 40: by Still (new)

Still (mantan) | 74 comments My favorite Westerns are too numerous to list:
Possibly my favorite is The Wild Bunch.

Second favorite would be Monte Walsh.
Watch it about once a year.
Alone.

Then the original Stagecoach (before he was fully JOHN WAYNE) and Lonesome Dove -love Duvall in this one.
It's also got Chris Cooper, Steve Buscemi, Frederic Forrest, Barry Corbin... hell, everybody great except Lee Marvin, Warren Oates and Harry Dean Stanton

Probably Hombre would be next. Or Valdez Is Coming except it's got that limp-dick Jon Cypher as the bad guy and Richard Jordan as his hired gun. Then again- the outstanding Frank Silvera, Hector Elizondo, and Susan Clark almost steal the movie from Burt Lancaster which is a difficult row to hoe.

After that ...Leone's Once Upon A Time In The West and Duck, You Sucker.

And I love The Professionals (Lee Marvin & Woody Strode).

I pretty much hate all John Wayne movies with the exception of The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence (Lee Marvin + Lee Van Cleef),
The Comancheros (again. Lee Marvin), and The Shootist -John Wayne's finest moments.
I will also watch Tall In The Saddle once a year.
And a couple of his pre-1970s movies are okay.

Damn.
I can't rank these things.
How do you folks do it?

I could list 25 more.

message 41: by Seth (new)

Seth Nation | 1 comments Hands down Red River! A classic

message 42: by Still (new)

Still (mantan) | 74 comments I forgot Red River!

message 43: by Gary (new)

Gary Sundell | 22 comments I will add a couple of made for TV movies.
The Sacketts and The Shadow Riders. Both feature Tom Selleck, Sam Elliott and Jeff Osterhage. Glen Ford had a nice role in The Sacketts. Ben Johnson is in The Shadow Riders.

message 44: by Richard (new)

Richard Lutman (goodreadscomrichard_lutman) | 16 comments Unforgiven with Burt Lancaster and Audrey Hepburn, The Big Country with Gregory Peck and Charlton Heston, Broken Arrow with James Stewart

message 45: by Tim (new)

Tim (timi2u) | 66 comments Gary wrote: "I will add a couple of made for TV movies.
The Sacketts and The Shadow Riders. Both feature Tom Selleck, Sam Elliott and Jeff Osterhage. Glen Ford had a nice role in The Sacketts. Ben Johnson is in..."

I thought Glen Ford was great as Tom Sunday "choking on an empty grudge" as Ty ( Osterhage) said in the movie.
Great cast and they did a good job of fitting more than one of L'Amour's Sackett books into the made-for-tv mini-series, especially with Tell's (Elliott) time spent on the mountain.

message 46: by Bobby (new)

Bobby Underwood Rio Bravo
El Dorado
Shane
The Searchers
Ride the Man Down
The Long Riders (modern)
Tombstone (modern)
Open Range (modern)
Blood On the Moon
No Name On the Bullet
Stagecoach
Canyon Passage
Branded

message 47: by Barry (new)

Barry (bphile726) | 1 comments My favorite Western Movie and one of my favorite movies of all time is: The Magnificent Seven. If I needed to choose a number two, it would be a tie between The Wild Bunch and The Professionals.

message 48: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 130 comments The Magnificent Seven is pretty good. I saw it for the first time last year. Great cast, good acting an overall great movie.

message 49: by Loyd (new)

Loyd Uglow | 13 comments And add a tremendous soundtrack.

message 50: by Lowell (new)

Lowell Ross | 30 comments Barry wrote: "My favorite Western Movie and one of my favorite movies of all time is: The Magnificent Seven. If I needed to choose a number two, it would be a tie between The Wild Bunch and The Professionals."

There all great ones saw them all. My favorite is 1995 "Last of the dogmen " - Tom Berenger & Barbara Hershey

« previous 1