Tips for Self Promotion, Sales, and Advertising discussion

I'd like to start reviewing books on my blog

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Elijah (new)

Elijah Meeks | 10 comments It seems like a good way to get attention for independent authors is for us to review each others work. So, I'd like to start posting short reviews on my blog to give POD authors a spotlight. I'll also include a Goodreads review along with it. I don't plan to do it too frequently, but once a week or so sounds good. If anyone would like to suggest something, or would like to do the same for Son of the Great River, let me know. I'm interested primarily in historical fiction or adventure. If there's an environmental theme, I would be particularly well-suited for it. While eBooks aren't everyone's favorite medium for reading, it's the most convenient way to get a copy over to somebody, though I'd be happy to pass along a review copy of Son through the mail if someone prefers it.

message 2: by F.D. (new)

F.D. Crandall (fdcrandall) | 54 comments How would I get you to review my book?

message 3: by Sheila (new)

Sheila Hendrix (sheilahendrix) I'd like to know that also. I also could do the same on my blog if anyone is interested in sending me a book to review. I'm into sci/fi fantasy and the supernatural. That's what my books are about and that's the kind I like to read mostly. I also like Suspense with a little bit of romance, and mysteries.

I will say this, I wouldn't like to do it all the time but one a week would be good. Let me know.

message 4: by Dee (new)

Dee Marie (dee_marie) | 460 comments Sons of Avalon Merlin's Prophecy is historical fantasy. If anyone would be interested in reviewing, I will be very happy to send along a copy.

message 5: by Bradley (new)

Bradley | 19 comments I review books on the side. As a stay-at-home daddy I have reviewed quite a few books. E-books are hard to manage with my little two year old, but print books are always welcome. I do reviews here, amazon, my blog, and some other places. =) I have found most of the independent books that come my way have rivaled what I find in the mainstream. =)

www.myspace.com/dreamsbane

message 6: by Jaimey (new)

Jaimey (jaimeygrant) | 232 comments Dee wrote: "Sons of Avalon Merlin's Prophecy is historical fantasy. If anyone would be interested in reviewing, I will be very happy to send along a copy."

Oooo, Dee, I would love to review your book! I have always been fascinated by Merlin. (Which reminds me, I need to dig out Mary Stewart's Merlin series and read that, too...)

:o)

I have been thinking about posting some of my more recent reviews on my blog, as well.

message 7: by Elijah (new)

Elijah Meeks | 10 comments What a great response. If anyone wants to get themselves on a list to be reviewed at Seven Lions, please send me a message and we'll figure things out. The longer reviews on the blog will be restricted to fantasy, historical fiction and adventure stories, but I'd be happy to do Goodreads reviews for other genres.

message 8: by Dee (new)

Dee Marie (dee_marie) | 460 comments Hey Jaimey,

Drop me either a Goodreads IM or send me an email, with your snail mail addy, and I will post you a copy of Sons of Avalon Merlin's Prophecy either Monday or Tuesday or this coming week :]

message 9: by Jaimey (new)

Jaimey (jaimeygrant) | 232 comments Dee wrote: "Hey Jaimey,

Drop me either a Goodreads IM or send me an email, with your snail mail addy, and I will post you a copy of Sons of Avalon Merlin's Prophecy either Monday or Tuesday or this coming week :]"

Super! I'll be contacting you momentarily. :o)

message 10: by Dee (new)

Dee Marie (dee_marie) | 460 comments Oh, my email would help, sorry...

conceptual@twcny.rr.com

message 11: by Elijah (new)

Elijah Meeks | 10 comments I just got Dee's Sons of Avalon Merlin's Prophecy and I'll get the review up in the next few days. If anyone else has a novel that they'd like to get reviewed, let me know.

message 12: by Dee (new)

Dee Marie (dee_marie) | 460 comments Yippe Elijah,

I am both nervous and excited, and nervous again, but mostly excited.

