Q&A with David Liss discussion

Ethical Assassin vs. Historical Fictions

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kirk (new)

Kirk | 1 comments Hi David,
Let me start out by saying I’ve read both the Coffee Trader and Ethical Assassin and loved them both. But to me they seem like somewhat different books with Ethical Assassin being a change from you normal writing…what I consider to be historical fiction. I was wondering what the decision/thought process is when you start new books and when you decided to write the Ethical Assassin.

Thanks and I can’t wait to read the two new ones coming out!
Kirk

message 2: by David (new)

David | 9 comments Mod
Kirk,

Thanks for the question. I love writing historical fiction, but I mostly read contemporary stuff. I’d always wanted to write a contemporary novel, and after writing three historical books, I figured it was time or it would, in some sense, be too late. And for years I’d been thinking of doing something with animal rights, and so it all came together.

When I started writing Ethical Assassin I thought – Wow, this is so much fun. I’m never writing historical fiction again – but then when I finished, I couldn’t wait to get back to the historical stuff. The two books I’ve completed since are both historical, though I’m working on another contemporary book right now.

I guess the bottom line is that I want to write the book I want to write, and so far I’ve been lucky enough to have a publisher who will let me do that.