From the Bowels of Obscurity Children's Book Club discussion

Teen books

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Heather (new)

Heather (justanothermammabear) | 10 comments Mod
What were you reading when everyone else was reading VC Andrews? Or when you had finished VC Andrews?

message 2: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 2 comments Re-reading Lord of the Rings for the fourth or fifth time.
I even read The Silmarillion at least three times.

Can't remember many, but I seem to remember the gory ones the most:
The Stand, The Shining, In Cold Blood, Helter Skelter.

I also read a forgettable river of popular romance novels as a teen. I eventually realized that they were making me dissatisfied and never read one again.

message 3: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (historyguru) | 3 comments I read all of the Stephen King books as a pre-teen and teen, as well as any other horror novels that I could get my hands on. My mother threatened to ban them since I started having problems sleeping, due to my "overactive" imagination.

The only book that she ever actually took away from me though was The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich, mostly because I started reciting Hitler's atrocities at the dinner table, I think.

message 4: by Katie (new)

Katie (katiewaters) | 4 comments My mom bought me The Amityville Horror at a yard sale. Eeks!!!

message 5: by Katie (new)

Katie (katiewaters) | 4 comments I also liked Upchuck Summer & thanks to Goodreads, I see that there was a sequel!

message 6: by Emily (new)

Emily | 3 comments Has anyone read the Secret Diary of Laura Palmer from the show Twin Peaks? I remember loving this book and being really freaked out at the same time.

message 7: by Anne (new)

Anne Wilburn | 1 comments I loved a book called The Brats and Mr.Jack- we went on a 2 week trip in my gradma's Rv the summer between 3rd and 4th grade and the bag with all my other books got left behind. I probably read The Brats.. at least 4 times on our journey, but it was a library book, so I had to return it, and I have never seen it again. Reminded me of From the Mixed Up Files...

message 8: by Nerija (new)

Nerija | 1 comments Lisa wrote: "I also read a forgettable river of popular romance novels as a teen. I eventually realized that they were making me dissatisfied and never read one again."

Heh. In sixth or seventh grade, I read a bit of this teen series that was simply called Love Stories. I felt so cool because I was reading books about high-schoolers, and they were romance books. One day in Science, the guy sitting next to me saw one of the slim paperbacks among my other books, and he asked me, in a genuinely perplexed tone, "Why do you read those?"

Didn't he understand that these books were supposed to give me insights into real young adult relationships? This was important stuff, yo! ...until I got bored and moved on to Thoroughbread and Animorphs and such.

From the Bowels of Obscurity Children's Book Club

unread topics | mark unread