Challenge: 50 Books discussion

Friday Questions > Question #119: First Quarter Report

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by lisa, Questioner (last edited Mar 22, 2013 08:29PM) (new)

lisa (cravescoffee32) | 286 comments Mod
Hello!

Well, we are almost at the end of the first quarter of 2013. Can you believe it?

What has been your favorite read thus far in 2013? Which book did you start in the first quarter but gave up on, and why did you give up on it? How many books have you read toward your reading challenge for 2013? Show off your reading success in this week's discussion thread!

I am not finished yet, but I know that my favorite read of first quarter will be The Time Traveler's Wife. I am reading this book with my intro to lit students, and it's just wonderful.

Surprisingly, I haven't started and then abandoned a book yet this year, but that has more to do with lack of time for reading than anything else.

What about you? What has been your favorite read so far this year? What book could you have left in the bookstore?

message 2: by Jim (new)

Jim | 289 comments I've read 21 books so far with 11 of those being young adult and 10 adult. That keeps me on pace for reading 40 adult books this year. Its been helpful reading three books at once (one hard copy at home, one audiobook in the car, one audiobook at work). My favorite book (that was not a re-read) was Star Wars: Scoundrels. The Rise of Nine, Flesh and Bone, and Feed were also good.

Necromancer (Nicholas Flamel), Shadows, Article 5, and Armaggeddon (Left Behind) were all pretty poor and left a lot to be desired, though I finished them all. I don't generally not finish books though I did finish the Hobbit this time after making a second attempt.

message 3: by lisa, Questioner (new)

James wrote: Its been helpful reading three books at once (one hard copy ..."

It's interesting that you say this. I am always reading more than one book at a time because that's a part of my job, but I think if I had the choice, I would go back to reading only one book at a time. Good progress so far!

message 4: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Brown | 111 comments I have read 15 so far. I am also one to read multiple books at a time. I am currently cycling through the Stephanie Plum (Janet Evanovich) series and love them!

My favorite thus far was actually an odd ball- Savages by Don Winslow. I had never heard of him until someone told me to read it and it was amazing! I also enjoyed Warm Bodies.

I haven't given up on any yet but 50 Shades Freed has been on my currently reading queue for a loooong time. I really don't get the hype but I can't NOT finish the series. So it gets a chapter here and there...

message 5: by Carol (last edited Mar 23, 2013 11:24AM) (new)

Carol (carolvv) | 271 comments James wrote: "I've read 21 books so far with 11 of those being young adult and 10 adult. That keeps me on pace for reading 40 adult books this year. Its been helpful reading three books at once (one hard copy ..."

I too usually have an audio book and a physical (whether on my e-reader or actual paperback) I find my audio books keep me sane while driving and running around town. It allows me to relax instead of worrying about all the things i have to do. I will sometimes also have 1 non fiction book sitting off to the side that i ready periodically. I am at 28+ already this year...
I read Time Travelers Wife a few years ago and it is one of my favorites. i have even considered rereading and i never reread-- just too many books on my to read list.

message 6: by Carol, Group Read Organizer (new)

Carol (kawie1) | 449 comments Mod
I've hit the 30 book mark already! :) It's been 50/50 between books and graphic novels which is why I'm doing so well. I think my favourite was The Quantum Thief and the one I should have left behind is Sexing the Cherry.

message 7: by Alison (new)

Alison G. (agriff22) | 540 comments I have read 11 books so far. I am not sure what my favorite book is but up close to the top is The Princess Bride.

message 8: by Carol, Group Read Organizer (new)

Carol (kawie1) | 449 comments Mod
Alison wrote: "I have read 11 books so far. I am not sure what my favorite book is but up close to the top is The Princess Bride."
Thats one of my all time favourites! I'm hoping to reread it this year.

message 9: by lisa, Questioner (new)

Alison wrote: "I have read 11 books so far. I am not sure what my favorite book is but up close to the top is The Princess Bride."

Ah, The Princess Bride is one of my favorites too! Makes me want to read that again this year.

message 10: by Naomi V (last edited Mar 25, 2013 11:25AM) (new)

Naomi V (naomi_v) | 562 comments i'm not going to count books yet -- at the end of the month i will.

favorites so far this year:
The Toaster Project: Or a Heroic Attempt to Build a Simple Electric Appliance from Scratch was a big surprise! written by a design student as part of a project, it's about so much more than design! great book for people interested in the environment and sustainability.

Stardust by Neil Gaiman a short book, probably not written for adults, but completely enchanting.

We Live in Water: Stories by Jess Walter who wrote one of my favorite novels of last year (Beautiful Ruins). this collection of stories, set in his home town of Spokane, seemed quite personal and the sometimes grim, bleak stories are beautifully told

message 11: by lisa, Questioner (new)

Hello! Don't forget to check-in and give your First Quarter Update now that March is officially over (I have no idea how that happened).

message 12: by Naomi V (new)

Naomi V (naomi_v) | 562 comments now that March has ended, i'll count the books that i've read so far this year:

1. Amsterdam by Ian McEwan
2. Potsdam Station by David Downing
3. Vlad by Carlos Fuentes
4. The Toaster Project: Or a Heroic Attempt to Build a Simple Electric Appliance from Scratch by Thomas Thwaites
5. Standing in Another Man's Grave by Ian Rankin
6. Stardust by Neil Gaiman
7. Paranormality: Why We See What Isn't There by Richard Wiseman
8. The Year of the Flood by Margaret Atwood
9. Positron, episodes 1 - 3 by Margaret Atwood
10. Isaac's Storm: A Man, a Time, and the Deadliest Hurricane in History by Erik Larson
11. Track of the Cat by Nevada Barr
12. The Bucolic Plague: How Two Manhattanites Became Gentlemen Farmers: An Unconventional Memoir by Josh Kilmer-Purcell
13. We Live in Water: Stories by Jess Walter
14. Odd and the Frost Giants by Neil Gaiman

not too bad for 3 months' reading...

message 13: by lisa, Questioner (new)

Naomi wrote: "now that March has ended, i'll count the books that i've read so far this year:

1. Amsterdam by Ian McEwan

How did you like Amsterdam? It's not my favorite Ian McEwan book but I also didn't completely dislike it.

message 14: by Naomi V (new)

Naomi V (naomi_v) | 562 comments lisa wrote: "How did you like Amsterdam? It's not my favorite Ian McEwan book but I al..."

Amsterdam was the first book by Ian McEwan i ever read and i really enjoyed it -- so much that i gobbled up a bunch of his other books and he's now one of my favorite authors. it was interesting to re-read it now; years later. i didn't remember all the details but did remember the denouement. i think my favorite book by him is Saturday (which i'm going to have to re-read now.)