SOS: Serious Overload of Series discussion

Book Recommendations & Favorites > B&N's 20 Best Paranormal Fantasy Novels of the Last Decade

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Steph, Just keep swimming … (last edited Mar 22, 2013 05:16PM) (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28229 comments B&N posted their 20 Best Paranormal Fantasy Novels of the Last Decade to include (Order #20-1):

The Nymphos of Rocky Flats (Felix Gomez, #1) by Mario Acevedo Pride Mates (Shifters Unbound, #1) by Jennifer Ashley No Hero by Jonathan Wood Rosemary and Rue (October Daye, #1) by Seanan McGuire Moon Called (Mercy Thompson, #1) by Patricia Briggs Already Dead (Joe Pitt, #1) by Charlie Huston and Falling, Fly (Harrowing #1) by Skyler White Four and Twenty Blackbirds (Eden Moore, #1) by Cherie Priest Blue-Blooded Vamp (Sabina Kane, #5) by Jaye Wells The Taken (Celestial Blues, #1) by Vicki Pettersson A Rush of Wings (The Maker's Song, #1) by Adrian Phoenix Dead to the World (Sookie Stackhouse, #4) by Charlaine Harris Tempest Rising (Jane True, #1) by Nicole Peeler Cerulean Sins (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #11) by Laurell K. Hamilton Greywalker (Greywalker, #1) by Kat Richardson Blood Blade (Skinners, # 1) by Marcus Pelegrimas Unholy Ghosts (Downside Ghosts, #1) by Stacia Kane Dead Beat (The Dresden Files, #7) by Jim Butcher Sandman Slim (Sandman Slim, #1) by Richard Kadrey For a Few Demons More (The Hollows, #5) by Kim Harrison

You can read the full article here.

What do you think?

Ninab (Honesty is the Best Policy)  | 149 comments Hmm, some of these I definitely agree with. Some I've never heard of, so I wonder at their staying power. And where oh where is our good friend Kate Daniels???

message 3: by Steph, Just keep swimming … (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28229 comments Ninab wrote: "And where oh where is our good friend Kate Daniels???"

Right? I thought the same, Ninab.

message 4: by Sandra, Kindle Operator Licence Required (new)

Sandra | 23491 comments Not only is Kate missing but so is Nalini, in either series.

There are about 3 or so I haven't heard of, but I'd have to say the list is skewed toward UF.

Which is fine if that is what they wanted, but then why not call it that; cause Best Paranormal Fantasy Novels of the Last Decade could be anything.

message 5: by Judithe, Soap Operas never end.... (new)

Judithe | 6371 comments I'd have to agree with that...missing some biggies!!

message 6: by Steph, Just keep swimming … (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28229 comments Definitely more skewed toward UF; guess their "paranormal fantasy" doesn't include those with romance. There are only a couple PNR listed.

Let's make our own PNR-only list. :D

Let us know which paranormal romance novels would make your best of list for the last decade?

message 7: by Josie (new)

Josie | 1967 comments Huh, strange list! It seems like this is a personal list of favourite books (that have paranormal elements) by whoever posted the article. This is because a lot of what he has put under each entry I would challenge (plus he quotes himself) and not just because I disagree but because of general consensus. For example, Mercy series having its ups and downs? Really?
I'm probably being harsh because some of them are pretty unknown and on a personal note, I found 'For a Few Demons More' to be the worst Hollows book so I don't like that it's #1 LOL

We should definitely do a PNR list. I'd put Psy-Changeling and Immortals After Dark on there :)

message 8: by Steph, Just keep swimming … (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28229 comments I guess it's hard to be impartial unless they were basing the results on a poll, which might'a been better/more accurate. Definitely not the list our members would put together, I'm guessing.

Psy-Changeling and Lords of the Underworld or maybe Demonica on my PNR. I'd have to look at individual books w/in my favorite series to make a Best Of Decade list.

For my UF list, I'd have to include: Dorina Basarab (Karen Chance) and Katie D (Ilona). I'm sure there are others, but those definitely should'a been there, IMHO.

message 9: by Sandra, Kindle Operator Licence Required (new)

Sandra | 23491 comments Oh, yes Dorina has to make the list!!!! And IAD as well.

message 10: by Steph, Just keep swimming … (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28229 comments :D

message 11: by Josie (new)

Josie | 1967 comments If I was to make a PNR list, I'd probably put one book of each "main" series, like BDB, IAD, LOTU etc.

I'll give it a go (not in any particular order), I'm only going up to #10. Oh and the ones that are chosen are just because they're general faves (or my personal faves!) though I haven't read much of LOTU, my Fantasyland team assure me that 'The Darkest Pleasure' is good ;)
Plus I couldn't decide between Kiss of Snow and Caressed by Ice so I put both there for everyone to decide between. I also couldn't decide which IAD book to choose so I went with Lothaire because everyone loves him :)

Caressed By Ice (Psy-Changeling, #3) by Nalini Singh or Kiss of Snow (Psy-Changeling, #10) by Nalini Singh Lothaire (Immortals After Dark, #12) by Kresley Cole Lover Awakened (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #3) by J.R. Ward The Darkest Pleasure (Lords of the Underworld, #3) by Gena Showalter Dragon Bound (Elder Races, #1) by Thea Harrison Passion Unleashed (Demonica, #3) by Larissa Ione Acheron (Dark-Hunter, #15) by Sherrilyn Kenyon Edge of Dawn (Midnight Breed, #11) by Lara Adrian

Not sure who should have the last two spots... any ideas?

Now for urban fantasy. I've probably missed loads so apologies. Also Kelley Armstrong's series - I would've classed it as a UF but it changes characters each book so I'm not really sure. Possible ones should've been on the list: Sabina Kane, Jane Yellowrock, Kara Gillian, Jane True, Alex Craft, Allie Beckstrom plus others. Again, don't know who should have the last two spots.

Magic Strikes (Kate Daniels, #3) by Ilona Andrews Fury's Kiss (Dorina Basarab, #3) by Karen Chance Moon Called (Mercy Thompson, #1) by Patricia Briggs Halfway to the Grave (Night Huntress, #1) by Jeaniene Frost City of Ghosts (Downside Ghosts, #3) by Stacia Kane Dead to the World (Sookie Stackhouse, #4) by Charlaine Harris Summer Knight (The Dresden Files, #4) by Jim Butcher Dreamfever (Fever, #4) by Karen Marie Moning Ever After (The Hollows, #11) by Kim Harrison Curse the Dawn (Cassandra Palmer, #4) by Karen Chance Shift (Shifters, #5) by Rachel Vincent Kitty's House of Horrors (Kitty Norville, #7) by Carrie Vaughn Friday Night Bites (Chicagoland Vampires, #2) by Chloe Neill Bloody Bones (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #5) by Laurell K. Hamilton Deadly Desire (Riley Jenson Guardian, #7) by Keri Arthur Double Cross (The Disillusionists Trilogy, #2) by Carolyn Crane Fair Game (Alpha & Omega, #3) by Patricia Briggs Spider’s Revenge (Elemental Assassin, #5) by Jennifer Estep

message 12: by Steph, Just keep swimming … (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28229 comments Great choices, Josie! You've listed many of my faves.