Obsessed with True Crime discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
True Crime Authors > Welcome True Crime Authors

Comments Showing 1-50 of 122 (122 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Lady ♥ Belleza, Gif Princesa (last edited May 04, 2017 07:18AM) (new)

Lady ♥ Belleza (bella_foxx) | 3345 comments Mod
I created this folder for any true crime authors who would like to shamelessly promote their books and not be accused of spamming the discussion threads.

Feel free to list as many books as you have written in this space.

Please start your own discussion thread, when starting it click on the drop down box and put it in the "True Crime Authors" folder. Don't worry if you forget, you can edit it after you post, or I can edit it if I see it. Thanks!

message 2: by Gary (new)

Gary Taylor (GaryTaylor) | 6 comments I have two true crime books available in both paperback and all e-book formats. These include my award-winning true crime memoir, "Luggage by Kroger" and a historical work entitled "I, the People: How Marvin Zindler Busted the Best Little Whorehouse in Texas." My memoir costs $2.99 in e-book format and the Zindler book is 99 cents. I, the People How Marvin Zindler Busted the Best Little Whorehouse in Texas by Gary Taylor Luggage by Kroger A True Crime Memoir by Gary Taylor

message 3: by Kevin (new)

Kevin | 7 comments I'm TOTALLY shameless...We've got a new book out 4/3/13 called Notes on a Killing: Love, Lies, and Murder in a Small New Hampshire Town.

Sandy received a phone call from her friend, Pen, who begged her to get back together with Kenneth. Sandy was stunned because it was Pen who had urged her to break off the troubling affair, who had gone to court with her to get a restraining order. Pen told Sandy she'd been wrong about Kenneth. She also said she was running away with a pilot and unsure when she'd return.

After that phone call, no one heard from Pen again...

The book is rich in detail, forensics, and character studies. It's the human drama that makes this true story come alive.

If you're interested, take it for a test drive and read a sample chapter. And if you buy it (paperback or ebook) let us know what you thought. The feedback is really appreciated.

I want to be conscientious to my fellow authors and not eat up too much space, but I'll post separately some advance reviews from some pretty cool writers.

Thanks,
Kevin Flynn

message 4: by Kevin (new)

Kevin | 7 comments Notes on a Killing Love, Lies, and Murder in a Small New Hampshire Town by Kevin Flynn Advanced praise for Notes on a Killing: Love, Lies, and Murder in a Small New Hampshire Town

"Harrowing and haunting, Notes on a Killing will have you in its grip. As they proved with Our Little Secret, Kevin Flynn and Rebecca Lavoie illuminate the darkest corners, offering a story not only filled with twists and suspense but is also rich with heartbreak and humanity."

Megan Abbott, Edgar-winning author of The End of Everything and Dare Me.

"Fragments of bones, mysterious fires, forensic nightmares, psychological knots are the high watermarks of Notes on a Killing, Rebecca Lavoie’s and Kevin Flynn’s new investigation of a bizarre crime in rural New Hampshire. With their usual narrative panache and an amazing instinct for the dramatic juxtaposition of incongruous lives, the authors have once again nailed a harrowing, larger-than-life conundrum that is too strangely wonderful for fiction and is the quintessential true crime yarn."

Joseph Olshan, author of Cloudland.

"Set in a New England community with a cast of characters connected by their membership in Alcoholics Anonymous, Notes on a Killing offers fast pacing, suspense, meticulous research, and much more. The many faces of Betrayal form an overlay that will keep readers turning the pages of this engaging and satisfying crime novel."

Phyllis Gobbell – author of A Season of Darkness

"Kevin and Rebecca have once again crafted a true-crime classic. As in Our Little Secret, their latest book Notes on a Killing is a hard-hitting tale and fast-paced read."

Robert Scott - author of The Girl in the Leaves

message 5: by Nick (new)

Nick Wood | 10 comments Hi all, Nick here.

I have a true crime book out on Kindle, iBooks and Kobo.
It's called Police Don't Move! and it's all about tales from my days on the road as a beat officer on Australia's Gold Coast.

Some mad, bad and sad jobs as well as a good splash of real life humor. Enjoy!

Here on Kindle: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B...

... and iBooks: https://itunes.apple.com/us/book/poli...