Looking forward to your review :]

message 13: by Elijah (new)

Elijah Meeks | 10 comments Just wanted to mention that I've managed to find a couple other reviewers and Goodreads members and so if anyone has historical fiction or sci-fi, we've got reviewers to take a look.

Please note that there's no guaranteeing of a good review. I know many sites are only posting good reviews, but I think it'd make me feel more credible if the reviews posted (Both here and on Seven Lions) are honest reviews.

message 15: by Thersa (new)

Thersa Elija, you're quick! Going to go check it out.

message 16: by Elijah (new)

Elijah Meeks | 10 comments As I understand it, that's how it works when someone offers to publicly review books. They're quick at first, and then get swamped. Hopefully I won't get swamped, probably I will. We all do, that seems to be the ethic of Web 2.0.

message 17: by Thersa (new)

Thersa I was marveling that you not only read it fast but got the review up, too. I'm a slow reader who habitually goes back and re-reads pages. My stack of too-read books never dwindles.

Lovely review, btw! I think that is a talent. Yep, I'm sure you'll be swamped soon. But that's a good thing, right?

t

message 18: by Dee (new)

Dee Marie (dee_marie) | 460 comments Thank you so much Elijah for your review of Sons of Avalon Merlin's Prophecy. Your thoughtfulness is greatly appreciated.

I am glad that you enjoyed Merlin's tale.
Dee Marie

message 19: by Bradley (new)

Bradley | 19 comments I review stuff, but I am a little picky. =) Plus my to-read pile is ridiculous. Although when *I* get a book to review it goes to the top of the pile. =)

http://www.cardshark.com/content/view...

message 20: by David (new)

David Korinetz | 77 comments I am always looking for people to review my Fantasy novel, FireDrakes. Just provide your mailing address by email.

message 21: by Linda (new)

Linda LaRoque | 2 comments Elijah, how about romance and time travels. Do you have someone who'd be interested in reviewing them?

Elijah wrote: "Just wanted to mention that I've managed to find a couple other reviewers and Goodreads members and so if anyone has historical fiction or sci-fi, we've got reviewers to take a look.

Please note t..."

Dee wrote: "Yippe Elijah,

I am both nervous and excited, and nervous again, but mostly excited.

Looking forward to your review :]"

message 22: by Elijah (new)

Elijah Meeks | 10 comments Hey Douglas, I don't have any non-fiction books to review, but I'm actually quite versed on the various forms of Buddhism, Islam, Daoism (What was known as Taoism--both philosophical and religious) as well as much of Western philosophy. It's the joy of being a historian of early China who got a degree in philosophy from a Jesuit institution. If you'd like me to review your book, send me a message and I'll get you an address to send it to.

message 23: by Sheila (new)

Sheila Hendrix (sheilahendrix) David wrote: "I am always looking for people to review my Fantasy novel, FireDrakes. Just provide your mailing address by email."

Hey David,

I'd love to review your book. Would you like my address here, or if you would like, tell me where to send an email to and I'll send there.

Also, I would like someone to reveiw Head Games, my second in The Dark Circle series. Anyone interested?

message 24: by Reed (new)

Reed (reedcritchfieldyahoocom) | 15 comments I guess I would like to piggy back on everyone else's request for a review. My manuscript is unpublished but edited. It's a New Age genre (I don't have the talent to write fiction). None-the-less I'm excited about the message I have. Is anyone interested in looking at it. It covers some fairly "heavy" subject matter but I try to keep it moving. :)

message 25: by Elijah (new)

Elijah Meeks | 10 comments My review of Lucifer and Lacious is up now over at Seven Lions.

message 26: by Sean (new)

Sean (svlehosit) Thank you for the honest review Elijah. I'd like to thank you for taking the time to read it.

message 27: by Dee (new)

Dee Marie (dee_marie) | 460 comments Hey Elijah,

Just a quick note to let you know that you book just arrived. It is now sitting on my bedside table in my reading queue :]