From the Bowels of Obscurity Children's Book Club discussion

But All My Favorite Books Were Popular!

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Heather (new)

Heather (justanothermammabear) | 10 comments Mod
Even if you loved only NY Times bestsellers, you have a place here! What did you love as a kid?

message 2: by Vanda (new)

Vanda Jensen (taswegian1957) | 3 comments I always loved stories where the characters lived or travelled to interesting places. "Black Forest Summer", "The Vine Clad Hill" and "Windmill Hill" by Mabel Esther Allan and The Chalet School Stories by Elinor Brent Dyer were what I was reading from about age ten and I still love them today. The Vine Clad Hill  by Mabel Esther Allan

message 3: by sj (new)

sj (essjay42) | 4 comments Mod
LM Montgomery! Emily moreso than Anne, but still. <3

message 4: by Vanda (new)

Vanda Jensen (taswegian1957) | 3 comments sj wrote: "LM Montgomery! Emily moreso than Anne, but still. <3" Funnily enough I never read the "Anne" books as a child. I don't know why but I acquired Emily's Quest secondhand from somewhere so of course I had to try and find the other books at the library and eventually got to read them.

message 5: by Vanda (new)

Vanda Jensen (taswegian1957) | 3 comments I forgot to mention "The Abbey Girls" series, another schoolgirl favourite.

message 6: by Heather (new)

Heather (justanothermammabear) | 10 comments Mod
Mamma wrote: "Even if you loved only NY Times bestsellers, you have a place here! What did you love as a kid?"

The Phantom Tollbooth has always been a favorite of mine. And I know I am not alone!

message 7: by sj (new)

Mamma wrote:
The Phantom Tollbooth has always been a favorite of mine. And I know I am not alone!"

Yes, I still love this one.

message 8: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 2 comments Rats, I'm already late mentioning The Phantom Tollbooth.

I loved it so much, having read it at least 25 times, that I MADE my kids read it.
No other book came close to that one.
I still laugh when I see my favorite monster, The Threadbare Excuse. (...well, I've been sick...but everyone else did it!)

message 9: by sj (new)

I still laugh anytime someone says "that dreadful row."

message 10: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (historyguru) | 3 comments I read all of the Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys books - I was sure that I was going to grow up and be a girl detective.

I loved the Secret Garden, too - or any book, really, that involved me ending up in some secret place, far away from other people.

message 11: by Samantha (new)

Samantha (minnie89) | 1 comments Some of my favorites were "From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler", "The Snowstorm" by Beryl Netherclift, "The Girl with the Silver Eyes" and "Harriet the Spy". I'm planning on writing posts on all of these :)

message 12: by Katie (new)

Katie (katiewaters) | 4 comments Judy Blume!!!! R.L. Stine!!!! How about Charlotte's Web?!?

From the Bowels of Obscurity Children's Book Club

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Vine-Clad Hill (other topics)