What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Query abandoned by poster > ABANDONED. Fiction - abused wife

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joybell (new)

Joybell | 13 comments Hi everyone, I read this book around six or seven years ago (give or take). It's based around a woman who had an abusive relationship with her husband, and is starting life again.

Things that I can remember:

-I'm pretty certain he's in jail for attempted murder/manslaughter (against her). I seem to remember that she gains a severe head injury. If he's not in jail, he's run off...there's quite a timely gap between the incident, and when he reappears

-She was married quite young, still in collage, which she may have left because of him

-She is now based in a rural setting, where there may, or may not, be a lake

-She befriends an elderly male neighbor who I believe is her savior in the end when her husband re-emerges

-The husband was a 'perfect' type, where he was smart, handsome, successful, and fairly well off -- no one really believed the wife when he almost killed her.

The book was quite well written, with an emphasis on the atmosphere, and environment. Not so much a woman-in-peril book, but more along the lines of strength and rebirth.

Hehe, there's probably thousands of books like this, but hopefully someone may recall it!

If there's anymore info needed, please ask and I'll ty to remember.

Thanks for reading :)

message 2: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6967 comments Mod
Joy--was it old or new when you read it? Paperback or hardback? Do you remember anything about the cover? What about any feelings about the author? Male/female any ideas about where in the alphabet the last name was?

And yes--there are probably 50,000 books with that same theme and setting.

message 3: by Joybell (new)

Joybell | 13 comments Ann aka Iftcan wrote: "Joy--was it old or new when you read it? Paperback or hardback? Do you remember anything about the cover? What about any feelings about the author? Male/female any ideas about where in the alph..."

Thanks for the response...unfortunately, I can't remember any of those details. The book certainly wasn't old when I read it, but I can't pinpoint exactly when it would have been published.

message 4: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (ravensdreamer) | 10 comments Joy...it sounds soo familiar... i wanted to say it was a Lisa Gardner or even a Marliss Melton but i can't seem to find it....sorry... i am about to do inventory in "my library" if i come across it will head here and alert you! Hope someone else finds it fast,...

message 5: by Joybell (new)

Joybell | 13 comments Bumping :)

message 6: by Ann (new)

Ann | 2 comments It sounds a bit like "Black and Blue" by Anna Quindlen because Bobby her husband was a handsome NYC cop, and probably that's why no one helped her when she was an abuse victim. Anyway, they are relocated to a Florida town called Lake Plata.

message 7: by Andria (new)

Andria (airdna) | 2501 comments Mod
I agree with Ann, Black and Blue is a good guess. It's well-written, and focuses on the aftermath/healing from abuse, and I think it was a Oprah book club book some years ago, at any rate it was quite popular for a time.

message 8: by Joybell (new)

Joybell | 13 comments Thanks ladies. I've checked it out, and it does sound like a possibility. I don't recall him being a cop however, I thought he was more like a banker/really well off guy.

I'm going to give it a shot!

message 9: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39275 comments Mod
Joybell, was "Black and Blue" your book?

message 10: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Joybell?

message 11: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

No response, moving to Abandoned.