Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Melodie's March Reads

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3641 comments I read 14 books in March! I think that's the best month I've had since I started keeping records.

A KISS BEFORE THE APOCALYSE by Thomas E. Sniegoski: 1st in Remy Chandler series. I REALLY enjoyed this book. There was a short story by this author with this character in MEAN STREETS and I thought it was the best story in the book. I ordered this after that and am sorry I took so long to get to it. Remy is an angel who chose to deny Heaven and live on Earth among humans. He makes a living as a P.I. in Boston. In this book he is approached by a couple of Archangels to help find the Angel of Death who is missing. Other beings and entities are now after the sealed scrolls that can awaken the 4 Horsemen of the Apocalypse and bring about the end of the world. Enjoyed the story and the characters and particularly like the way Remy communicates with his dog, Marlowe. Grade: 9.5

PUSHING UP DAISIES by Rosemary Harris: 1st in Paula Holliday Dirty Business series. Paula is a gardener with a business in a small Connecticut town. She gets hired to restore the grounds of a landmark home in the area and discovers the remains of a baby buried in one of the gardens. Not a bad story, but I'm not a gardener at all so not really up my alley. Grade: 6

THE WITCH'S GRAVE by Shirley Damsgaard: newest in Abby & Ophelia series. Ophelia has gotten much more likeable and I've always liked Abby, but this story just didn't to it for me. The story revolves around reincarnation which isn't something that interests me a lot. Grade: 5

YOU'RE THE ONE THAT I HAUNT by Terri Garey: 3rd in Nikki Styx series. I like this series. Nikki is an interesting character as is her boyfriend and her business partner. Sammy has returned in this one (is he really the Devil in the flesh?) and is making Nikki & her sweetie, Joe's lives miserable with the ghost of a patient of Joe's who died. The ghost is a strong one who has the ability to take over the bodies of others. Nikki is trying to put the ghost to rest, save her soul from Sammy and keep Joe out of court. Grade: 9

CREAM PUFF MURDER by Joanne Fluke: newest Hannah Swensen book. The story in this one was pretty good and it appears the silliness with Hannah/Norman/Mike might be coming to a close. Grade: 8

THE MESSENGER by Jan Burke: I had never read this author before and this is an apparent departure from what she usually writes. The story revolves around Tyler Hawthorne, the Messenger. He has the ability to hear dying people's last thoughts and can communicate them to their families and loved ones. He's a couple hundred years old and also has a great dog. The dog's a cemetery dog, an apparent rare thing. Anyway, this was a bit different, but I liked it..mostly. Grade: 6.5

FOR A FEW DEMONS MORE by Kim Harrison: from her Rachel Morgan series. I've had this on The Pile for some time so finally decided to get to it. I've never really "gotten" this character or the series. Don't know why I've continued to buy the books. Grade: 5

THE OUTLAW DEMON WAILS by Kim Harrison: another Rachel Morgan book and I liked it less than the other one. Grade: 4.5

OOLONG DEAD by Laura Childs: newest Tea Shop mystery. I know I'm definitely in the minority, but I like this series for the most part. In this one Theodosia comes upon the body of her ex-fiance's sister at a horseriding event. Grade: 8

HOUNDING THE PAVEMENT by Judi McCoy: 1st in Dog Walker series. Ellie Engelman is newly divorced and has just started a dog walking business in NYC. While gathering her charges for their morning walk she comes upon the body of one of her clients and discovers this his champion Bichon Frise is also missing. Ellie can hear the thoughts of dogs which is the hook here. The whole thing was pretty silly, but I liked all the different dog personalities. Grade: 6

WHITE WITCH, BLACK CURSE by Kim Harrison: newest Rachel Morgan and the last one I will bother with. Don't like this character, don't like the story line. The only thing I like is Jenks! Grade: 4

LOVE MERCY by Earlene Fowler: Standalone from the author of my favorite Benni Harper series. I mentioned this book on the AOL board so won't go into detail. I really liked it. Grade: 9.5

MARKED by P.C. & Kristin Cast: 1st in House of Night series. I hated this book. I finished it buy I don't know why. Grade: 1

Evil In Carnations: newest Abby Knight Flower Shop mystery. Abby's roomate, Nicki, is suspected of murder. These books aren't great writing but I do like most of the characters. Grade: 7.5

Not a bad month!

message 2: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14966 comments Melodie:
You did have a great book count this month! I have two Kim Harrison books in the tbr pile and haven't been able to get into either of them. Too bad. They "sounded" good.
Melodie wrote: "I read 14 books in March! I think that's the best month I've had since I started keeping records. ___, ___,___by Kim Harrison: Don't know why I've continued to buy the books.

message 3: by Merrilee in AZ (new)

Merrilee in AZ | 1117 comments Ann wrote: "Melodie:
You did have a great book count this month! I have two Kim Harrison books in the tbr pile and haven't been able to get into either of them. Too bad. They "sounded" good.
Melodie wrote: ..."

I really love Kim Harrison. I'm a fan of all kinds of vampire books.

message 4: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3641 comments
I really love Kim Harrison. I'm a fan of all kinds of vampire books.

I love all kinds of vampire books, too, Merrilee. Just not these. Can't put my finger on just exactly why. She has a YA book coming out next month, I think, that I want to try. Maybe I'll like it. I grew tired of Rachel Caine's Weather Warden books early on, but I love her YA Morganville Vampires series.