... and finally Kobo: http://www.kobobooks.com/ebook/Police...#

message 6: by Hugh (last edited Apr 10, 2013 03:31AM) (new)

Hugh Gurney | 4 comments Hi everyone.
Thank you for this thread and this group. I have a true crime biography and I'm hoping to swap FREE copies of the paperback in exchange for honest and genuine Amazon reviews.

The book is The Prince of Naples - how one boy brought down the Mafia. This is the true story of ‘The Prince’, a child prodigy who uses his genius to take on the corrupt and terrifying Camorra, (the Naples Mafia) but there’s nothing they can do without a clue to the identity of their fearless enemy. No one suspects it’s The Prince who has the perfect disguise – he is 12 years old.

If you buy the book here:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Prince-Na...

at £5.39 and select the free postage option, then leave a review after you have read the book and email me a link to it (hugh at hughgurney dot com), I'll reimburse your payment via PayPal.

I'm only doing this for the first 10 reviews so if there are already more than 10 reviews written for the book this is out of date. You can buy the book anyway if you like :-)

It's also available on Kindle http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Prince-Na...

I do hope people will like it. I have thoroughly enjoyed writing it.

Thanks again for the opportunity to talk about my book and hopefully get some reviews.

Hugh

message 7: by Susan (last edited Oct 09, 2014 01:01PM) (new)

Susan Elmore | 13 comments Nameless Indignities Unraveling the Mystery of One of Illinois's Most Infamous Crimes by Susan Elmore
Hi everyone - I, too, am shameless and would like to tell true crime lovers about my book, Nameless Indignities by Susan Elmore, which will be released by Kent State University Press on May 10. It's a historical true crime with lots of surprising twists. The victim was one of my ancestors and I spent six years digging through old documents, hoping to learn the truth. (Obsessed with True Crime and with this crime, in particular, describes me to a 'T.') During my research on the case, I uncovered some heretofore unknown facts about some of the defendants. Based on that information, I developed my own theory on what really happened in this mysterious 1882 crime, which held the the public in its grip for decades. (It was mentioned in a newspaper article as late as 1924, forty years after the verdict.) I am also offering four copies in the Book Giveaways - you can enter through May 15.

Amazon link (The pre-release price is discounted - the price will go up on May 10, when the book is released):
http://www.amazon.com/Nameless-Indign...

message 8: by Kevin (new)

Kevin | 7 comments Sounds great. Even the title is intriguing. Best of luck.

message 9: by Steven (new)

Steven Long (stevenlong) | 4 comments It's so great to find this group and see fellow author friends here. Just to bring folks into the loop, my agent and I are considering a book on the Kaufman, Texas murders. It is perfect for me since I'm known most for my works about lawyers, trials, and murders like Death Without Dignity, Out of Control, and Every Woman's Nightmare. Right now though I'm shamelessly promoting my new novel, Ruby's Passing.

message 10: by Debbie (new)

Debbie Griffin | 1 comments Thank u can u get books from here for your ipad

message 11: by Steven (new)

Steven Long (stevenlong) | 4 comments Debbie wrote: "Thank u can u get books from here for your ipad"

Don't know, Debbie. I'm so new to Good Reads I'm not sure of the technology of the thing. That said, bet you can.

message 12: by Lady ♥ Belleza, Gif Princesa (new)

I've gotten ebooks through here for my iPhone

message 13: by David (new)

David Tamarin (davidltamarin) | 6 comments I have a FREE column about true crime and other issues such as violence and culture, cannibalism, the occult, necrohilia, paraphilias, serial killers, and bad movie review. It is called UGLY WORLD and is free at
www.severed-cinema.com/uglyworld
Also I have an article in the new issue of Serial Killer magazine on Panzram and an interview with Eli Roth in the new Girls and Corpses.

message 14: by Pauline (last edited May 29, 2013 04:20AM) (new)

Pauline Conolly | 3 comments Thanks for the opportunity to give a little plug for my true crime book, The Water Doctor's Daughters, just published by Robert Hale. It is the story of Great Malvern doctor James Loftus Marsden who sent his daughters to Paris with their governess, Celestine Doudet, in 1852. Two girls died and the governess faced trial. Twenty years later a Third daughter died in mysterious circumstances. There is more information at my website - www.paulineconolly.com

message 15: by Paul (last edited Jun 22, 2013 08:00AM) (new)

