Around the World discussion

Personal Lists 2011-2013 > Barbara W's Around the World Mostly Mysteries

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Barbara (last edited Jun 01, 2013 12:09PM) (new)

Barbara (worthwhilereading) I have selected mostly mysteries set in as many countries as I could find from A-Z. If I could not find a mystery for the country for a particular letter then I tried to find an interesting non-mystery novel to fit the letter. I also had interest in reading some regular fiction for which I had also selected a mystery to go with the same country. You said there were no rules LOL
I have no thoughts of grandeur that I will read this list this year or next year or the year after that, but I will keep plodding along as long as this group will have me.
Happy Travelling!

Australia: Vodka Doesn't Freeze
Antaractica: Shock Wave
Botswana: The Screaming of the Innocent
Cambodia: :In the Shadow of the Banyan
Canada: How the Light Gets In
Canada: Baby Jane
China: The Firemaker
China: Shanghai Girls
Denmark: The Keeper of Lost Causes
England: The House at Sea's End-FINISHED 6/1/13
England: A Room Full of Bones
France: Murder in the Marais
France: The Dark Vineyard
Greenland: Smilla's Sense of Snow
Guyana: The Water Rat of Wanchai
Greece: The Messenger of Athens
India: The Case of the Man Who Died Laughing: From the Files of Vish Puri, Most Private Investigator
India: The Case of the Deadly Butter Chicken
Indonesia: Swimming at Night
Italy: Beautiful Ruins-FINISHED
Jamaica: The Book of Night Women
Korea: Jade Lady Burning
Laos: The Coroner's Lunch
Malaysia: A Most Peculiar Malaysian Murder
Norway: The Snowman
Pakistan: The Good Son
Qatar:If the Sun Doesn't Kill You, the Washing Machine Will
Russia: Polar Star
Russia: Anna Karenina
Scotland: Sacrifice
Spain: The Shadow of the Wind
Sri Lanka: Wave-FINISHED
Sweden: The Hypnotist
Thailand: Bangkok 8
Thailand: Everyone Burns
Uruguay: The Ambivalent Corpse
Venice: Death in a Strange Country
Wales: The Wine of Angels
Zambia: Heart of the Hunter: A Novel
USA: Vegas: Catnap
USA: Brooklyn: The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
USA: Hawaii: Moloka'i-FINISHED
USA: Water for Elephants

message 2: by Judy (new)

Judy (patchworkcat) | 2212 comments Nicely done, Barbara W. Enjoy your trip around the world.

message 3: by Lilisa (new)

Lilisa | 1846 comments Mod
Barbara wrote: "I have selected mostly mysteries set in as many countries as I could find from A-Z. If I could not find a mystery for the country for a particular letter then I tried to find an interesting non-my..."

Barbara - I see we have a a couple of books in common that we both want to read. I'm intrigued that you have Tarquin Hall on your list - I don't know anyone else who's heard of him! Have you read him before? And there are several on your list I've really enjoyed - particularly Molokai - I absolutely loved it and it's one of my all-time favorites! Sounds like you love mysteries - you may also want to check out Jeffrey Siger - British author who writes mysteries set in Greece. I've enjoyed all his books. Happy reading.

message 4: by Janice (new)

Janice (jamasc) I like that you've added another layer to your challenge by chosing mostly mysteries. Mine ended up being mostly historical ficion but that wasn't by design.

message 5: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (worthwhilereading) Lilisa wrote: "Barbara wrote: "I have selected mostly mysteries set in as many countries as I could find from A-Z. If I could not find a mystery for the country for a particular letter then I tried to find an in..."
Thanks Lilisa
I have read the first Vish Puri mystery and really enjoyed it. It was a quick fun romp through a bit of India. He is quite like an Indian version of Hercule Poirot with more humour though.
Every once in a while you need a light, cozy mystery.
Thanks for the tip on Siger, I was actually looking for a mystery set in Greece, but was having a hard time finding anything decent. I may have to add him to my travels ;)
I have Moloka'i sitting on my bedside table and may have to crack it open. I have heard great things from others on this book as well.
I haven't checked out your list yet, but will take a gander.
Thanks again, and happy travels!

message 6: by Lilisa (new)

Lilisa | 1846 comments Mod
Barbara wrote: "Lilisa wrote: "Barbara wrote: "I have selected mostly mysteries set in as many countries as I could find from A-Z. If I could not find a mystery for the country for a particular letter then I trie..."

Agree on Puri - and, yes an Indian Poirot - I like that comparison! Have fun reading :-)