Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Policies & Practices > Pope Francis

Comments (showing 1-7 of 7) (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nickname (last edited Mar 25, 2013 05:51AM) (new)

Nickname | 70 comments A superlibrarian says: "Don't change this author's name to "Pope Francis"; if he begins publishing under that name the new books can be credited to that name, but the existing ones need to keep their existing author names"

Now I've inserted this book Aprite la mente al vostro cuore. The author is "Papa Francesco" (Pope Francis in English) and not J.M. Bergoglio.
But the original book was published with J.M. Bergoglio as author.
How I can combine these two books?

message 2: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 32182 comments Mod
Same as with any pseudonym or name change: list as primary author the original name, and the new name as secondary.

message 3: by Nickname (new)

Nickname | 70 comments rivka wrote: "Same as with any pseudonym or name change: list as primary author the original name, and the new name as secondary."

Thank you, rivka!

message 4: by Vicky (new)

Vicky (librovert) | 2459 comments Someone combined the Pope Francis/Bergoglio profiles again. Ugh.

I renamed the merged profile to Jorge Mario Bergoglio and added the book Nicknamed mentioned above under Pope Francis to get that profile started. I put "see also" notes with links to the other profile in the author bio and added new librarian notes on both profiles to hopefully keep it from happening again.

But now I'm running into all kinds of confusing issues sorting his books.

1. There are several Spanish language books that have publication dates prior to the beginning of Francis' papacy that show Pope Francis as the author on WorldCat.

Example: Corrupción y Pecado, WorldCat

I'm would assume that since he wasn't the Pope in 2005, that such books can safely stay under Bergoglio?

2. This work is a special kind of headache.

It was originally published in 2010 in Spanish and it looks like it's about to be released in English (and reprinted in Spanish) as Pope Francis' first official book. The problem is that the author listed for the book is not consistent.

#9780770435066 is listed on WorldCat under Bergoglio and though the subtitle of the book says Pope Francis, the author on the cover still appears to be Bergoglio.

#9780804164122 (Books on Tape's Audio CD) is listed on WorldCat as Pope Francis while 9780804164108 (RandomHouse's Audio CD) is listed under Borgoglio.

All of the book covers (for all the languages) list Jorge Bergoglio and Abraham Skorka and only mention Pope Francis in the subtitle of the book.

So, I'm not really sure how to separate those. If anyone wants to take a crack at it, feel free!

message 5: by Nickname (new)

Nickname | 70 comments Some days ago I found in the book I added two authors.
Pope Francis (that I created as rivka suggested) and Pope Francis (Jorge Mario Bergoglio) that was Jorge Mario Bergoglio. In this profile Cait's note was deleted and the profile was merged with Pope Francis.
I think if super-librarian could block an author page (such as in wikipedia) we won't have these problems.
But I don't understand why for pope Benedict XVI - Joseph Ratzinger we have only one profile. I have some books written by Joseph Ratzinger and they are listed under pope Benedict XVI.

message 6: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 32182 comments Mod
Nickname wrote: "But I don't understand why for pope Benedict XVI - Joseph Ratzinger we have only one profile."

There didn't use to be. >_<

message 7: by Banjomike (new)

Banjomike | 5524 comments Would it be worth adding the librarians note in Spanish as well as English?

Also, the Bergolio profile should presumably have piccie of him as a cardinal and not as the Pope. It might help to make the distinction between the two profiles a bit more obvious (Yeah, right).