Ratebeer Readers discussion

1 view
L. Ron Hubbard

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Frank (new)

Frank Hays (logicalfrank) | 40 comments Has anyone read any of his stuff? I am not even remotely interested in Dianetics/Scientology but I enjoy a good space opera here and there and I understand that was his business before he decided to stop writing science fiction for a penny a word and go to where the real money was, religion. I guess for better or worse reasons he's one of the most famous--important even--science fiction authors ever so I can't help but be curious. I was considering reading Battlefield Earth but then found out that it written after he went cult leader and, more so than that, it was a thousand pages long. I am not so interested in reading a thousand pages or a hundred if it's all crap.

message 2: by Muzzlehatch (last edited Jan 16, 2008 08:21AM) (new)

Muzzlehatch | 168 comments I might have read one or two of his earlier (1940s) stories at some point, but that's about it. I'm interested in reading it someday; he published a lot in "Unknown" which was the leading (only?) fantasy magazine in the WWII years, and most of the stories/authors that I've encountered from its pages are pretty interesting.

I saw the film version of BE, which was funny enough to be a great bad movie; can't even imagine what 1000 pages of that stuff in print would be like. Probably worse than Rand.

message 3: by Nate (new)

Nate (gueuze) | 13 comments I read Battlefield Earth in during high school ... never saw the movie. I thoroughly enjoyed the book; thought it was a good sci-fi yarn. I can't recall any wacky cult references. I re-read it a couple times after that, and it led me to read (also during high school) the Mission Earth decology, which were decent but not great.

message 4: by Frank (new)

Frank Hays (logicalfrank) | 40 comments Yeah, if you look at the reviews around here and elsewhere it seems like a lot of people did exactly that: read Battlefield Earth, liked it, moved on to Mission Earth and thought it wasn't so great. Maybe I will put Battlefield on the long list.

message 5: by Ragallachmc (new)

Ragallachmc | 8 comments Battlefield Earth was pretty good, albeit a bit longish.

I liked parts of the Mission Earth series, but overall it's waaaay too long and chock full of Scientologist craziness.

Mitch(beerguy101) Adelson (beerguy101) | 1 comments I read it years ago, I think I bought all 10 book in Hardcover for about $25. They are in a book in the storage locker somewhere. I might re-read them at some time.