The Sword and Laser discussion

One Credit

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Liam (new)

Liam Johnstone (hadaad) | 27 comments I have one credit sitting in my Audible account. I find myself drawn to both 1Q84 and Downbelow Station. I can't pick. I've read synopses and reviews of both of them and I just can't make up my mind. Since they've both been S&L picks, I was wondering if the faithful fellowship that is this book club could steer me toward the right pick.

Thanks in advance.

message 2: by P. Aaron (new)

P. Aaron Potter (paaronpotter) | 585 comments I've only read the books, but based on popular response to the audio of Downbelow Station, I'd push you towards 1Q84. Apparently the 'Dobby the elf' voices in DBS are to one's ears like a good solid wood rasp to the kneecaps.

message 3: by Christopher (new)

Christopher Johnson | 15 comments I enjoyed Downbelow Station, but there are two problems. 1. the previous poster is correct, the Dobbie impersonation the reader does is a bit grating. 2. It is the first of a series of which none of the other books are availabe as audio or ebook. quite a few aren't even in print. I have not read the other.

message 4: by Warren (last edited Mar 23, 2013 07:47AM) (new)

Warren | 1556 comments If you like the Firefly TV series, try Chris Wooding Tales of the Ketty Jay.
(The first book in the series is Retribution Falls)
For humor I would go with- Year Zero by Rob Reid
For fantasy try - Dragon Arcana by Pierre Pevel
and for new books I'd go with one thats due out Tuesday.
-Red Planet Blues by Robert J Sawyer

For any audio book I would first listen to a sample
(see if you like the reader)

message 5: by Liam (new)

Liam Johnstone (hadaad) | 27 comments Warren: I'm a fan of the Firefly series. I will look into Tales of the Ketty Jay. Thanks for the recommendation.

message 6: by Liam (new)

Liam Johnstone (hadaad) | 27 comments Unfortunately, Retribution Falls is not offered on Audible's list of audiobooks. Thanks for the recommendation. It looks like something I'd be interested in reading.

message 7: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandikal) | 1212 comments I've listened to both.

1Q84 is a far superior audiobook.

Have you read Reamde by Neal Stephenson yet or 11/22/63 by Stephen King? Both a great audiobooks too. I'd recommend either over 1Q84.

Sorry, I just made the process harder for you.

message 8: by Warren (last edited Mar 23, 2013 04:12PM) (new)

Warren | 1556 comments Ref- Tales of the Ketty Jay. There are three books (so far) but only the last is avaliable on audible_ http://goo.gl/4o2sx
Bummer. They're all good and could be read stand alone.
As for 1Q84 vs Downbelow station.
That's a lot of hours of listening so I'd go with the best narration.

message 9: by Liam (new)

Liam Johnstone (hadaad) | 27 comments Sandi: I'm listening to 11/22/63 right now and I just finished a Neal Stephenson book (Snow Crash) so I'm looking for a new author. Definitely leaning toward 1Q84 right now.