Horror Aficionados discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
The Tomb of Terminated Threads > Anyone Ever Come Close to Dying?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 81 (81 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments It's Friday. I'm bored. Has anyone almost died or thought you were going to?

Back in the eighties when I ate that nasty stuff called beef, I was in a T.G.I. Friday's and took a too-large bite of a steak sandwich. It got lodged in my throat--wouldn't go down or up. I sat in my chair, watching the edge of my vision blur, knowing I was going to die, and was actually at peace with it. The glob finally went down.

Anyone remember the McDonald's mass shooting in California back in the eighties? That scared the hell out of me, and it was on my mind whenever I went to a McDonald's.

When I was 17 I was sitting in a drive-thru at a McDonald's and was waiting to order. I watched a car park near the bushes and a tall person dressed as a ninja complete with a face covering got out holding a gun. I sat stunned and calmly waited to be shot in the head. The person passed by my car and went inside for a Halloween party.

message 2: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey (linbo) | 21 comments it's insane how many times i almost drowned as a kid. you think i would have learned to stay away from water after the third time. but no, to this day i still love water, as long as it's not the beach. the ocean terrifies me. D=

message 3: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 74 comments This is probably the silliest "near death" (if it can even be called that...not sure you can even die this way.) experience ever.

I think I was about 6 or 7, and I had left a juice box out on my porch for a day. The next day, I was thirsty, and thought nothing of drinking out of a day old juice box left outside overnight...well, as soon as I took a sip, I started choking- of course, ants had been attracted to the sugar...so I almost choked to death on a couple of live ants...:\ My mom literally thought I was going to die.

Pretty funny now though haha...I actually think I ended up swallowing them :x

message 4: by William (new)

William (acknud) | 0 comments I got shot three times in the head by a serial killer then hung by a meat hook in the rectum for a day....wait....that was the dream I had last night.

message 5: by Rusty (new)

Rusty (rustyshackleford) | 134 comments I missed a drive-by shooting by a couple minutes when I was visiting some friends in South Central L.A. Some M.S. 13 gangsters shot up a little mercado for some reason. If we were faster walkers, we would have been there for the main event.

Maybe that's why I've never gotten into running.

message 6: by Tressa (last edited Apr 03, 2009 10:50PM) (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Rob, I find this a fascinating topic. I've heard some interesting stories from people over the years.

Oh, I almost forgot that when I was about 16 I had no fear--unlike now--of anything and swam out so far in the ocean I could barely see the shore. Some men my dad knew passed me on my way out and went to tell my dad. I had a hard time fighting the current back to land. Boy, that was stupid.

When I was in high school I went camping with my friend and her CAP group. We met an older guy--late twenties--and went into the woods with him and sat and talked. He was pretty weird and I'm surprised I'm not buried out there in a shallow grave.

message 7: by Emma (new)

Emma Audsley (emmaaudsley) | 47 comments I was attacked in 2000 & ended up with a bad head injury....I had to learn how to walk & talk again.

message 8: by Tressa (last edited Apr 04, 2009 12:12AM) (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Em, I'm so sorry. Mine are more near misses of my own stupidity. I can't imagine what it would be like to attacked.

I missed a drive-by shooting by a couple minutes when I was visiting some friends in South Central L.A. Some M.S. 13 gangsters shot up a little mercado for some reason. If we were faster walkers, we would have been there for the main event.

My sister did a stint as a traveling nurse at a hospital in L.A. I can't remember if it was in South Central, but she said the hospital actually had a mini police station inside it.

Tim (Mole) The Gunslinger (Mole) | 10 comments Well ive almost OD'D on Blow about a thousand times back in the day drove drunk and wrecked I really should be dead but for some reason the good lord thinks there is something else i shoul;d do I have changed alot since i was young and im glad but i dont have any regrets whats done is done!

message 10: by Paul (new)

Paul | 123 comments Where do I start?

Being attacked by a shark in the Mediterranean when I was nine? Actually, attacked is perhaps strong. It was curious, and brushed past. I still have the scar where its fin cut my leg open.

Falling out of a third story window when drunk, landing on builders' rubble? Walked away from that one with mild concussion.

Being held up at gunpoint by bandits in the Mexican desert? Left thirty miles from anywhere with just my underpants? That was interesting :)

Being shot at by an armed robber in a Burger King in Colorado? Missed by two inches.

Waking up to find a rattlesnake coiled on top of your sleeping bag? Again, high up, miles from anywhere. Ate the snake in revenge for thirty miinutes of terror.

More recently, stepping in to stop a fight, and having the s**t kicked out of me by three total strangers, one of whom smashed a bottle over my head. I have scars from that one as well.

Apart from the snake, none of those were really all that scary. They just happened, and I responded. It was only afterwards that I got the shakes.

