What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Query abandoned by poster > ABANDONED. Old Romance - English Lord Tally hires typist to be his fiancee to make his ex jealous, then falls for her

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Srmc (new)

Srmc | 1 comments Please help me find the title to a romance novel I read back in the seventies!

It was set in England and the hero's name (nickname) was Tally because his father had been out foxhunting when they brought him the news that his son had been born and at the same moment he caught sight of the fox and shouted Tally Ho. Tally's real name might be Anthony but I'm not sure and he is titled (Lord?).

The plot: Tally is dating this girl who jilts him and he hires the heroine (a typist?) to pretend to be his fiancee to save face, make the other girl jealous, and somehow facilitate them getting back together. The heroine accepts because she has financial obligations (I think) to meet and the money that Tally offers would help. They go to St Moritz where the heroine who is from a poorer background finds it hard to fit in with the wealthy titled crowd that Tally runs with (she doesn't know how to ski for example) but she falls for Tally so she tries for his sake. At some point after they return to England she leaves him abruptly ( due to a misunderstanding?). She leaves behind everything he gave her (jewels, clothes, money etc) and moves into poor lodgings where she contracts pleurisy. Without money for a doctor, she almost dies but her landlady is kind (I think) and calls the doctor in.

Meanwhile Tally has realised that the other girl was never really worth it whereas the heroine is, and he's also fallen for her but she left before he could tell her. He starts looking for her with very little information to go on and eventually finds her stricken with pleurisy and unconscious. She regains consciousness to find him in the room with her and they work things out. All misunderstandings resolved, engagement renewed for real this time, and all's well that ends well.

I hope this is enough to track down the title of the book. It might have been a Mills & Boon or Harlequin etc from the sixties or seventies.

Thank you for your help!

message 2: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39296 comments Mod
Srmc, are you still looking for this romance?

message 3: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39296 comments Mod
No response in 2 years. Moving to Abandoned.