Pulp Fiction discussion

The Lime Pit (Harry Stoner, #1)
This topic is about The Lime Pit
The Detectives > Harry Stoner

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dennis (last edited Mar 22, 2013 06:32PM) (new)

Dennis | 35 comments Has anyone read the Harry Stoner novels by Shamus award winner Jonathan Valin? I read most of them back in the 80's and thought they were very good. For more info check here: http://www.thrillingdetective.com/sto...

message 2: by Michael, Anti-Hero (new)

Michael (knowledgelost) | 279 comments Mod
...or you could check out The Lime Pit (book 1) by Jonathan Valin

message 3: by Col (new) - rated it 5 stars

Col (col2910) | 470 comments I read one of them, can't remember which one or when. I was impressed enough to track down the others, all of which are sat around unread and forgotten until now.
I might try and get into them when I finish one of the other series I've started

message 4: by Dennis (new)

Dennis | 35 comments Looks like all of Valin's "Harry Stoner" novels are in e-book form on Amazon both US and UK. I just ordered the The Lime Pit for $2.99.

message 5: by Mohammed (new)

Mohammed  (mohammedaosman) How can he be a detective with the name Stoner is my first thought. What kind of PI series is this? More crime plot oriented or Scudder type?

message 6: by Col (new) - rated it 5 stars

Col (col2910) | 470 comments Mohammed wrote: "How can he be a detective with the name Stoner is my first thought. What kind of PI series is this? More crime plot oriented or Scudder type?"

Mohammed, I can't remember TBH, as the one I read was years ago. Buy one and try him mate, go on you know you want to!

message 7: by Cathy (last edited Apr 13, 2013 12:39PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cathy DuPont (cathydupont) | 215 comments Funny comment, Mohammed. The Stoner name, like a dentist whose name is Hurt.

I've never heard of him but enjoy Shamus nominations and award winners, so will check him out. And there are only 11 in the series, so, for me, that's a good thing.

message 8: by Mohammed (last edited Apr 13, 2013 04:29PM) (new)

Mohammed  (mohammedaosman) Cathy wrote: "Funny comment, Mohammed. The Stoner name, like a dentist whose name is Hurt.

I've never heard of him but enjoy Shamus nominations and award winners, so will check him out. And there are only 11..."

Yeah a finite detective series is a good thing. I respect Shamus award the most in crime fiction, much more than Edgar award. It has been giving to all the best PI,detective authors. Only reason im interesting in this series. But i need to know more from a reader who has read, remember these books.

Cathy DuPont (cathydupont) | 215 comments Mohammed wrote: "Cathy wrote: "Funny comment, Mohammed. The Stoner name, like a dentist whose name is Hurt.

I've never heard of him but enjoy Shamus nominations and award winners, so will check him out. And the..."

Mohammed: So you think you might not like him, that's why you want to hear from others before you read? If that's the case, I'll read it and report back. I'll be happy to 'take a hit' for the mystery team!

Let me know.

message 10: by Mohammed (last edited Apr 13, 2013 05:25PM) (new)

Mohammed  (mohammedaosman) Cathy wrote: "Mohammed wrote: "Cathy wrote: "Funny comment, Mohammed. The Stoner name, like a dentist whose name is Hurt.

I've never heard of him but enjoy Shamus nominations and award winners, so will check..."

I dont think anything yet but since its a rare book,author that isnt easy to find here in Sweden i was hoping to see someone else review,report here. Im reading currenly great,modern classics PI series by Crumley,Block,Max Allan Collins at the same time.

Those books are looking at me in my to read shelf by big fav authors and i dont know anything about this series,author. Simply trust your Goodreads friends reviews is my policy.

I would be glad for your report because i would hate to miss an underrated series.

message 11: by Cathy (last edited Apr 13, 2013 05:56PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cathy DuPont (cathydupont) | 215 comments No problem...I was looking at it earlier to buy.

And sorry, didn't know you were in Sweden so therefore they're hard to come by. I don't pay attention to details that's why I'm NOT a PI. Just read about them!

Oh, I recall now, it's pricey, the paperback and would rather read that. Will get from library.

Put down (after two pages) Max Allan Collins' Angels in Black (used book store) when I picked up The Redbreast from the library so started that.

Still (mantan) | 425 comments Cathy wrote: "Put down (after two pages) Max Allan Collins' Angels in Black (used book store) when I picked up The Redbreast from the library so started that."

I've always had a problem with Max Allan Collins. I've enjoyed reading his reviews and his introductions to various reprints and I respect his devotion to Mickey Spillane.
That said, I have never been able to get through one of his novels -and I still own at least 7 or 8 of them in the hope that one day I'll pick a title up and find that I enjoy it.
So far, no good.