I believe that Ozzy Osbourne and Iggy Pop once had a contest snorting ants, 'cos they'd run out of cocaine ;)

message 11: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Tim, glad you were able to live and learn from your drug experiences. You too, Rob.

Paul, you've lived quite an adventurous life!

I forgot I fell down our back steps when I was 3 and was knocked out for quite a while.

message 12: by Felts (new)

Felts When I was five I was playing "tag" with another kid at his house. I was "it" and chasing him through his house. He decided to run out the front door, but when he did he slammed the storm door shut in front of me. I was too close behind him and running too fast to stop, so I lowered my head and dove through the bottom glass section of the storm door. I did a somersault and landed on the top step of his porch. I was dazed, and felt something sharp rubbing against the inside of my upper arm, and when I looked down, there was a piece of glass sticking out of my chest. Being only five and not knowing you don't pull things out of your body when they get lodged in, I grabbed the glass and yanked. What came out of me was a five inch piece of glass and a whole lotta blood. The doctors said it glanced off a rib perfectly and missed my lung. And luckily it was on my right side, they say if it would have gone in the other side my heart would have been punctured. So, that's how I learned why you don't run in the house!

message 13: by Patrick (new)

Patrick (patmagazine) | 5 comments Last month, I was walking home at night from a friend's house (Chicago west side), cutting through a vacant lot when I heard a car coming up behind me, which I thought was odd because the adjacent street doesn't actually intersect. Before I could turn around, I felt something hit the backs of my legs and the next thing I knew, I was on the hood of the car, which was still going. I somehow rolled off the left side and hit the ground, then saw the rear wheel coming at me and had to keep rolling out of the way. I jumped up, and the car began circling me to the left like they were trying to hit me again, so I sprinted to the back of the lot, out the alley to the right, then cut left and starting running down the street. Of course, all the gates are locked, I looked behind me after a couple blocks and didn't see the car, finally found an open entryway and hid in between two houses for like a half hour until I was sure they weren't looking to finish me off. I couldn't call anyone because my phone was shut off due to never paying it on time. The only thing that hurt was my left hip, which was barely bruised. Good times.

message 14: by Emma (new)

Emma Audsley (emmaaudsley) | 47 comments It may sound completely nutty but after the head injury I had a sense that there was more out there around us than we can see or understand?! It was a really strange feeling....anyone else had that kind of epithany after a near-miss?

message 15: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Felts, that was a close call. Freak accidents or the potential of freak accidents scare the hell out of me. A kid wakes up one morning, is having a blast playing with a friend, and comes close to dying. Pretty scary stuff.

Patrick, I can't believe a driver saw you walking and just decided to kill you with his car. That's cold. I always thought the south side of Chicago was the bad side. Or that's what I learned from the "Leroy Brown" song.

Em, when I've had close calls it made me appreciate life more...for a short while. Then I gradually forget how close I came to tragedy. Are you saying you sense spirits among us?

message 16: by Rusty (new)

Rusty (rustyshackleford) | 134 comments Tressa, it was probably Leroy Brown driving. He is meaner than a junkyard dog, you know.

message 17: by Emma (last edited Apr 05, 2009 03:50AM) (new)

Emma Audsley (emmaaudsley) | 47 comments Tressa wrote: "Felts, that was a close call. Freak accidents or the potential of freak accidents scare the hell out of me. A kid wakes up one morning, is having a blast playing with a friend, and comes close to d..."

Not quite but I get a hell of a lot of deja-vu! Good at guessing stuff about people too! The strangest thing started when I was a teenager but only happened once....it got more predictable after the head injury. I get this sickly-sweet flowery smell before-and here's the nutty bit?!- before someone passes away. It's usually with people I know sometimes with ones I don't. The cruel part is that I had that smell right before I miscarried TWO babies????! Odd eh?! I feel like I should be able to warn people about it but it doesn't seem to work that way.

message 18: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Em, that is odd and an ability I wouldn't want to have.

I've only had one premonition in my life and it happened when I was a teenager: I was watching Mad Max late one night and had just seen the part where his wife and son are run down in the street. I knew something similar was going to happen to one of my pets that night. So, I made sure our dog was in the fence and my cat was inside. Went to bed feeling scared but satisfied I had prevented anything that could happen.

We were awakened by a neighbor banging on our front door--the dog had gotten out and got hit by a car. I don't even know how he got out because he never had before. I knew when I heard the knocking it had happened.

message 19: by Emma (new)

Emma Audsley (emmaaudsley) | 47 comments Tressa wrote: "Em, that is odd and an ability I wouldn't want to have.

I've only had one premonition in my life and it happened when I was a teenager: I was watching Mad Max late one night and had just seen the..."