Paul Scharff (pscharff) | 7 comments My name is Paul Scharff. I am the co-author of Murder In McHenry. Murder in McHenry is my true story. On June 2, 1981 my father Ronald Scharff, was gunned down with his employee Patricia Freeman at our bar, the PM Pub. The PM Pub was located in a sleepy little town called Lakemoor Illinois. We were 40 miles Northwest of Chicago but not far enough away to be out of the reach of the Chicago Outfit (Chicago Mob). My father's case went unsolved for 27 years until one day my former babysitter, Holly asked her dad who he thought killed my dad. One of the names he said was Larry Neumann. Holly was able to trace Larry Neumann back to a book called CULLOTTA. The book CULLOTTA was about a former mobster turned government witness, Frank Cullotta. When I was told about this information I went to Amazon.com to get the book CULLOTTA. On Amazon.com I read an excerpt from the book CULLOTTA and it was my father's unsolved murder that I was reading after 27 years. That is where my story begins. My tenacious desire to name Larry Neumann as the murderer of my father and Patricia Freeman. My book Murder In McHenry is my pursuit of justice. I hope that you read my story and follow me on the web at www.mchenrycounty1981.com and on my facebook group Murder In McHenry as I continue my pursuit of Justice.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1936...

message 16: by Lady ♥ Belleza, Gif Princesa (new)

Paul wrote: "My name is Paul Scharff. I am the co-author of Murder In McHenry. Murder in McHenry is my true story. On June 2, 1981 my father Ronald Scharff, was gunned down with his employee Patricia Freeman at..."

I put this on my true-crime-to-read shelf. Of course it's #11, and I get distracted easily so it may be a while.

message 17: by Nick (new)

Nick Wood | 10 comments Paul wrote: "My name is Paul Scharff. I am the co-author of Murder In McHenry. Murder in McHenry is my true story. On June 2, 1981 my father Ronald Scharff, was gunned down with his employee Patricia Freeman at..."

Paul your story sounds fascinating, both about the tragic death of your Dad and the extensive process you traveled to find justice. Good wishes to you mate.

message 18: by Paul (new)

Paul Scharff (pscharff) | 7 comments Thank you much Nick. I hope that you continue to follow me. I still have lots of work to do.

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

Good luck to you Paul. I hope you find the justice that you deserve. Your book is now on my TBR list.

message 20: by Paul (new)

Paul Scharff (pscharff) | 7 comments ♥Bella★✰ wrote: "Paul wrote: "My name is Paul Scharff. I am the co-author of Murder In McHenry. Murder in McHenry is my true story. On June 2, 1981 my father Ronald Scharff, was gunned down with his employee Patric..."

Thank You Bella. I am happy to be on your list regardless of what order I am there. You wont be disappointed.

message 21: by Paul (new)

Paul Scharff (pscharff) | 7 comments Derek wrote: "Good luck to you Paul. I hope you find the justice that you deserve. Your book is now on my TBR list."

I hope so too. As long as I have doors to open, I am walking through them. Thank you for adding my book Derek.

message 22: by Lady ♥ Belleza, Gif Princesa (new)

Brian wrote: "FREE True-Crime E-Book on Amazon!

Prime Kindle Members can have this book for FREE! There are no hidden fees. Our company guarantees that this E-Book on Amazon's Kindle website is absolutely FREE ..."

Free to borrow.

message 23: by Kevin (new)

Kevin | 7 comments So my agent was the one who signed juror B37, then immediately dropped her after listening to her AC360 interview (the juror sought representation and, after 48 hours if intense news coverage, who can blame either if them for thinking something was there).

Question: if the jury had convicted, or if B37 expressed more tortured ambivalence that seems to reflect the general public mood, would the reaction be different?

message 24: by Nate (new)

Nate Hendley (natehendley) | 2 comments My name is Nate Hendley and I am a Toronto-based freelance journalist and author.

I have published a series of books, primarily in the true-crime genre.

My latest book, 'Steven Truscott: Decades of Injustice' is about an Ontario teenager wrongfully convicted of murder, in 1959.

