Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Miscellaneous Book Talk > cosyish mysteries

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Paul (new)

Paul Morrison | 6 comments Hi, just thought that I would ask for some recommendations, I am looking for some cosyish mysteries, that are not too twee, in a contemporary setting, i've tried the Agatha Raisin books, but they were a bit too cheesy. So I am in your hands, go on do your thing....

message 2: by Melodie (last edited Mar 22, 2013 03:50PM) (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3604 comments Susie & I both read a lot cozies. I'm never sure what to recommend to a man in that vein. You might try Jeffrey Allen's Stay-At-Home-Dad books. He's really Jeff Shelby who writes the Noah Braddock which are hardboiled and quite dark. The Stay-At-Home-Dad books have a lot of humor in them and are a lot of fun. There are only 2 of them, so far, Stay At Home Dead by Jeffrey Allen and Popped Off by Jeffrey Allen . The 3rd one comes out in June, I think.

message 3: by Dan in AZ (new)

Dan in AZ | 2648 comments You might try the Al Roper/Dick Lochte Billy Blessing series (only 3 books to date).

message 4: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14417 comments Paul:
I recommend Sarah Graves Home Repair is Homicide series! I am on my mobile, so will try to go back and edit with a link. I think this series would qualify as not too twee. ( though admit I am a bit vague on the definition of twee!!) ;)

message 5: by Paul (new)

Paul Morrison | 6 comments sorry, I didn't realise its only used this side of the Atlantic, its something that is very sentimental, and a bit of a rose tinted view, in this context its that 50's village setting.

I'll try not to use naff then either to avoid confusion

Paul..

message 6: by Susie (new)

Susie Fevella (susieinks) | 1610 comments Melodie wrote: "Susie & I both read a lot cozies. I'm never sure what to recommend to a man in that vein. You might try Jeffrey Allen's Stay-At-Home-Dad books. He's really Jeff Shelby who writes the Noah Braddo..."

Yes we do Melodie! Maybe we could suggest one of the cozy discussion boards :)

message 7: by Paul (new)

Paul Morrison | 6 comments Many thanks for that, I quite like the look of the Billy Blessing books although they don't appear to be available electronically on the UK Amazon.

Could I be a bit cheeky,as I said, I'd never really read cosy mysteries, as they didn't really appeal... but I think I've gone and written a cosy mystery, but as I haven't read many I'm not sure. What happened was that I wrote something that I would want to read, and this was how it ended up.
The main character is quite similar to me, but in a fake psychic parallel universe kind of way!!!
So I have tentatively used the term cosy-ish, which i'm thinking of trade marking, because I'm loathe to get lots of people saying that its not a cosy mystery,.
But I was hoping that if I could send anybody who might be interested in reading an electronic copy of it, could you let me know whether it is cosy or cosy-ish(Trade mark pending)or something completely different.

I would be grateful to anybody who is able to read it. Its called The White Swan, if you want to have a look, its had some good reviews on Amazon (UK). I am not trying to use this to sell the book though, this is genuine query. This was why I wanted to read some to get an idea of the genre.

sorry it's a bit rambley!!
Paul..

message 8: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7914 comments Paul wrote: "sorry, I didn't realise its only used this side of the Atlantic, its something that is very sentimental, and a bit of a rose tinted view, in this context its that 50's village setting.

I'll try ..."

Paul, feel free to use the word "twee" and any other British-isms you care to. We will ask if we aren't clear, as Ann did. Some of us love British mysteries and I personally am always fascinated when I come across British terms in those books. I've even thought of starting a thread on the English Mysteries Board http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/2... to get definitions and to comment on those I can pick out in context.