Christian Fiction Bloggers discussion

The Survivor (Crime Scene: Houston, #2)
This topic is about The Survivor
Archived Buddy Reads > ❀Abbi and Melanie❀ The Survivor by DiAnn Mills

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (new)

Megan (celtic_girl) | 6293 comments Mod
❀Abbi and Melanie❀ The Survivor by DiAnn Mills

message 2: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (new) - rated it 4 stars

Melanie (lovebeingvegan) | 9504 comments Mod
I think the book is very good so far. Like the first book, I find it interesting how Kariss is an author writing a suspense book. It makes it almost feel like you're reading a real life story.

I feel really bad for Amy and all she has gone/is going through. Not only her being taken, raped, and having her throat slit when she was a child, but also now losing her hearing - the only thing that she can identify her attacker with. I do think she's hiding something, though, just don't know what exactly.

I have no idea who is behind the car bombing. I don't think it's Jonathan or any of the people who lost their jobs. I also don't think the sons had anything to do with it, but I do think both Ian and Curt are still hiding stuff. What about you?

Abbi I'm enjoying it too. The only thing I don't really like is the fact that there sometimes seems to be too much detail. Like spelling out commonly used acronyms, and constantly mentioning the fact that Tigo's watch has Buzz Lightyear on it. But I agree the aspect of an author writing a story is cool!

Yeah I can not imagine how awful that must have been! And to lose your way of identifying the man would be so horrible. I didn't really think she was hiding anything but I read it all late at night so I might have missed it and it's entirely possible, though like you I have no clue what it might be.

I completely agree! I also kinda wonder if the two cases are connected since Amy's car was blown up too.

That reporter guy is once again extremely annoying! People like that really drive me nuts!

I would have been terrified in that scene with the truck! I was so scared that one of them would have been hurt worse than they were! I can't imagine the panic of being in an accident with a baby in the car! It was cool how that couple stopped to help-in this society people are much more likely to turn the other way so that their life isn't interrupted at all.

The Yeats family is so twisted! It amazes me that they were able to keep all that stuff hidden. I know I shouldn't but I tend to hold pastors to a higher standard then everyone else and it disgusts me (more than normal) that one would be having an affair. That he would sacrifice his entire ministry and his testimony for something like that-ugh!

message 4: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (new) - rated it 4 stars

Hmm. I didn't notice that with the acronyms... what were some of them?

I'm thinking the cases are related too.

He is! I can't stand when people spread lies like that and are just so annoying! His "blog" post was ridiculous!

Agree! I was afraid someone was going to be really hurt. It was cool how Rose didn't have a scratch! I liked that they stopped too. I don't know if I'd have been so trusting with letting the woman hold Rose, though... they were strangers and you never know if they might take her or something.

I totally agree! At first glance it looked like the marriage, kids, and everything was perfect - when really it wasn't. We know about Ian and his troubles, I kind of think Curt also has issues - we just don't know them yet.

I agree - it disgusts me more too when pastors have affairs - especially when they preach about the family unit... so hypocritical!

I can kind of understand why Tigo didn't tell Kariss about his previous marriage - he just wasn't ready yet. I also see Kariss's point, though.

I don't think Amy's brother sent those emails... I just think he's a bully and really needs to work on his attitude.

What a shock it must have been for Jonathan to learn about his late wife's past. I can't imagine how hard it'll be to tell his kids so they hear it from him and not the news.

Abbi The one that really stuck out to me was OCD-everyone knows what that is! The other one I can think of right now is SAC which isn't as well known it was just the way she did it that bothered me.

I had the same thought about the lady holding Rose, though in a situation like that the panic of making sure her sister was alright probably stopped her from thinking of anything else.

Yeah there's probably something up with Curt too.

I agree, I see both of their points of view. Though I kinda feel the break-up was a good thing since I don't believe Kariss should have been dating a non-Christian.

I feel the same about this as well! I can kind of see where he's coming from wanting to protect the sister that he couldn't all those years ago, but he should have found a better way to do it and also found a way to work through those issues!

Yeah that would be awful! Though she did offer to tell him so his not knowing is kinda his own fault. That would be such a hard thing to tell your kids but it'll be much better coming from him.

It really irritates me how Jonathan and Curt have be constantly covering for or cleaning up after Ian! The only way he'll ever change is if he has to start taking responsibility for the things he does. Kids who never have to deal with the consequences of what they do are usually the ones who turn into the not so nice adults.

The idea to go to the funeral and the dinner after was brilliant on Tigo's part! What a perfect way to observe everyone! And it paid of too. Darena really is a piece of work!

message 6: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ahhh. I definitely see your point. :)

I agree. I don't think she should have been dating him in the first place either - since he's not a believer (yet).

Same here. I can see where he wants to protect his sister - he just went way overboard!

Agree!

Completely agree! It irritates me that they clean up Ian's problems for him - he should have to deal with the consequences/take responsibility for the things he does.

It was brilliant! Yeah, Darena is something. The things she said were so mean - it seemed like she didn't care at all that Joanna had died. And Taylor, ugh, he sickened me. His grief-filled eulogy and then what he said later to Darena... I almost wonder if he had something to do with the murders.

You know, I did not guess that Vanessa was sick and that was why she wasn't at the funeral. Or that she loved Jonathan.

Abbi yeah Taylor-ugh!

I didn't guess those either.