This month, my book, 'American Mafia: A Guide to an American Subculture' will be released by ABC-CLIO. The same company released my book, 'American Gangsters: Then and Now'.

My website (www.natehendley.com) offers more deets on my personal and professional background.

thx!

Nate Hendley
Toronto, Canada[

book:Steven Truscott Decades of Injustice|16065912]The Mafia: A Guide to an American Subculture

message 25: by Lady ♥ Belleza, Gif Princesa (new)

Nate wrote: "My name is Nate Hendley and I am a Toronto-based freelance journalist and author.

I have published a series of books, primarily in the true-crime genre.

My latest book, 'Steven Truscott: Decades ..."

Link is not showing up in your post so here it is:Steven Truscott Decades of Injustice

I think I saw a show about this, the name is familiar.

message 26: by Nate (new)

Nate Hendley (natehendley) | 2 comments thx Bella.

message 27: by Mark (new)

Mark | 5 comments My best-selling Kindle Single "God's Nobodies: Misguided Faith and Murder in the Life of One American Family," tells the story of a closeted-gay young man bullied so relentlessly by his mother that he killed her. At the heart of the story about what led to this momentary loss of control is a mysterious, powerful church leader who exerts great control over the lives of his members. After the murder, the young man's grandmother -- the mother of the victim -- stepped forward to explain how all this happened, and for that lost all contact with the rest of her family under orders of the minister. This story should make you angry -- at how an intelligent young man who had endured tragedy (the death of his father) and succeeded in the outside world as an A-student in college now ends up serving 15 years in maximum security.

A link to the book, audio and photo extras, and an active Facebook page are here:

http://markobbie.com/wordpress1/gods-...

Like all Kindle Singles, it's meant to be read in only a couple of hours, and costs only $1.99. I'd be grateful for your reviews. Thanks.

--Mark Obbie

message 28: by A.r. (new)

A.r. | 61 comments Hey Mark. I saw this on audible.com and wanted to get it. I'm dissappointed that it's not longer, but it sure sounds like an interesting story. In fact I think I'll got get it now!

message 29: by Mark (new)

Mark | 5 comments Thanks. Yes, it's available both as text and audio (and German, if that's how you roll). The short e-singles format -- longer than a magazine feature, shorter than a book, and priced under $3 -- is meant to encourage people to try lots of stories without making a huge commitment. But yes, as a writer, I had lots more reporting I could have shared -- some of which I did share on my blog, at http://markobbie.com. I hope you find the story interesting and well told. Thanks for reading/listening.

message 30: by A.r. (new)

A.r. | 61 comments Mark wrote: "Thanks. Yes, it's available both as text and audio"

Just finished God's Nobodies. It was great! Even though it was short, I still felt it was a good representation of the case. Sometimes with these short stories it seems a very cursory investigation, but your book went into considerable depth. It was a very moving story, and I admire the grandmother Ester for her bravery in coming forward. Hopefully she is living a happy life. Although it was an awful crime, I can't help feeling sorry for Tim as well. I think you dealt with his story very sympathetically. I would (and will) definitely recommend this book to my true crime friends as it is just as good as longer books. I hope you can get more books in audio form, as I would certainly get them. Great job! A.R.

message 31: by Mark (new)

Mark | 5 comments A.r. wrote: "Just finished God's Nobodies. It was great! Even though it was short, I still felt it was a good representation of the case. Someti..."

I really appreciate that. Esther is doing as well as one can without family around her. She's a strong woman who suffered much for telling the truth. Thanks again for the praise and for spreading the word -- you made my day!

message 32: by A.r. (new)

A.r. | 61 comments I wrote a review on audible.com, selfari.com and goodreads. :)

http://www.shelfari.com/books/3260817...
http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

message 33: by Mark (new)

Mark | 5 comments A.r. wrote: "I wrote a review on audible.com, selfari.com and goodreads. :)

http://www.shelfari.com/books/3260817...
http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/..."

Thanks so much. And thanks to all who help spread the word about this story.

message 34: by Nina (new)

Nina Burleigh | 2 comments http://www.amazon.com/The-Fatal-Gift-...

