IDK what to name it... discussion

Save the Arts!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 59 (59 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Sydney (new)

Sydney (gleekgamer) | 37 comments http://www.franklinboe.org//cms/modul...

So, basically, the vote for the school budget is coming up, and again, they are threatening to cut more arts. This year, the public will NOT get to vote on the budget. This Thursday, there will be a Board of Education vote choosing between two things: cut the arts, or privatize (fire) the paraproffesionals. While neither is optimal, as someone who is an FTPS Arts student, I feel that I have to put in my two cents. Please, fill out the survey I put a link to above to tell the BoE WHY WE NEED THE ARTS. Rumored proposed cuts include, but aren't limited to, cutting the middle school chorus and orchestra programs starting next year. Also, you could go speak at the BoE meeting on Thursday night and tell them in person, as I have done in the past. (I, unfortunately, will be in Pittsburgh.) Please, spread the word so we can save the arts for us and the grades below us.

message 2: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa (goodreadscomAlice_Skywalker) | 142 comments Mod
Obviously, this is all a ploy by Lord Voldemort to eliminate all happiness on this Earth. EVERYBODY REBEL!!!!!!

message 3: by Alyssa (new)

But seriously, you should go. This is important, even if it doesn't directly affect you.

message 4: by Sydney (new)

Sydney (gleekgamer) | 37 comments Thank you! :) Also, spread the word! Post what I wrote EVERYWHERE! I want as many people to know about this as possible! Please please please, this is very important!

message 5: by Alyssa (new)

Ikr!! I can't believe Seto has the nerve to try and take away music. Doesn't he realize that music is more than it seems?? Dance and sports aren't everything...I mean, he's turning into the principal from Lemonade Mouth!! I thought I'd never have to say anything like that about any administrator from our district!!

message 6: by Pauline (last edited Mar 22, 2013 06:14PM) (new)

Pauline | 41 comments I heard Ms. Peralta talking about that yesterday. ): Why can't they just leave the arts alone? They're what make the world interesting.

Btw, what category should I submit to?

message 7: by Alyssa (new)

They're probably just jealous of our artistic talent.

message 8: by Alyssa (new)

But the worst thing is that "Arts" is such a wide variety if activities. It is not only music, but also all the activities under visual arts. That's a lot, and it's a risky cut...but then again, we're just kids, we don't know anything. Therefore, we don't have a say. But I'd be furious if they took away arts in the high school. That is the age where we really begin to hone our skills (with the exception of Pauline, her skills are already extremely "honed").

message 9: by Pauline (new)

Pauline | 41 comments Aw, thanks~ :) And anyway, I plan on making some sort of career out of art! All the electives I picked for high-school were art-related. How can you just build up these students' talents and then discontinue their training?

message 10: by Alyssa (new)

No problem. ;) There are some things I don't even want to say on goodreads (cause they can probably track it and use it against me--by "they," I mean the "man"). And me too, my four choices were all music-related. If I didn't want to continue some kind of life in music, I wouldn't have been playing violin since I was six and keeping up with it a these years.

message 11: by Pauline (new)

Pauline | 41 comments Haha, "the man." xD And congrats with your violin studies!

message 12: by Alyssa (new)

Thanks! I just wish "they" felt the same way... :/

message 13: by Pauline (new)

Pauline | 41 comments True.

message 14: by Alyssa (new)

It's beautiful Avinash. I love it.

message 15: by Alyssa (new)

I totally have to agree with Avinash.

message 16: by Sydney (new)

Sydney (gleekgamer) | 37 comments Yay, people are replying! :) I submitted mine under "Extra Curricular Activities," although that feels like an understatement.

message 17: by Pauline (new)

Pauline | 41 comments Thanks, you guys! >u< I just hope that I'll actually have the determination to really push myself.

message 18: by Pauline (new)

Pauline | 41 comments I think I could've done better, but here's what I put:

I understand that the board is considering cutting the arts from the school budget. As part of the FMS Art Club, I am obliged to try and prevent this, although I'd do it whether I was a member or not. I believe that removing the arts from the school program would be an upsetting mistake. Many students use the arts as an outlet, a way to express themselves and take a break from mundane lessons. By taking them away, you would be condemning their opportunity to let their creativity shine. Furthermore, students may be planning to choose a career in the arts, as I am- we can't all handle a desk job. I think it is at these ages when we start to get a feel for what we want to do when we grow older, and I should like to think that when students decide this, the arts will be given a try. Besides, the arts (in my opinion) are what make the world interesting and beautiful. Do you really want to take away the students' chance to contribute to this?

message 19: by Alyssa (new)

Desk jobs are boring.

message 20: by Pauline (new)

Pauline | 41 comments Very.

message 21: by Pauline (new)

Pauline | 41 comments Zareen wrote: "Pauline wrote: "I think I could've done better, but here's what I put:

I understand that the board is considering cutting the arts from the school budget. As part of the FMS Art Club, I am obliged..."

