Chic Book Chick discussion

The Girl She Used To Be DISCUSSION-SPOILER ALERT!!

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amy (new)

Amy | 129 comments Mod
If you haven't read it yet..GO BACK..LOL...!!
We will be discussing the book here...feel free to add as you go..I will not close this discussion...
remember..no stress..:-)

message 2: by Amy (new)

Amy | 129 comments Mod
So, I know if you read my review, you already know I loved it...
but what I really really loved was the character development in this story
Melody- her innocence and insecurities, her lack of vanity, I loved her NAME
Jonathan- his need to breakaway from the whole mafia stereotype and be his own man, and yet not really able to because family has such an effect on who we are
What did you think about the ending?

message 3: by Christi (new)

Christi Snow I'm still on the fence about the ending...I would have liked it better if somehow he had managed to show that Jonathan had found her and was at least watching out for her from afar. He managed to track her for all of those 20 years...I don't think that it was that far-fetched that he'd manage to track her afterwards.

I also am NOT happy that they didn't have sex. I think that would have been a better gift to her than not doing so and leaving her a virgin.

I really liked the book though. I need some more time to absorb the story and think it through since I just finished it a couple of hours ago...

message 4: by Amy (new)

Amy | 129 comments Mod
I was pretty mad that they didn't end up having sex also...especially after that resturaunt scene...goodness gracious!! and in the last few pages, I kept hoping she'd get some sign to give me hope that he was still watching out for her...I'd like to believe that they do get togther at some point..maybe we can get Dave to write a sequel..LOL... but that's what I meant about the book's staying power...I'm still wondering about what happens next!

message 5: by Becky (new)

Becky (kysmom02) | 5 comments I agree about the sex comments above. I also would have liked to have had an ending that brought them together again in some way, however, that might have been a little to predictable. The ending as it is, kind of left us all with a bit of a surprise. That's why I liked it! I liked that it was different from what a reader suspects!

message 6: by Amy (new)

Amy | 129 comments Mod
Welcome Becky! Thanks for joining us!
I so agree, while I was frustrated at first I was also glad that it didn't have a predictable ending...

What did you guys think of Melody? At first, I thought "this chick is driving me nuts!" but as I got further into it, I could see things from her perspective, and I ended up really liking her...

message 7: by Becky (new)

Becky (kysmom02) | 5 comments I actually liked Melody from the beginning. A friend of mine also read this book and didn't like her. My friends view of it was that Melody's character wasn't believalbe. I didn't feel that way about her. It was easy to understand how lonley her life was and why she'd want to change her surroundings often. As far as I was concerned, she deserved to have things changed for her!

message 8: by Colleen (new)

Colleen (foreigncircuslibrary) | 8 comments It's funny- the love interest between the two of them was the weakest part of teh story for me. If it hadn't been for the magnificent ending, I don't think I would have reviewed this very highly.

On the other hand, my sister read it and had a completely different reaction (which is fairly unusual). She really disliked Melody, had no problem with the love affair, and hated the ending!

I did like the insights into the Witness Protection Program- I'd love to read a more factual book about it but am not sure such a thing exists (for obvious reasons)...

message 9: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn | 12 comments Okay - these two needed to find each other years down the road, and grow old together. My point is I guess I wonder why the author wanted to leave us at this point. In a book I want that happy ending. In some sense I think David thought he gave us one, but really she is no better off at the end of the book, as she was at the beginning. No love, no real name, just a ring from the money of who could've been her true love.
As for whether I like the book or not. I did enjoy reading it, but give me something with the characters hooking up. LOL

message 10: by Amy (new)

Amy | 129 comments Mod
It's on my to do list Carolyn..LOL...
I really wanted them to hook up to, BUT...I don't know sometimes I think the longing is almost as good and I thought it was played out really well in this story...
As for Melody I found her completely believable from the begginning, it's just at first I kind of wanted to smack her..LOL..but as it progressed I realized she's reacting in the only way she knows how

What was your favorite part of the story?

message 11: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn | 12 comments My favorite parts were(had more then one)LOL
- the bar scene with the college boys - love her break down how he was the wimpiest in the group and why he was the one who had to confront her. That was the part of her character I liked.
- her and Johnathan's walk on the harbor and had the seafood dinner - then the hotel going to bed moment.
- oh I can't forget she contacted Johnathan, while she was at the all nite cafe, that she ended up after the run in with the college boys, that's when I first really feel for the the bad guy.

message 12: by Christi (new)

Christi Snow What did y'all think about Sean? I couldn't decide whether I liked him or not....

Also, at the beginning of the story, I just could not understand why Melanie would just turn over her life on a whim... That was the only thing that really turned me off about her. It seemed like such a pathetic thing to do.

message 13: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn | 12 comments At first I thought Sean was going to be the love interest, but quickly that thought went out the window, and all I could think of is a man eating "chips" and kinda loafy.

