Horror Aficionados discussion

Group Reads > RIP James Herbert and Rick Hautala

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Greg (new)

Greg | 359 comments If anyone hasn't heard yet Horror Novelists James Herbert and Rick Hautala have passed away this week. It is a huge lost to the horror literature community. Rest in Peace gentlemen and may your stories live on.

May I suggest as a tribute to these fine authors we read one of their novels as one of our monthly reads for May?

message 2: by Greg (new)

Greg | 359 comments Also I hear that Rick Hautala's short story collection Glimpses will be free on the amazon kindle store tomorrow to honor him.

Here is a link.
http://www.amazon.com/Glimpses-Short-...

message 3: by Kasia (last edited Mar 22, 2013 10:04PM) (new)

Kasia (kasia_s) | 2954 comments Mod
Oh no... Totally shocked, surreal.

Currently I'm reading a Herbert book - Ghosts of Sleath and I also got a really nice comment from Rick Hautala a month ago or so on a review I did for one of his other books under his pen name, so it's a strange and sad coincidence as well.

message 4: by Walter (new)

Walter Spence (walterspence) | 573 comments A truly sad part of this story is (as was reported in the Obituaries forum over at sff.net) that Rick Hautala died - due to a massive heart attack - while composing a Facebook post to honor James Herbert. :(

message 5: by Bandit (new)

Bandit (lecturatoro) | 8226 comments I've just finished Ghosts of Sleath, Kasia. When I heard about Herbert's passing, had to read a book of his. I've read some Hautala a while back. Glimpses looks like an interesting collection. None of them are even really old, this is all so sad.

message 6: by Hunter (new)

Hunter (goathunter) | 75 comments Walter wrote: "A truly sad part of this story is (as was reported in the Obituaries forum over at sff.net) that Rick Hautala died - due to a massive heart attack - while composing a Facebook post to honor James H..."

I saw that, but it's not true. He was out for a walk with his wife and wasn't feeling well. He was returning home, but didn't make it home.

Hunter
Webmaster for RickHautala.com

message 7: by Char (new)

Char  | 13715 comments Mod
Thanks for letting us know, Hunter. You must be so sad.

message 8: by Walter (new)

Walter Spence (walterspence) | 573 comments Ah, thank you, Hunter. The Orbituaries forum I found that in on sff.net contains a number of writers who knew him personally, so I figured it was safe to consider the info as accurate. I'll pass your information along there.

message 9: by Hunter (new)

Hunter (goathunter) | 75 comments The information I have came from Peter Crowther, who published several of Rick's works. AFAIK, it's the accurate statement.

And yeah, Charlene, everybody who knew him is pretty shocked.

Hunter

message 10: by Walter (new)

Walter Spence (walterspence) | 573 comments Hunter, I passed your comments along to the aforementioned Obituaries forum on sff.net.

I also found this link there regarding James Herbert (Twenty Things You Didn't Know About James Herbert), and thought it might be appropriate to share here:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/bo...

message 11: by Jason (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 3233 comments This is really sad news. I'm still shocked. RIP Rick and James!

message 12: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Yes, we plan to honor these two horror authors in the next two group reads. Looking forward to it.

message 13: by Chris (last edited Mar 29, 2013 08:09AM) (new)

Chris (chrismccaffrey) | 582 comments Rick was a great guy and the first writer that I met on Goodreads. We talked about books, our kids, holidays, movies, politics, pretty much everything and he was always coming up with great recommendations for books to read.

You can see his acceptance speech on YouTube when he won the Bram Stoker Lifetime achievement award. So many things he said there turned out to be so ironic. I won't spoil his speech by pointing them out in advance but it is striking how we, none of us, ever know the day or the hour that we will be called.

I also heard that he had his heart attack while on a walk. I had just heard that he was with the dog but I am glad to hear that at least he had his wife with him.

If you go to his website there are several ways in which you can assist his family financially as well as leave your respects. Hunter has set up a very nice site---lots of information and easy to navigate.

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) | 875 comments Damn, that's sad. I had heard of Rick Hautala, but didn't know about James Herbert.

message 15: by David (new)

David Brian (davidbrian) | 1610 comments Walter wrote: "Hunter, I passed your comments along to the aforementioned Obituaries forum on sff.net.

I also found this link there regarding James Herbert (Twenty Things You Didn't Know About James Herbert), an..."

It was terrible news to hear of the passing of both of these guys. Deepest sympathies go out to both families.
And thanks to you, Walter, for the 'twenty things' link.

message 16: by Tressa (last edited May 21, 2013 07:08AM) (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments I'm going to create a poll with a list of Rich Hautala's books for next month's group read. Does anyone have any suggestions? How difficult are these books to find?

message 17: by Brenda (new)

Brenda Seaberg (cricketseaberg) | 245 comments Tressa, I see at least 6 for Kindle on the Amazon site:
Untcigahunk: The Complete Little Brothers $3.99; The Wildman $2.99; Bedbugs $3.99; Four Octobers $2.99; The Mountain King $4.74; and Moonbog $3.99.

message 18: by Walter (new)

Walter Spence (walterspence) | 573 comments Tressa, quite a few are available on Amazon as Kindle ebooks, and priced affordably, with many of the selections being offered from $2.99 to $3.99.

Of those, Glimpses: The Best Short Stories of Rick Hautala titles itself his best short stories, that one is $3.99. Bedbugs, also $3.99, was selected by Barnes & Noble as one of the most distinguished horror publications of the year 2000, according to Wikipedia.

For novels, The Wildman, chosen to be Full Moon Press' debut limited edition title, is available at $2.99. Night Stone may be his best selling novel, but it doesn't seem to be available as an ebook.

Hope that helps.

message 19: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Thanks, Brenda and Walter.

message 20: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 5733 comments Mod
Walter wrote: "Tressa, quite a few are available on Amazon as Kindle ebooks, and priced affordably, with many of the selections being offered from $2.99 to $3.99.

Of those, Glimpses: The Best Short Stories of Ri..."

I loved Night Stone--my personal favorite novel by him! The Mountain King was either free or .99 for kindle a couple of weeks ago, but I'm not sure how long that promotion was for.

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

Night Stone by Rick Hautala is one of my favorites by Hautala. The world of great horror writing has lost a talented man. May he RIP. I look forward to reading the novels of his that I've missed.

message 22: by Kimberly (new)

I still have the paperback of The Night Stone, but most people would undoubtedly prefer the e-version...

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

I would love to have the paperback version. It's very hard to come by.

message 24: by David (new)

David Wilson Nightstone is on the list of books we'll be releasing as we get through them. I'm a little miffed, I ordered a lot of Rick's books from eBay - won it - and have not seen the package arrive.

message 25: by Jon Recluse (new)

Jon Recluse | 12043 comments Mod
The post office has gone to Hell in a handbag.

And not a nice one, either.

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

I'll bet I find some of his novels in thrift stores or yard sales. Barnes&Noble doesn't carry any of them.

message 27: by Jon Recluse (last edited May 26, 2013 02:02PM) (new)

Jon Recluse | 12043 comments Mod
I haven't seen one yet.

And there are a lot of horror novels from that era turning up lately.

message 28: by Kimberly (new)

David wrote: "Nightstone is on the list of books we'll be releasing as we get through them. I'm a little miffed, I ordered a lot of Rick's books from eBay - won it - and have not seen the package arrive."

That drives me crazy!