Good. xD

message 22: by Pauline (new)

Pauline | 41 comments I would like very much for their minds to blow up.

message 23: by Sydney (new)

Sydney (gleekgamer) | 37 comments By the way I already submitted mine, and I didn't post it here, like an idiot. >.< Sorry.

message 24: by Pauline (new)

Pauline | 41 comments That's okay. c: I'm sure it was awesome.

message 25: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 31 comments Zareen wrote: "All jokes aside, it is messed up with what they're doing. First they want to take away orchestra, but now art. That's wrong. Avi and Pauline's responses should just blow their minds up and show the..."

Yeah Zareen.. Blow Up their minds!

message 26: by Alyssa (new)

Omg!!!

message 27: by Alyssa (new)

There was an explosion of the mind, so I made an exclamation of surprise.

message 28: by Pauline (new)

Pauline | 41 comments Yeah, Avinash.

message 29: by Pauline (last edited Mar 24, 2013 05:11PM) (new)

Pauline | 41 comments She does. <(.w.)>

message 30: by Pauline (new)

Pauline | 41 comments No.

message 31: by Tyler (last edited Mar 24, 2013 05:55PM) (new)

Tyler Dey | 66 comments Arts? Arts?! Cut 'em, yeah. Add more to the sciences and things like that. (Not really) And they wouldn't cut arts for the high school anyway, there were literally like 40 or so different art classes. They couldn't possibly cut that out. And if they did, they'd have a ton of overcrowded electives and many people wouldn't be able to continue on with what they love to do such as dance, painting, instruments, etc. And besides, tons of the kids in the school won't do anything in their life other than take the government's welfare, so let's at least make them feel good in dance and things like that before they utterly fail their lives.

message 32: by Pauline (new)

Pauline | 41 comments Tyler wrote: "Arts? Arts?! Cut 'em, yeah. Add more to the sciences and things like that. (Not really) And they wouldn't cut arts for the high school anyway, there were literally like 40 or so different art class..."

You should submit that.

message 33: by Pauline (new)

Pauline | 41 comments Aaaand I'm watching Les Miserables! Born from the arts.

message 34: by Pauline (new)

Pauline | 41 comments It's amazing, but it's so sad throughout most of the movie. There's a happy ending, of course.

message 35: by Alyssa (new)

OMG Pauline, I wanna see that so bad. I also wanna see Oz, but I'm gonna have to wait a while for that one. :/

message 36: by Alyssa (new)

Ur brother is cool (and he's also an amazing pianist, just for the record). Feel free to tell him I said that. ;)

message 37: by Pauline (new)

Pauline | 41 comments Alice Kaneswaran wrote: "OMG Pauline, I wanna see that so bad. I also wanna see Oz, but I'm gonna have to wait a while for that one. :/"

I wanna see Oz, too. It looks really cool. :D

message 38: by Tyler (new)

Tyler Dey | 66 comments Ewww, Les Miserables. You might as well go watch opera.

message 39: by Alyssa (new)

That kinda the point.

message 40: by Sydney (new)

Sydney (gleekgamer) | 37 comments Les Mis was so good. I'd like that to be our FHS musical next year. You know, if we HAVE one!

message 41: by Sydney (new)

Sydney (gleekgamer) | 37 comments Tyler wrote: "Ewww, Les Miserables. You might as well go watch opera."

Ever heard of The Phantom of The Opera? Opera within an opera, yet one of my favorite musicals.

message 42: by Alyssa (new)

I cried at the performance of that the high school last year...man, I'm such a crybaby. I think my heart just breaks whenever I see stuff that's sad. I cried at the end of Toy Story 3, Mulan, an episode of Touch...I'm so bad. :P

message 43: by Pauline (new)

Pauline | 41 comments I think there's something wrong with my emotions. >^< I cry at all the weirdest things.

message 44: by Alyssa (new)

If you cry when kittens die, that's not weird. That's heartbreaking!!! :(

message 45: by Sydney (new)

Sydney (gleekgamer) | 37 comments Wait, when did dying kittens come into this? :(

message 46: by Pauline (new)

Pauline | 41 comments No, like, I'm not talking about in movies. But even in movies, there might be stuff that I don't cry for that other people do. I'm talking life in general.

message 47: by Sydney (new)

Sydney (gleekgamer) | 37 comments Zareen wrote: "You know with the whole art thingy though, they aren't just talking about cutting classes like drawing. They want dance, band/orchestra, etc cut too. That is just the stupidest thing I've ever hear..."

I know. That's what I meant the "the arts." The fine arts. EVERYTHING arts. They're seriously considering cutting FMS orchestra and chorus all together.

message 48: by Pauline (new)

Pauline | 41 comments Why would they want to silence your bootiful voices?

message 49: by Sydney (new)

Sydney (gleekgamer) | 37 comments Pauline wrote: "Why would they want to silence your bootiful voices?"

I sound like a boot? xD

message 50: by Pauline (new)

Pauline | 41 comments If you did, it would be a very fancy boot.

« previous 1