God, that must have messed with your head?! It's certainly an ability I would rather not have believe me! Apparently people seem (well, some at least!) to develop or rather attain strange things like premonitions or become more in tune with people around them. I just wish I could have developed the ability to predict lottery numbers though....saying that I seem to be able to predict a fair few Football scores without knowing much about football....well I am a girl after all!!!!

message 20: by Tressa (last edited Apr 06, 2009 09:22AM) (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments It did mess with my head, but I don't think much about it since it never happened again. We got our dog to the vet and he lived for many more years. It was just strange to KNOW that something was going to happen, and when it did I was only surprised because I thought I had prevented any escapes.

I don't know jack about the rules of football; I only watch Alabama college football. Roll tide!

message 21: by Ravenskya (new)

Ravenskya  (ravenskya) Roll Tide? I guess I can forgive you for that - If I have to watch SEC I go for the Dawgs or the Tide... YEAY BIG 10 - I'm a Buckeye all the way, no matter how many bowl games we lose!

I feel like I've had many near-death experiences... but since I never died I'm not sure how near I was...

Once when I was little and playing in the ocean a windsurfer came in and jumped off his board, the board hit me and knocked me under the water and the sail landed ontop of me... I couldn't get out from under it and thought I was going to drown... lucky for my my dad saw the whole thing and came flying out there to get me...

The other would be during a rather "experimental" time in my life when I went way beyond too much... my only recollection was laying there thinking that I was going to die and how dying that way would devistate my parents. It ended that period of my life - so I guess in the end it WAS a death of sorts. Now I have no patience with the drug culture.

message 22: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments We beat Auburn this year. That is all I care about.

Those two experiences sound like you came very close to dying. Luckily your dad was there to save you from the first one; your body and your will for the second.

I lived a sheltered life and didn't hang around with dangerous people and never took drugs. I did go wild with the drinking my junior and senior years, but luckily I lived through them.

message 23: by Jason (new)

Jason I was in an elevator with someone when they crapped there pants. That's kinda like dying horribly.

message 24: by GracieKat (new)

GracieKat | 195 comments In '97 I was in a car accident. I was turning and was rear-ended by a car going sixty miles an hour with a trailer and Sea-Doos on the back. My steering wheel was turned so it pushed me into the opposite lane where I was hit again by another car going roughly the same speed. Luckily, all I got out of it was a banged up face and a neck injury that has turned into Fibromyalgia. Looking at pictures of my car I feel very lucky to be alive. Fortunately I was driving an '85 El Camino when cars were still made out of metal and the bed caught most of the impact. If I'd been in a smaller car the cops told me I would have been dead. The crazy thing is, right after the accident, when the EMT's were there they told me to just go home and take a hot bath after I told them that I had a headache, stiff neck and the left side of my face was so swollen it looked like an alien head. Yeah, we've got great rescue teams out here.

message 25: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Jason, unless the elevator was in free fall, there is no excuse to crap one's pants in an elevator.

Man, Grace! My husband loved his "cruck" and is always talking about it. I do believe that's the only reason you're still with us today. Imagine if you were in a Smart Car, lol.

You should have been checked out at the hospital for those kinds of injuries!

message 26: by GracieKat (new)

GracieKat | 195 comments Yikes! I was scared enough picturing myself in my old Sable! I miss my Camino, it was my favorite car. Trust me, the EMT's in my area are barely competent.

message 27: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments My husband said he got about 9 miles to the gallon in the Camino, lol.

message 28: by Anna (new)

Anna (stregamari) | 252 comments omg jason, that cracked me up!

message 29: by GracieKat (new)

GracieKat | 195 comments Yeah, they're definitely gas guzzlers!

message 30: by Kristy (new)

Kristy (kristabela) | 121 comments I feel like I come close to dying every time I wake up. Like there's a dude in a long black robe carrying a scythe around every corner.

message 31: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Kristy, I know what you mean. Wonder how many close calls we have but never know about? Scary stuff.

message 32: by GracieKat (new)

GracieKat | 195 comments I know what you mean Anything could happen. If we walk down one street but not another, if we turn one place but not another. It's creepy when you think about it.

message 33: by Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (last edited May 07, 2009 10:13AM) (new)

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) I was riddled with a bacterial infection in 1999 while I was pregnant with my daughter... Incredibly long and complicated story short: I did almost die. She didn't make it. I've never been so ill in my entire life, before or since. It was horrible.

message 34: by Kristy (new)

Kristy (kristabela) | 121 comments Jo wrote: "I was riddled with a bacterial infection in 1999 while I was pregnant with my daughter... Incredibly long and complicated story short: I did almost die. She didn't make it. I've never been so i..."

