The Zombie Wallflowers discussion

The Perks of Being a Wallflower
This topic is about The Perks of Being a Wallflower
The Perks of Being a Wallflower > Welcome! Please introduce yourself.

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tomshin99 (last edited Mar 23, 2013 05:11AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tomshin99 | 22 comments Mod
Hi, my name is Thomas and welcome to our little book club. To make things interesting, why don't we introduce ourselves and also introduce one character from the book?

Like I said, my name is Thomas and I'm 30. I live in Southern California, USA and I've been working for the courts for two years now. People say I'm very good looking, outgoing, and pretty much awesome without any flaws.

And this is my friend Charlie. I've only known him for two weeks now, but I think I understand him pretty well, assuming everything he writes about himself wasn't a complete lie. He's very shy and likes to think of himself as a wallflower. He would much rather watch other people go about their lives than be involved himself, and when he is forced to be more active, he reacts negatively or immaturely. However, in spite of this, or maybe because of this, he has shown to be remarkably observant and insightful. He's a conflicting character and I'm not sure how I feel about him yet... except that sometimes he acts way gayier than his actual gay friends. Just saying.

Jessica | 7 comments Mod
Hey,
Im Jessica. 19 years of age, and I'm currently studying in Australia.

Sam is a person who has had a hard past, but has learnt from her mistakes, and now is a better person for it. She is willing to help others who will accept her help, and treats people according to their actions. She is a very down-to-earth and mature Character.

LOL Jessica, it's just the two of us here.

How did you like the book? To be honest, it felt too short for me and left few things unanswered. Whenever I read a book with many compelling questions in the beginning, I think it's the author's obligation to include enough clues to answer all of them.

Jessica | 7 comments Mod
Oh. I thought there was a third person. I thought it was okay. The whole molestation aspect kinda freaked me out a little, but I think it was meant to do that.
With the nature of the book, and Charlie's sickness I expected questions to go unanswered.
What questions did you want answered specifically?

There was a third person. Her name is Devyn, but I think I might have hurt her feelings by not responding promptly to her emails. I have this bad habit of procrastinating when it comes to responding to messages, and it took me a week to respond to her email. Now, I think she's returning the favor. I totally deserve it, and it may have cost us our third member. If she ever shows up, I'll apologize to her properly.

Also don't get me wrong. I really enjoyed the book. It's just that I hate having questions that just can't be answered. They're mostly rhetorical, you-must-find-the-answer-yourself type of questions.

The first and most obvious question is who is the recipient of the letters? Do you think he ever sent them out? Or were they written with the expressed purpose of having therapeutic effect on Charlie and as such, was written more like a journal? Like you mentioned, Charlie went through some traumatic stuff and his doctor could have recommended that he write letters to bring healing in his life. What we read may have been his way of dealing with the pain and anger.

However, if that's so, then why does he bother to use fake names at all? He readily admits that he is using pseudonyms and specifically asks that the reader doesn't try to figure out what their real names are. If Charlie really was writing for himself, then there is no need for the secrecy.

Furthermore, he ends each letter with "Love Always, Charlie." You don't do that when you're writing journal entries. Doesn't that seem a little odd to you? What do you think?

Jessica | 7 comments Mod
Thats understandable. Id totally ignore you too.
Just kidding!

As for your questions, I thought of two possible answers.
1. The letters were therapeutic, written exactly as letters to be more real and therefore more effective (thats why he put 'dear friend' 'love, Charlie' on almost all of them). I had the feeling that he kept them, and then produced them into a book, meaning the Author is actually Charlie.
2. the Author is the recipient of the letters, and produced them into book form for the world to see, as the letters were so meaningful that the recipient couldn't keep them to himself.

Im not sure which one i'd prefer, really. What do you think?

Also:
Hi Valeria! Thomas told me you were the third person! Its lovely to meet you! Both of you! Dont be afraid to share you opinions, id love to hear them!

message 7: by Tomshin99 (last edited Mar 25, 2013 08:55PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Uggghhhh, Jess. Like I said to val, I keep forgetting that people don't like it when I ignore them.

I love your second idea! The unscrupulous and morally bankrupt recipient of Charlie's letter sees the golden opportunity to exploit Charlie's trust by publishing his most private thoughts and memories under pseudonym to seize acclaim for himself under the pretense of fictional work. That would make Stephen Chbosky the sole man on top of Mt. Douchebag, looking down on all the lesser douches in the world. Imagine if Charlie is a real person, and he had trusted the letters to Chbosky only to find out that Chbosky published it into a bestselling novel and then later a movie. People around the world are privy to their secrets. Oh how priceless it would have been if Charlie, Sam, and Patrick all went to see the movie together.