I loved Valin's Harry Stoner series very much back in the 80's. I must have read the first 5 or 6 entries in the series and still own the original paperbacks. I hope. I need to go back and revisit Stoner's world.

message 13: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 440 comments I have to say I haven't been too impressed by any of Collins' novels except the Quarry series. I loved those. The other few I've read were OK, but nothing that made me want to read further. I didn't like either of the two I read that he finished for Spillane. Reminded me of the Tiger Mann series, which I never could stomach. My favorite Spillane works are stand-alones & short stories; The Erection Set & The Tough Guys, for instance.

message 14: by Cathy (last edited Apr 15, 2013 11:47AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cathy DuPont (cathydupont) | 215 comments Mantan wrote: "Cathy wrote: "Put down (after two pages) Max Allan Collins' Angels in Black (used book store) when I picked up The Redbreast from the library so started that."

I've always had a problem with Max A..."

Hi Mantan:

Interesting info which makes me wants to reconsider my next read which will probably begin tonight. Hummm, ok, will have to think about it since I did not get beyond two/three pages of Max Allan Collins.

Now I'm glad that it was only 50 cents!

Thanks so much for your input, Mantan.

Cathy DuPont (cathydupont) | 215 comments Jim wrote: "I have to say I haven't been too impressed by any of Collins' novels except the Quarry series. I loved those. The other few I've read were OK, but nothing that made me want to read further. I d..."

Jim, hello there. Getting some great feedback from guys who I know know what they're talking about. So, with that said, I'm rethinking my next read.

Appreciate your take on the Collins I was surely going to pick up tonight. Thanks so much.

Two thumbs down in a row!

message 16: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 440 comments Cathy, I just compared our books. We're often pretty close on rating. You should take a look & read a couple of my reviews. Might give you more insight into how heavily my opinion should weigh with you.

message 17: by Mohammed (last edited Apr 16, 2013 04:21AM) (new)

Mohammed  (mohammedaosman) Jim wrote: "I have to say I haven't been too impressed by any of Collins' novels except the Quarry series. I loved those. The other few I've read were OK, but nothing that made me want to read further. I d..."

Have you read Nathan Heller series ? His most acclaimed series, it has won more shamus awards than most PI series. Nathan Heller books is so much better written than Quarry. Quarry is fun series and Heller is a great PI modern series. I dont judge his real quality by some stand alone books that he wrote.

So it depends on what you have you read. For me he is in top 10-15 fav authors in Noir/PI field because of those two series.

Still (mantan) | 425 comments Mohammed wrote: "Jim wrote: "I have to say I haven't been too impressed by any of Collins' novels except the Quarry series. I loved those. The other few I've read were OK, but nothing that made me want to read f..."

After reading your post, Mohammed I went downstairs to my basement library where I keep my pulp/hardboiled/noir collection of novels & anthologies and saw that I have filed in my "to keep" sections 2 Nate Hellers: TRUE DETECTIVE (hardback with a gorgeous retro-pulpish dustjacket) and MILLION DOLLAR WOUND (paperback).

Since I have those filed alphabetically it would indicate that I read at least one of those in the distant past. I can't remember reading them, however.

I also have at least 1 or 2 of "Quarry" entries and 1 "Mallory" in the hardbacks & vintage paperbacks I've yet to read and file. I'll be moving all those into my ever expanding TBR stack.

I'm willing to give Max Allan Collins another shot.
It'll be a while.

I'm 2/3rds of the way through Dan J. Marlowe's THE NAME OF THE GAME IS DEATH and I think I'm about to go on a marathon-read of his stuff.
I'd intended to read the remaining Gil Brewer titles I own but... man... Time is tight!

message 19: by Mohammed (new)

Mohammed  (mohammedaosman) I read True Detective in second hand book i bought online that was almost in pieces but it was worth trying a hailed historical PI series and it was much better written than i expected.

Only reason i havent read 10+ Heller books is i have been reading Scudder, Parker books.

Still (mantan) | 425 comments Mohammed wrote: "I read True Detective in second hand book i bought online that was almost in pieces but it was worth trying a hailed historical PI series and it was much better written than i expected.

Only reas..."

I'm a solid Parker freak. After you've gone thru all of the 1st 16 entries in the series, give Dan J. Marlowe's "Chet Arnold" series a try. At least the 1st one. THE NAME OF THE GAME IS DEATH is right up the same alley, only "Chet Arnold" is considerably more of a sociopath than "Parker".