Wow dude, that's really sad. I'm sorry for your loss.

message 35: by Emma (new)

Emma Audsley (emmaaudsley) | 47 comments Jo wrote: "I was riddled with a bacterial infection in 1999 while I was pregnant with my daughter... Incredibly long and complicated story short: I did almost die. She didn't make it. I've never been so i..." Sorry you lost your child, it's not easy....I've lost three. I know how hard it can be.

message 36: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments What a sad story, Jo. I'm sorry for your loss and sorry you were so sick.

I had a bad infection after a surgery and they are very hard to recuperate from.

Em, I'm sorry about your losses, too.

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) Thank you Kristy & Tressa - Em, thank you too and I am sorry for your losses too. Losing one has been hard enough, I cannot imagine what you've been through.

message 38: by Emma (new)

Emma Audsley (emmaaudsley) | 47 comments Jo wrote: "Thank you Kristy & Tressa - Em, thank you too and I am sorry for your losses too. Losing one has been hard enough, I cannot imagine what you've been through." Sometimes Life has it's own plans & it does'nt always go the way we hope or wish for. There's a reason for everything I guess?! Thanks for the kind words & be thankful that your'e still here Jo.

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) I am thankful Em - it took September 11th and finally meeting my Husband to bring me to that point though.

message 40: by Charles (new)

Charles (tonalized) | 16 comments My friend Derek & I was struck by lightning in 1987 and I was clinically dead for a brief period. We were on Rescue 911. Check it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VC9-RP...

message 41: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments I remember seeing this when it aired. Are you two still friends? Glad there was no lasting damage.

message 42: by Mechelle (new)

Mechelle | 9 comments Grace wrote: " In '97 I was in a car accident. I was turning and was rear-ended by a car going sixty miles an hour with a trailer and Sea-Doos on the back. My steering wheel was turned so it pushed me into the o..."

I totally relate! That is great that you made it (no thanks to the EMTs). For what it is worth, about 10 years ago a semi began to change in to my lane on the interstate -- long story short, I swerved and my car flipped about 6 times over the opposite side of the interstate. I was certain I would die, but the point is there was no drama or regret or even fear; just sad that I could never tell friends and family "Goodbye." I wonder if this is what most people feel when faced with death. Anyway, I still hate driving :)

message 43: by Charles (new)

Charles (tonalized) | 16 comments Tressa wrote: "I remember seeing this when it aired. Are you two still friends? Glad there was no lasting damage."

He moved away, but we still get together every couple of years and have drinks.

message 44: by Jo (new)

Jo Wow i feel very lucky! They are some very scary stories! Sorry to hear about the losses of babies too!

message 45: by Anna (new)

Anna (stregamari) | 252 comments Em wrote: "Jo wrote: "I was riddled with a bacterial infection in 1999 while I was pregnant with my daughter... Incredibly long and complicated story short: I did almost die. She didn't make it. I've neve..."

awww, yes, much sympathy for the loss of your child. I lost one myself, I was in my fifth month, it was horrible! The worst part was dealing with people afterwards; they either said oh, it was probably for the best, or; well, it wasn't really a baby, at least you didn't get attached! grrr!

haven't had any close calls, although getting out of my first marriage felt pretty close :)

message 46: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments I'm so sorry, Anna.I can't imagine losing a child. I thought I was having a miscarriage (was just a horrible kidney stone passing through) in my second trimester and all the hopes and dreams I had built up in my mind for my baby were about to end. It was a horrible feeling.

The loss of my child would be the most devastating thing that could ever happen in my life.

message 47: by Anna (new)

Anna (stregamari) | 252 comments Patrick wrote: "Last month, I was walking home at night from a friend's house (Chicago west side), cutting through a vacant lot when I heard a car coming up behind me, which I thought was odd because the adjacent ..."

oh my gosh! i hope you found whoever that was and broke their kneecaps

message 48: by Patrick (new)

Patrick (horrorshow) | 83 comments The only dying story I could think of being close to was almost falling into a pit with several steel posts for our house's addition. I as a deaf person was not told that the back door of my parents' house had no porch behind it. An inch to left I could have been impaled.

My brother saw the whole thing from outside. He said it was like watching a cartoon. First the back door opened. I walked out and then froze midair and then plopped in the pit. Then he heard me crying and screaming. He still laughed about it.

message 49: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments OMG, Patrick. Your parents couldn't tell you on paper? Or show you? How far did you fall? Some people laugh when they've been given a bad fright. Maybe this is what your brother did.

message 50: by Patrick (new)

Patrick (horrorshow) | 83 comments To be fair, I got excited when I saw the neighbor friend of my brother and brother in the tree house out back and I rushed through the house to go outside and play with them up in the tree house. My mom knows signs and my dad know some but I was going to fast when I walked out the back door. My brother laughed because he thought it was funny, but if I was killed, he might have been sad. (hopefully.)

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.