From the Bowels of Obscurity Children's Book Club discussion

Thrift Store Finds!

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Heather (new)

Heather (justanothermammabear) | 10 comments Mod
Ever find one of those out-of-print, hard-to-find, cost-the-moon favorites you've been looking for your whole life sitting on the shelf of a thrift store for a quarter? Or in a lot on Ebay? Share your finds!

message 2: by Heather (new)

I'll start! I loved the bookMe And Caleb Again so much as a kid! My librarian had read the first book, but our school library didn't have the sequel. I found it at my public library and LOVED it. I spent the next 20 years looking for my own copy. As far as I know, it was never released in paperback. I bid on it numerous times on Ebay, but I always bowed out after bidding hit $150.

About six years ago, I found it on Ebay again. I bid on it, but I knew I had bid too low. I went for a visit to my favorite used bookstore that same day. And guess what I found?! Want to know where? THE FREE BIN!

That's right! Because it was ex-library, it had been discarded. Truly, one man's trash is another man's treasured childhood favorite!

message 3: by Emily (new)

Emily | 3 comments I found The Devil's Own by Deborah Lisson--one of my favorite childhood books (before I knew it would be a favorite)--at a dollar store. It's Australian and now out of print, and I wonder how it made its way to a Dollar Tree in the US. But now whenever I go to the Dollar Tree, I check out their book section to see if I can find another gem (I can't). Does this book qualify as obscure? I don't know anyone who has heard of it, except for sj because I talk about it all the time.

message 4: by sj (new)

sj (essjay42) | 4 comments Mod
Emily wrote: "I don't know anyone who has heard of it, except for sj because I talk about it all the time."
Hee, this is true.

message 5: by Heather (new)

Emily wrote: "I found The Devil's Own by Deborah Lisson--one of my favorite childhood books (before I knew it would be a favorite)--at a dollar store. It's Australian and now out of print, and I wonder how it ma..."

I haven't heard of it, myself. I love finding stuff I love in weird places!

message 6: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (historyguru) | 3 comments I used to adore the Dorrie the witch stories by Patricia Coombs when I was a kid. We checked them out of the library constantly, but I've never met anyone outside of our family who has read them. And yet, I know that there are people out there, because I end up bidding against them on eBay for ex-library copies all of the time.

I've managed to acquire two (almost) full sets for my mom and I over the period of 10 years of careful bidding (never more than $15 a book), but always missed out on the super-rare Dorrie's Play because it always went over $150 at auction.

I also keep an eye on Amazon for the books because they show up used there as well, and lo and behold, they are finally being reprinted and I was able to buy one for the relatively bargain price of $17.00.

message 7: by Aischa (new)

Aischa | 5 comments Cynthia wrote: "I used to adore the Dorrie the witch stories by Patricia Coombs when I was a kid. We checked them out of the library constantly, but I've never met anyone outside of our family who has read them. A..."

Oh, the Dorrie books. I wish they'd republish them, and not in a compilation. Maybe it can suggest it to the New York review of books. They are reprinting some odd classics.

From the Bowels of Obscurity Children's Book Club

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Me And Caleb Again (other topics)