Another thing to think about: Was Charlie completely honest in those letters? It's human characteristic to try to portray oneself in positive light. If the letters were written without being intended to be read by anyone, then I can accept simple honesty. No need to lie to self. But if he had intended someone else to read the letters, then I have to question the veracity of many of his claims. How do we know he isn't lying about all the events in the book?

Devyn Benfield (devynsage) | 12 comments Mod
Hello! My name is Devyn and I am mad at Thomas. Haha just kidding. I just forgot to check my email for a few days. I am 21 and also live in Southern California. I work in retail and love crafts such as knitting and puzzles.

My friend Patrick is a very fun outgoing person. He is always the life of the party and very good at making new friends. He is loyal and very loving. He is human so he has his dark moments but tries very hard not to let anyone see that side of him. I find him fantastic.

I love this book, it is one of my all time favorites! I read it in high school and it just has so much feeling in it. I read it again recently and highlighted all of my favorite lines. I just love the way that Charlie writes about life; how he describes love and friendship. My favorite part of the book is when they are driving through the tunnel at night and that song comes on the radio and Charlie says he feels "infinite". I could feel how magical and perfect that moment was when I read it.

Oh thank goodness you are not mad at me Devyn. I'm so used to ignoring people's messages/calls that I didn't know what to do when I finally got to taste my own medicine. It was bitter I tell you, bitter.

Hey Devyn, since you like knitting, do you think you can help me knit me a sweater for my bunny rabbit? I've been trying to find some sort of collar/leash for my rabbit so I can take her for a walk at the park, but the darn thing will just shimmy-shimmy out of anything I put on her. I'm thinking it has to be something that will wrap around her neck and loop around her legs to keep her from weaseling out of it. Do you think you can help me?

I really like Patrick too. I think he was my favorite character in the book. I never really got attached to Charlie. I think he cried too much... even for me, and that's saying something since I once cried while watching a cartoon with my guy friends. I had a really hard time relating to Charlie's emotions because he's usually so depressed; even the songs he like are very sad and depressing.

Patrick, on the other hand, reminds me some of the friends I had and so I could relate to him much better. The stuff he went through in the book are stuff that happens to them all the time. Anyway once Patrick matures and comes to accept the reality of being a gay man, he would be the best friend to party with.

What did you think of Sam?

Jessica | 7 comments Mod
Thomas, the whole theoretical Author/douchebag and Charlie situation has the potential to be a soap opera, I believe!
I still like that theory though. I think it makes it somewhat more believable.

I also think that Charlie stayed mostly truthful in his letters, but some parts are over exaggerated or perfected some details about people/situations. He also didnt tell whole truths, I believe, in some situations, which had more to do with his mental issues rather then wanting the reader the believe the best in him.

Hi Devyn!
I think the 'infinite' scene is great as well. Really thoughtful and interesting. That scene really connected with me when I read it. It was probably the most ive ever connected with a book, which is really kool.

Patrick is pretty awesome, too. Like Sam, he seems really self-aware and confident, but you do see the human side of him where he can get hurt - and he does. It shows that book has a more 'real' aspect to it than other books have.

Thomas, I also believe Charlie cried too much. Thats why I didnt like him, at all, really, when I started the book. Now ive finished im more understanding. But it still kind of annoys me.

Valeria Flores-gutierrez | 1 comments Mod
Jessica wrote: "Thats understandable. Id totally ignore you too.
Just kidding!

As for your questions, I thought of two possible answers.
1. The letters were therapeutic, written exactly as letters to be more rea..."

Hi everyone, sorry I haven't been to active on this page, i'm new to the book club thing and haven't checked the page often... May name is Valerie (my birth name is Valeria) and i'm 40ish.... LOL..

Jessica | 7 comments Mod
Hi!

It seems I am the baby of the group. Nice. haha.

Devyn Benfield (devynsage) | 12 comments Mod
Hello Valeria! Welcome!

Thomas I am have never knit clothes before but I can certainly try to knit your bunny a sweater!
I LOVE Sam! I love that Charlie sees her as this wonderful beautiful woman, but she is flawed. She is still struggling to find herself. I find her to be a great female character.
Charlie does cry a lot but I really love him. When I read the book I feel like I am reading his journal. I think he actually did send those letters to someone. Charlie is one of those people that expresses things better when he can take the time to write it, rather than talking in person. I feel so connected to him when I read this book.

message 14: by Tomshin99 (last edited Mar 29, 2013 02:04AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Hi val, I'm so glad you finally said something. I thought you were going to be our resident wallflower forever. What is one thing from the book that had the most impact on you val?

