Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Cover Help > Classic Covers Question

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Henri (new)

Henri Moreaux (henrimoreaux) | 3 comments Question for my fellow librarians, when adding books from the 1700s-1900s what method do you use for the cover;

- Cover only

- Cover & partial spine

- Cover & full spine

I somewhat feel the cover only misses out on the intricate gilted titles on some books, especially when the front board is just plain.

message 2: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl If the title only appears on the spine, then I think cover plus spine is fine. Otherwise, I don't like to see a spine.

message 3: by Emy (new)

Emy (emypt) | 5036 comments For a book I own, it would be whatever is easiest to take and least destructive to the binding. For example, the last option seems very harsh on a binding, therefore not going there... Personal though really, and as far as I am aware, there is no specific policy so it's up to you...

message 4: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl I don't really mind partial spine as in your second example.

I also think your first row of examples is fine even though they don't show the title. People will know the title from the book record.

message 5: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 44666 comments Mod
Any of those examples is fine. Matter of personal preference.

message 6: by Henri (new)

Henri Moreaux (henrimoreaux) | 3 comments Where there's no title on the cover, or only a partial title or author I think the second is my preference of adding so you get a glimpse of the spine design (so it's easy for others to identify if they have the same edition).

As Emy said, I think pressing the spine flat on a book that's been curved on a shelf for one, two or three hundred years might not end to well for the book.

I've seen just photos of books added here but I don't think that looks that great when there's 60% book and 40% table/tablecloth/etc in the photo.

message 7: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl Henri wrote: "I don't think that looks that great when there's 60% book and 40% table/tablecloth/etc in the photo. "

Well I certainly agree with that. Also when there is glare coming off the book that makes parts of it invisible.