Book Worms discussion

Books you HAVEN'T read that everyone else has

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by MAP (last edited Apr 03, 2009 10:01AM) (new)

MAP I was wondering, fellow book worms, what books or series you haven't read that it seems like most people in the world have.

I've never read the Harry Potter books.
I've never read the Twilight books.
(I've never seen any movies of those either)

I don't really have anything against them, but I was just a little too old to be the target age group when either series started, and by the time they respectively filtered up to my age group, I just didn't have an interest, I was reading other things. But because I AM such a book worm, most of my friends and acquaintances are surprised I've never read these incredibly popular things. But I think, for whatever reason, it's somehow because I'm a book worm that I don't. (Still working out the theories on why)

I've also never read the Da Vinci Code, but that's because as an art history minor in college I heard everything about it (and therefore heard all the stupid stuff he made up about Leonardo and Renaissance paintings etc) and it made me so frustrated that there was no way I was going to give money to Dan Brown.

Do you have anything like that? Like when everyone and their mom seems to have read "A Million Little Pieces" or "The Kite Runner" and you just can't get yourself to hop on board? Why do you think it is? I have some ideas, but I'd rather hear others' opinions.

message 2: by Wanda (last edited Apr 03, 2009 10:24AM) (new)

Wanda (wanda514) MAP, I have never read the Twilight books, either. I have read Harry Potter (only really liked the first one).

I am not sure why there are some books I avoid like the plague. Some pique my interest and then I wish I had never heard of them (those usually find their way to the used book store or donated to the hospital or the library). For instance, I got pulled into the hype about Nefertiti (I love ancient Egypt and thought it would be a good read). Well, turns out to read just like another book by an author I don't like and so it remains unfinished. I mailed it off to another Goodreads reader.

Then I read the mixed reviews for The Gargoyle and now I have it and I am not sure I will like it. I like the subject matter (shades of Dante's Inferno) so we will see.

I find that I am most susceptible to being pulled into the "following the popular crowd train of thought" when I don't know what to read next. I really need to map out my reading material so that I don't go to the store and just stare at the titles/book covers and pick up something I will later regret. The instant gratification of a bright shiny is not a just reward for a stinker book.

message 3: by Misfit (new)

Misfit | 75 comments Mod
Jeez, I'm in line with MAP again.

Harry Potter (might one of the these days though)
The Twighlight books (maybe)
The Da Vinci Code (never)

Wanda, if I'm ever not sure or its a brand new author to me I go to the library. They hit the wall much easier that way. Although I do have a well funded county library so they get most of the new stuff and most of my purchase requests have been honored.

message 4: by Wanda (new)

Wanda (wanda514) Misfit wrote: "Jeez, I'm in line with MAP again.

Harry Potter (might one of the these days though)
The Twighlight books (maybe)
The Da Vinci Code (never)

Wanda, if I'm ever not sure or its a brand new aut..."

You are 100% correct, Misfit. The library is the way to go if only they would cater their hours to mine. During the week, the library is closed by the time I get home and on the weekends, I am busy with William and he is not always amenable to going to the library with Mom (he'd rather play with his friends). Being a married "single" mom and a mom who works full-time makes it difficult. Maybe once we move to GA with my husband it will be easier. I hope!

message 5: by Susan (new)

Susan (boswellbaxter) | 13 comments I've never read Harry Potter--I don't have any objections to fantasy or magic, but it's just not my thing. I'll probably never read Twilight--not my age group, and I've never understood the sex appeal of vampires. For the same reason, I've never read Anne Rice's vampire books.

I doubt I'll ever read the Da Vinci Code--the whole conspiracy thing story turns me off. Same with all of the Templar-themed books.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 27 comments Never read The Da Vinci Code, and don't intend to, either. Got halfway through Angels and Demons and abandoned it out of boredom, disinterest in the characters, and lack of suspension of disbelief.

I like the entire Harry Potter series, and have read Twilight, though I don't intend to read the rest of that series.

message 7: by Nona (new)

Nona (goodreadscomnona) I'll never read DaVinci Code or Harry Potter however I'm reading Twilight, I must admitt I loved a good vampire story in my younger years before my addiction to historical fiction.

I don't read the classsics either, you know Dickens, Agatha Christie you get the point. I perfer the path less taken.

message 8: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (deohannah) | 1 comments the lord of the rings... i don't know if i'll ever read the trilogy...

i've read all harry potter books, twilight series, and the da vinci code...

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Okay, I'm in the minority here. While I'm not a big fan of the fantasy/magical/paranormal genre, there have been huge exceptions for me.

I picked up the first Harry Potter book when I read some article about a loony lady in Georgia trying remove them from the local school library. I have this thing about censorship, so I read the book just to see what the fuss was about. To this day, the entire series is one of my absolute favorites. Go figure.

Now, Twilight. Hmmmm. I never could finish one single Anne Rice book, so not sure why I even picked this one up, other than all the hype. The first book, I loved. (Who knew I'd ever enjoy a vampire book?) The other three in the series I read hoping they'd be as good as the first, but I was sorely disappointed. Oh well.

Da Vinci Code? I read it years and years ago when it was first released and enjoyed the pace of it all. But I can certainly understand where it would bug some readers. I just remember not being able to put it down at the time and that's always an enjoyable read for me.

But you know, I don't read the Western genre either and yet Lonesome Dove (McMurtry) is my favorite novel of all time.

I flat-out refuse to read any of Oprah's bookclub choices...burned too many times in that department. And I've gotta say that any book currently be touted at "literary genius" is probably going to flop big time for me. So mostly I won't bother.

message 10: by Lori (new)

Lori | 8 comments Read the Harry Potter series, loved them all. I got goosebumps from the last book. Started the Twightlight series just to get the idea since so many of my students (6th graders!!) were reading the books. I totally enjoyed them in a guilty, romantic pleasure kind of way. Had to listen to The DaVinci Code on cd because I couldn't get through the text and keep my focus. I've always been a bit ashamed about not reading the Lord of the Rings Trillogy. I had to be assigned Charlotte's Web in college or I would never have read it.

I have the behavior MAP described about movies. What? Titanic? No way - so silly. Men in Black? Ugh. Too much about aliens for me! Then, when I watch the movies I usually love them, except for Titanic:) Honestly, too long and boring.

I read a lot of classics as requirements. Now, I look for escape with books. Hence, the Tighlight, ... Oprah bummed me out, too! I can't stand the children dying and the women getting beaten! Really, too much!

message 11: by Bibliophile (new)

Bibliophile | 20 comments I've read half of one of the Outlander books and disliked it so much that I could never continue with the series.

I ended up really liking Harry Potter, but feel that I will never read the Twilight series (perhaps I might if I were paid a lot of money to do so!!)

message 12: by Barb (new)

Barb | 34 comments Mod
Harry Potter, the Twilight books (just can't do it)
and pretty much ALL of the classics.

I have plans to reform on the classics though, Jane Eyre was the one that turned me on to the idea. I had been running from them for years.

The only classic I remember reading was The Scarlet Letter, which I did enjoy. The rest I some how weaseled out of reading...

message 13: by Misfit (new)

Misfit | 75 comments Mod
I've really enjoyed getting through some (certainly not all) of the classics over the last couple of years. Love Eliot, Bronte, Dickens, Gaskell.

message 14: by Lori (new)

Lori | 8 comments I was supposed to read Moby Dick and The Jungle Books when I was in school and couldn't do it. I faked it instead.

message 15: by Dan (new)

Dan (theancientreader) Have never read...and probably never will read...any of the Harry Potter or Twilight books or anything by Dan Brown.