VAMPIRES DON'T SPARKLE discussion

2013 BOOK CHALLENGE > Kimberly's 2013 Books that Bite (in a good way)

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dan, destroyer of vegan vampire sissies (last edited Mar 22, 2013 06:16PM) (new)

Dan (dan2345) | 880 comments Mod
Here is your thread, Kimberly to talk about and review the vampire books you have read this year.

message 2: by Kimberly, Supreme Hater of Twilight, lover of all other things vampiric (new)

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 97 comments Mod
Thanks Dan!!

BUREN KANSAS, by Alan Ryker. This is the first in a possible trilogy, but as of this posting, only the second, BLOOD TELLS TRUE, has been released. BURDEN KANSAS has some very nasty, non-sparkly vampires indeed! While intended to be the first, it is a fine stand-alone novel (I haven't read the second yet). The book is fast paced with engaging characters and dialogue. These vamps are truly horrible, and while I don't want to give away any potential spoilers, they had a few unique twists that made Mr. Ryker's take on them very memorable. Fantastic, adrenaline fueled ending that had me immediately looking forward to more from this author. 5 Fangs!

message 3: by Kimberly, Supreme Hater of Twilight, lover of all other things vampiric (last edited Mar 23, 2013 01:10PM) (new)

4 Fangs:

HAG NIGHT, by Tim Curran. I've long been a fan of Tim Curran's fiction, and eagerly awaited the release of this one. His vampire's are all that a vampire should be: horrifying, putrid, vile, unabashed evil. I rounded this one up to 4 Fangs, but it was more of a 3.5 for me. No question about the vampires--in fact, his narration on their origin and past experiences were fantastic! My only problem with this one was that the several of the "regular" characters just didn't ring true to me. The motivation and "unique" personality/values of one of the key humans was a bit too much of a stretch, IMO. Curran's atmospheric prose is top notch, however; I felt this one could have been shortened by about 100 pages without losing too much.

Fans of Curran will not regret reading this one, but it wasn't my #1 pick for vampire stories this year.

message 4: by Dan, destroyer of vegan vampire sissies (new)

Dan (dan2345) | 880 comments Mod
Good reviews, Kimberly. I really want to read those now based on everything you said. LOL.

message 5: by Char (new)

Char Burden Kansas was AWESOME. The second one is too.

Nice reviews, Kimberly! :)

I need to get to Hag Night. *sigh*

message 6: by Kimberly, Supreme Hater of Twilight, lover of all other things vampiric (new)

Charlene wrote: "Burden Kansas was AWESOME. The second one is too.

Nice reviews, Kimberly! :)

I need to get to Hag Night. *sigh*"

Charlene--I'm pretty sure my sister bought the kindle version and can loan it, if you're interested...

message 7: by Char (new)

Char Oh that's so nice, Kim, but I'm not going to be able to get to it for a while. I do appreciate the offer though. :)

message 8: by Kimberly, Supreme Hater of Twilight, lover of all other things vampiric (new)

I will eventually get to BLOOD TELLS TRUE. Quite a few people suggested that it was even better than BURDEN KANSAS....

message 9: by Char (new)

Char A couple of people I know did say just that.
I liked them both. I was just happy to see mean and nasty vamps again. :)

message 10: by Kimberly, Supreme Hater of Twilight, lover of all other things vampiric (new)

I hear you! LOL!