Praise for my book, The Fatal Gift of Beauty: The Italian Trials of Amanda Knox. It really is a good read, but don't just take it from me!

"Clear-eyed, sweeping, honest and tough, Nina Burleigh's autopsy of one of the most compelling criminal dramas of our time sets a standard that any of the other other chroniclers of this tale have yet to meet. The story of Amanda Knox is part Salem witch trial, part cultural misunderstanding of an epic sort, and part vendetta. Burleigh found the universal elements of a junior year abroad that shook the world, and she brings them home without sentimentality nor an axe to grind. This is what long-form narrative journalism is all about."- Tim Egan, New York Times
"An essential read for anyone interested in this case. More than a murder story, is a look into the dark and complex soul of Italy itself."--Douglas Preston, co-author of The Monster of Florence

"Stirring, compelling, and in the end a tragic tale worthy of Italian opera." --Joe McGinniss, author of Fatal Vision, The Miracle of Castel Di Sangro and The Rogue

"The global media, in its frenzied coverage of the sensational Amanda Knox murder trial, overlooked what Nina Burleigh has skillfully unearthed and analyzed--a compelling chain of evidence, subtle levels of significance. Her telling of the tale is clearly the only one that gets it right."--John Berendt, author of The City of Falling Angels and Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil

"A lucid, fair-minded account of the case. She shows, quite convincingly, that Knox and her co-defendant have been victims of a serious miscarriage of justice. Perhaps more importantly, she explains why, showing the case to be the product of cultural misunderstanding between Italy and the U.S."--Alexander Stille, author of The Sack of Rome

"[In] this powerful example of narrative non-fiction...Burleigh, who parses how the Knox trial was perhaps tainted, still presents a fair and unbiased portrait of a girl adrift in a foreign legal system and a culture rife with preconceptions about young American women." --Publishers Weekly, Starred Review

"Burleigh's propulsive narrative and the many unsettling aspects of the case make this a standout among recent true-crime titles."--Kirkus Reviews

message 35: by Mark (new)

Mark | 5 comments Nina wrote: "http://www.amazon.com/The-Fatal-Gift-...

Praise for my book, The Fatal Gift of Beauty: The Italia..."

This is going on my to-read list. I know your great reputation, Nina, and have wanted to read something smart and serious about that case. Thanks for posting.

message 36: by Susan (last edited Oct 15, 2013 09:41AM) (new)

Susan Tejada (goodreadscomsusan_tejada) | 17 comments Historical true crime fascinates me. Books like Destiny of the Republic, Midnight in Peking, and The Devil in the White City transport readers back in time, grounding a criminal act in its context and repercussions. I try to do the same in my book, In Search of Sacco and Vanzetti, recipient of the 2013 IPPY gold medal for True Crime from the Independent Publisher Book Awards.

This is the story of a brutal robbery and double murder in 1920, and the arrests, trial, and protests that followed, culminating in the executions of Italian immigrants Nicola Sacco and Bartolomeo Vanzetti. Were they guilty? If not, who was? I explore their life and times, and propose a surprising new theory about how the crime at the heart of the case may have been planned.

In a starred review, Booklist calls In Search of Sacco and Vanzetti a “terrific reexamination” of the case with “the suspense and engagement of a good thriller.” In The Jewish Voice, reporter Philip Eil writes that, “after reading Tejada’s book, readers feel as though they have been in the room for the autopsy.”

Read the first chapter online at http://susantejada.com/excerpts/.

Bella, thanks for this opportunity!
Susan Tejada

In Search of Sacco and Vanzetti: Double Lives, Troubled Times, and the Massachusetts Murder Case That Shook the World

message 37: by A.J. (new)

A.J. Walkley (ajwalkley) | 1 comments Hi everyone! I'm new to the group. I'm currently querying lit agents for my first true crime novel, based on a correspondence I've been having with a woman incarcerated in Texas for the last five years whom I think may be innocent. I'm looking forward to being a part of this group!

Cheers, AJ Walkley

message 38: by A.r. (new)

A.r. | 61 comments A.J. wrote: "Hi everyone! I'm new to the group. I'm currently querying lit agents for my first true crime novel, based on a correspondence I've been having with a woman incarcerated in Texas for the last five y..."