Oh your right about just turning her life over like that. Actually if you were in that spot, wouldn't you just rush to Sean's room after the fact and tell him what had happen. hmmm, interesting thought there. I guess I got wrapped up with the escape to the Italian restaurant. Then I'm rooting for the bad guy. LOL

message 14: by Becky (new)

Becky (kysmom02) | 5 comments I think that rooting for the bad guy made the story different. If Melody and Sean would have fallen for each other and taken on the mob guys, it would have been too typical and predictable.

message 15: by Amy (new)

Amy | 129 comments Mod
I agree Becky it's kind of more fun to root for the bad guy...as far as why she didn't go tell Sean right away..I think the trust factor went way down when he was out walking the beach and Jonathan was able to get in her room, plus he used her name...I think her interest in Sean was really just based on the fact that he was male and she's been so starved for attention she just wanted him to notice her... oh and I know what you mean Christi..that's what I meant about kind of wanting to smack her in the beginning...LOL

message 16: by Amy (new)

Amy | 129 comments Mod
bumping back to top....
Is anyone else reading this? Where are you and what do you think so far?

message 17: by Mary (new)

Mary Cody (maryc1959) | 4 comments I am reading it. I am doing a couple of books at the same time and that is hard for me to juggle. I am early in the story and so far, I think Melody is annoying. In reading the other posts, perhaps that will change for me also.
I am bummed to know that she never has sex...I like the steamy parts...LOL. The other book I am reading is about the Constitution and there is no sex in there either. (I know, I am sarcastic - sorry).
I'll try to read faster so I can give you a better comment. :)

message 18: by Amy (new)

Amy | 129 comments Mod
Mary...there's no sex...but there are very sexy and sensual scenes...in the end I think it's what had to happen I'll be curious to hear what you think and...sorry you read this before you finished it LOL...

message 19: by Mary (new)

Mary Cody (maryc1959) | 4 comments I never care about spoilers. I can enjoy the story even if I know what happens. I have also been known to read the last chapter before I am done with the book. Sometimes the suspense is just more than I can stand.

message 20: by Jeanne (new)

Jeanne (jeanneb) | 11 comments Okay I finished the book. Liked it. I liked Melody and the scene that ripped at my heart strings was the baby monitor to get that connection of family. Can you imagine the guilt she was carrying having spilled the beans that not only made her family have to move on a couple occasions but that ultimately led to her parents death. Of course she has feelings for both Sean and Jonathan, this girl has been alone for how long since losing her parents and both these guys know who she really is. She hoped Sean would be the one cause he was the traditional 'good guy' but when Jonathan showed a real connection to who she was (note the Suduko puzzle book Sean picked up vs. the heavy Math volume Jonathan got).

message 21: by Amy (new)

Amy | 129 comments Mod
Jeanne, I so agree with you...I so felt for Melody, it's like she couldn't help herself..she knew she was so wrong to keep doing things to cause them to have to move...but she needed that human connection so badly she just couldn't stop...

message 22: by Kelly (new)

Kelly | 8 comments Okay...just joined the group and just joined the discussion. :) First, I adored this book. It was everything I like in a book. Really I was surprised at how much I liked it. I may be one of the only people who was glad they didn't have sex and this is why. It showed that Jonathan really had feelings for her. Because honestly sex is a huge connection and it can be beyond hard to get over someone if you have feelings for them and then top it off with a nice hot sexual romp let alone if it is your FIRST time! :) Jonathan didn't know what would happen for them, and it seemed really genuine that he wanted to allow her to saver that part of herself.
I liked the ending because it wasn't your typical walk-hand-in-hand into the sunset ending. Let's face it, life is not like that especially when you have complications like Melody and Jonathan experienced. I love a happy ending, but sometimes it seems like a story can be so full of ups and downs and then all gets tied up in a neat little bow with the greatest of ease. I like that it is not so simple in this book. :)

message 23: by Jeanne (new)

Jeanne (jeanneb) | 11 comments I agree with Kelly and also am glad that Melody and Jonathan didn't have sex. Not that I don't like a good love scene in a book but too many fall back on that as just inevitable. It was good to see the book more story driven. And the ending didn't tie everything up in a neat little bow like we might have liked. I was pleasantly surprised to have Melody in a better place not just safety wise thanks to Jonathan's actions but in a better place finding herself as a person.

message 24: by Amy (new)

Amy | 129 comments Mod
Welcome Kelly, thanks for joining us!
At first I was disappointed, of course I wanted them to end up together, but in the end I was also glad they didn't. I think the author ended it perfectly...I'm just trying to figure out a way to talk him into writing a sequel,LOL, I think there's so much more to be told here...Did you find yourself thinking about Melody and Jonathan for a while after you finished?..They are still sticking with me...
Kelly I have an interview with DC on my blog if you get time to check it out!

message 25: by Deirdre (new)

Deirdre | 5 comments I posted my review over on my blog:
http://streetcornerlibrary.blogspot.c...

I really enjoyed this book but the ending was extremely unsatisfying to me...