Jess, I guess you are the baby of the group until we get some more members. Things might change soon though. I noticed we've been gathering few silent members.

Devyn, are you sure? It sounds like a lot of work. Maybe if you can show me the basics on how to knit, I'll try to make it for her myself. What do you usually knit?

I think Sam is the most difficult character in the book to analyze. We see her through Charlie's eyes and it's clear he idolizes her to the point where she's near-perfect to him. One thing that did stick out to me is how she casually mentioned that her first kiss was with her dad's friend. Do you think it's possible that Sam has gone through similar abuse in her past as well? That could explain Charlie's sister's theory on how Sam has low self-esteem and how she used to be known as the "blow queen." It might also be the underlying reason why Charlie was drawn to her. Maybe he saw something in her that made him subconsciously identify with her.

It is also possible the author intended Sam to be the mirror opposite to Aunt Helen. If Sam did go through similar sexual abuse when she was little, then just like Aunt Helen, Sam had to deal with her tragic past. Only unlike Aunt Helen who was chained to her past, Sam has managed to break from it and reached a place in her life where she can be at peace with what had happened to her, thus hinting at the possibility of bringing healing to Charlie's life at the end of the book.

Charlie has two main women in his life. One is dead and one is alive. One was "corpulent" while the other is pretty with "green eyes." One was deep in depression from what had happened to her while the other seems to be at peace now. One ended up abusing Charlie while the other brings hope of healing. Finally one's actions caused Charlie to forget while the other's actions caused him to remember again. I definitely see some sort of connection between the two most important women in Charlie's life. What do you guys think?

message 15: by Saige (new) - added it

Saige | 2 comments Hey guys!
My name is saige and I'm actually only 15. I've seen the perks of being a wallflower movie but I definitely plan on reading the book because people say it is really good! I've never been in one of these clubs before and I bet it will be very fun especially because you all seem like very nice people :)

Hi Saige, welcome to our club. Since you haven't read the book, can you share with us who your favorite character was from the movie?

Hey Jess, I guess you're not the youngest anymore. It lasted less than a day.

Also, Saige, we're just starting a new book Warm Bodies. We'd love to have you join us.

message 17: by Saige (new) - added it

Saige | 2 comments My favourite character would have to be Sam. I love how outgoing she is and how she is very non judgemental. She also has great taste in music! Hahah. Anyways, I'd love to read warm bodies with you guys! I just started reading it

Great! I'm looking forward to having you join us.

message 19: by Debra (last edited Jun 04, 2013 06:18PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Debra | 11 comments Hey, there! I know I'm a few months late here, but I just finished the book & just joined goodreads. I hope it isn't too late to contribute.

Thomas write:
The first and most obvious question is who is the recipient of the letters? Do you think he ever sent them out? Or were they written with the expressed purpose of having therapeutic effect on Charlie and as such, was written more like a journal?

Charlie talks about looking for a stamp & an envelope & putting the letter in the mailbox. We could read it as (1) he is truly mailing letter or (2) he is having delusions. I think he really is writing letters to another person. He has anger control problems (very violent fights, issues with playing sports - p.52) & he's arguably on the autism spectrum, but I don't think he is out of touch with reality throughout the whole book. Not until he has the "break" on June 22.

I am on the library wait list for Warm Bodies. Hopefully it won't be too long.

Have you guys discussed or are planning to discuss World War Z?

message 20: by Tomshin99 (last edited Jun 16, 2013 10:48PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Hi Edward, I'm glad you could join us and sorry for the late response. We've been busy and doing our separate things until now. Looks like we'll be starting a new book soon. If you have suggestions for our new book, please share them with us at Suggestions for our new book?

message 21: by Kylie (new)

Kylie (kylieseidner) | 2 comments Hey I'm Kylie I'm 13 and I'm currently reading warm bodies. So far I like the book I just started and haven't had much time to read lately so I'm only on page 49.

Hi Kylie, pleasure to have you with us. What do you think about warm bodies so far?

message 23: by Kylie (new)

Kylie (kylieseidner) | 2 comments It's a really good book I'm enjoying it a lot so far and can't wait to finish

Good for you Kylie. I'm glad you're enjoying the book.