Hi A.J. Good luck with your search. Hopefully we'll be seeing your book some time soon?

message 39: by Mirjam (new)

Mirjam Penning (mirjampenning) Like AJ, I'm working on a first True Crime story. The book I want to create is about a serial killer case that happened already (approximately) thirty years ago. It will also be my first book ever. I do not have the (writer) background others in this thread have and I certainly have not anything going with literary agents or publishing agencies. My plan is an eBook and I want this first project in this matter to be mostly my own. I guess, people would advice against that, but for me it's important that 'my dream', of achieving the first book from start to finish on my own, will happen. Sometimes it's more important to do something you're own way instead of the regular way, just to prove a point to yourself you can do it.
Another challenge in this project will be that I write it in a second language.
It's still in the first draft stage, a fourth along, but the deadline is April 15th and I'm on schedule.

I just wanted to share. :)

message 40: by Ken (new)

Ken Lang (drkenlang) Its great to see so many true crime authors here in this group. Having investigated rapes, robberies, and murders for a good portion of my law enforcement career what I enjoyed most was writing about my homicide investigations in a trilogy: Walking Among The Dead, Standing in Death's Shadow: More True Stories from a Homicide Detective and Death Comes Uninvited

Walking Among The Dead by Ken Lang Standing in Death's Shadow More True Stories from a Homicide Detective by Ken Lang Death Comes Uninvited by Ken Lang

Each book has about 10 different cases and carries you through the day and a life of a homicide detective...and they were all my investigations. Real life crime.

I hope you enjoy!

message 41: by Ken (new)

Ken Lang (drkenlang) A.J. wrote: "Hi everyone! I'm new to the group. I'm currently querying lit agents for my first true crime novel, based on a correspondence I've been having with a woman incarcerated in Texas for the last five y..."

Thanks for letting me pre-read your book before publication! I really enjoyed it and am looking forward to seeing it as a final product! Well done!

Ken Lang

message 42: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (emtor) | 12 comments Hi ken. I am a member of a true crime page on facebook. A lot of authors are on there and get the chance to discuss their books with the readers.

message 43: by Ken (new)

Ken Lang (drkenlang) Suzie - could you email me the link? kenlangstudios@gmail.com

message 44: by Susan (new)

Susan Tejada (goodreadscomsusan_tejada) | 17 comments Suzie wrote: "Hi ken. I am a member of a true crime page on facebook. A lot of authors are on there and get the chance to discuss their books with the readers."

Suzie -- Could you e-mail me the link as well? (susan@susantejada.com) Many thanks! Susan

message 45: by Richard (new)

Richard Jr. | 4 comments In keeping with your theme of shamelessly promoting, I have just had my book released. It is called "Hauptmann's Ladder: A Step-by-Step Analysis of the Lindbergh Kidnapping".

I am biased of course, but noted true crime author, Harold Schechter, has described it as "the definitive examination of the Lindbergh Kidnapping". It is my first book and I am very excited about it.

message 46: by Pauline (new)

Pauline Conolly | 3 comments My true crime book is called The Water Doctor's Daughters. It's about the 1850's case of governess Celestine Doudet and the children of Dr James Loftus Marsden. Published in hardback by Robert Hale and coming out as an ebook at the end of this month.
www.paulineconolly.com

message 47: by Mirjam (new)

Mirjam Penning (mirjampenning) It's going well with the first draft progress of my first e-book. I want to reach 92,000 words on April 15. Currently I nearly reached 58,000, divided over 138 pages. There are eight chapters so far I work in, a prologue and an epilogue, for - and afterword.

message 48: by Pauline (new)

Pauline Conolly | 3 comments Good luck Mirjam...keep going.

message 49: by Mirjam (new)

Mirjam Penning (mirjampenning) Thanks Pauline, that's nice of you to write!
I certainly will keep going and I want to keep that deadline. :)

message 50: by Lady ♥ Belleza, Gif Princesa (new)

Richard wrote: "In keeping with your theme of shamelessly promoting, I have just had my book released. It is called "Hauptmann's Ladder: A Step-by-Step Analysis of the Lindbergh Kidnapping".

I am biased of cours..."

How cool! A nod from Harold Schechter, I have a goal to read all his true crime books.

« previous 1 3
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.