I'm out of things-you?

message 8: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (new) - rated it 4 stars

Same here. Ready to finish? :)

Abbi Yep! I'll try to have it done Sun evening!

message 10: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (new) - rated it 4 stars

Okay, I'll try to have it finished then, too, though I might not finish it until Monday (depends on how much I can read). :) Can hardly wait to find out who the bad guy is! :D

message 11: by Abbi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Abbi Haha yeah! Whenever you're done is fine!

message 12: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (new) - rated it 4 stars

:) Thanks!

message 13: by Abbi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Abbi I'm done so whenever you finish just go ahead and start the discussion!

message 14: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (last edited Mar 25, 2013 02:11PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

I'm finished too. :)

Okay, I got a little annoyed with all the Buzz Lightyear mentions too. It just got to be too much this last half.

I wasn't surprised that the coach was the killer. After hearing about his argument with Curt, I sort of thought it could really be him.

I couldn't believe when Kariss gave a stranger her phone to use and all of the risks she took!

The biking scene was very interesting. I would have freaked out so much if a snake was crawling across my legs. :/ I liked that Kariss was the first one Tigo called after his conversion... though I almost kind of wish he'd have called Linc or Ryan first.

Was it ever said why Ian went to take the money from the home safe?

message 15: by Abbi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Abbi Yeah it really got kinda obnoxious!

I wouldn't say I was surprised but I didn't guess that it was him. He was more of an out of sight out of mind character for me.

It was interesting! I would have freaked too! *shudder* I thought it was cute how Kariss was the first he called.

Other than his lame "tired of the crap" reason I don't think so.

I didn't think it was possible but Darena was even worse in this half! I could not believe how she tried to convince everyone that Taylor had planted the bomb.

I was impressed by the fact that Taylor confessed to his wife and by how she handled it. I was also glad that he resigned and took a secular job while trying to get his family back in order.

Jonathan's favoritism was absolutely ridiculous!! That he would skip Curt's game to take Ian to a movie made me so mad.

Curt really impressed me. He seemed to really have his head on straight and I can see him growing up to be a pretty great guy. Most people would be crazy bitter and angry in the face of such blatant favoritism but he handled it pretty well. I mean he was angry but he didn't seem to be letting it control him.

I would have so freaked out in the scene with Coach dressed as an old man!

FYI: We are going to my brother and sister-in-law's tonight so I won't be back on until 9-10ish!

message 16: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (new) - rated it 4 stars

She was! I know, I couldn't believe that either - she was definitely just trying to get revenge for his breaking things off with her. I also couldn't believe that she claimed she was pregnant with his child... when he had had a vasectomy!

Me too. Made my opinion of him improve.

I so agree! It was ridiculous and made me mad too. How could he not realize what his actions were doing to Curt.

Curt does seem like a great guy. He impressed me with how he handled everything, too.

That would have freaked me out too. Also, receiving that funeral wreath would have been CREEPY.

I got a little frustrated by how stubborn Kariss could be. Her going to Amy's house by herself and then not answering Tigo call just seemed a little careless.

I was surprised by how Coach was able to enter Amy's house. I did not see him impersonating Kariss's cousin!

I loved how Amy's dog broke through the window and attacked Coach! It was kind of scary how the dog got shot - so glad he survived. Such a great dog. :)

It was interesting how Tigo and Kariss became engaged. I'm not a huge fan of women proposing (I just find it sweeter when the guy does it), but it made for a different ending.

message 17: by Abbi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Abbi Yeah that bothered me too. Especially after everything she'd gone through last time!

Yeah that shocked me! Pretty clever on his part!

I loved that too! And I was glad he survived. I thought it was cute how Kariss petted him!

Yeah I'm not a big fan of that either but you're right it did make it different.

I was kinda mad at Amy when it was revealed that she had been trying to draw the killer out with the book! It's one thing to try to bait him but it was so wrong to involve someone else without telling them!

Did it seem a little far-fetched to you that Kariss recognized all of the quotes the killer used She might have read all of the books but that she would know exactly where all of the quotes came from seems improbable.

I thought it was sweet how Tigo went to the hospital to stay with Kariss. And it was also nice that he was there to take care of McDougal. I liked how he told the officer that he wasn't doubting their ability, he just had history with the guy.

It was so horrible what happened to the guys protecting Kariss and Amy! Though I'm glad he wasn't able to get to the girls!

message 18: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (new) - rated it 4 stars

That was maddening! You're right, it is one thing to bait him and risk your own safety, but it was wrong to involve Kariss without telling her what she was doing. I can't believe she posted on Facebook where she and Kariss were meeting. Very careless.

Now that you mention it, it did seem far-fetched that Kariss would recognized all of the quotes off the top of her head. It wasn't very believable.

That was sweet. :) I loved how he got rid of McDougal and what he told the officer afterwards.

That was horrible! It was scary how the killer knocked on the hotel door and I can't believe Kariss went by herself to check on the cops.

It was interesting how Tigo and Ryan went undercover - I love when characters do that. :) Was kind of nervous when Tigo got stabbed - glad the wound wasn't that serious.

I liked the way Kariss is willing to move to Quantico with Tigo if/when he goes to train recruits.

message 19: by Abbi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Abbi Yeah undercover is cool! I was nervous too and I was also glad it wasn't serious.

I like that too. It's nice that her profession is the kind she can do anywhere!

I couldn't find anything else-you?

message 20: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nope. Really fun discussing this one with you! :D

Ready to read Courting Morrow Little? If so, I'll try to have the first half finished by Friday/Saturday. :)

message 21: by Abbi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Abbi I had fun too!

Yep! I'm gonna finish Duchess first but I'll definitely have it done by Fri/Sat!

message 22: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (new) - rated it 4 stars

=) I want to finish a couple books first too. :)

message 23: by Abbi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Abbi Does Chapters 1-19 then 20-38 work for you?

message 24: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (new) - rated it 4 stars

Yep!