Calculated in Death (In Death, #36) Calculated in Death discussion

Honest opinions ... ?

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth I am absolutely addicted to the "In Death" series, but I believe this one was probably my least favorite so far. It's the ONLY one I can think of where I've ever been kinda bored while reading it. Maybe all the math/business storyline wasn't up my alley, but the book felt slow and unimaginative. Dont' get me wrong, I own it and am glad I bought it, I would definitely give it 3-4 stars. I'm just interested in other people's honest opinions on this story.

Tiff I am also addicted to the In Death series and can't wait to read each one that comes out. I have to say I don't share your opinion though. I absolutely loved it, however, I seem to be far less critical about books than others I know - it takes a lot for me to say I don't like a book. Also, I am an Accountant, so it rings that perhaps I did enjoy the book because of the math and business :)

message 3: by Kat (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kat I agree with Tiffiane - it takes a lot for me to say I don't like a book, and I used to work in the banking field, so I'm used to math and numbers. And I'm addicted to the series (and Peabody's pink boots!) so it would take a really, really horrible book for me to say I disliked it. I also loved the fact that they finally had the movie premiere, even though we barely got to see it. I just can't wait for the next installment!! I'm actually re-reading the series book by book by book (reading other books in between, of course). So this one, while it might not be my favorite, is definitely not my least favorite, either.

Joanne I can't say anything bad about this series ... I love it too much!

It's the ONLY series that I have kept every single book for and I've reread it 3 times. :-D

I don't have an accounting or financial background but I didn't find that part of the story off-putting. It wasn't that difficult just different.

I'm putting the hard-cover copy up for sale on eBay this weekend (I only keep paperbacks due to storage limitations) so I'm reading it one more time before then.

Can't wait until the next one! :-D

Have a great day!

message 5: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Guess I'm defintely in the minority here! :-) Glad you all liked it so much. I'm also a series re-reader, so I know I'll get around to this one again. (I got into the series very late, so I'm only on my second go round.)

So far, my favorite books are "Portrait in Death", "Innocent in Death", and "NY to Dallas". What are your all's favorites?

Joanne "NY to Dallas" is my absolute favorite in the series so far.

"Midnight in Death" (a short-story) is my second because of the ghost (I'm a huge paranormal fan -- this is the only non-paranormal series that I read).

Have a great day!

Joanne

message 7: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth If you all haven't already, I recently joined the Group "J.D. Robb" here on GoodReads and I love it. If you're interested in joining, this is the link: http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/4...

Annette McIntyre I enjoyed this book, but have noticed with the last two or three she has done in this series, that there is less side banter with minor characters - such as Mavis and Leonardo, Peabody and McNabb, Sommerset, etc, and I am really missing this. It really made the series for me, the by-play and development of these other characters. Made it more real if you see what I mean.

Lissa There were a couple of books lately that kind of left me with a "Was that it?" feeling. Delusion and Calculated made me feel that Roarke and Eve were back with a true vengeance. I did get a little muddled with all the characters/suspects/theories, but I started to put bookmarks so I could re-check if needed. I too own them all (now my OCD is making me find the HCs because they would look amazing on a shelf!) and it's not as though I am complaining. All stories have been solid; I just felt that the character of Eve was off her game, and maybe that was the impression we were supposed to get following NY to Dallas.

message 10: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth I understand the OCD thing! :-) I'm actually going the opposite, trying to keep all mine in paperback since that's how I have 90% of the books. Of course, this kinda goes out the window with the new books only coming out in hardcover. Anyway, my point is, if you ever want to do some trading/swapping, I'll be happy to give the HCs I have in exchange for the same in paperback, if you have them. Let me know! :-)

Carrie P I suck at math & am bad with business but still loved to death "Calculated" :) FIVE stars *****

Shannon I'm a fan of Nora Roberts in general, and I've always loved her In Death books. I'm usually waiting for them to come out and buy them on the day they're released. That being said, I found this book a little disappointing. I still liked it, but I didn't love it. In fact, I've found the quality of her books has slowly been declining. I think she's trying to put out too many books, too fast. I think she's spread herself too thin and the quality of her books are suffering as a result.

Lissa Elizabeth- sounds like a plan! Message me and let's figure something out.
Shannon- I find myself agreeing, though for me, Delusion was a sign of things getting back to what we are used to.

Sheri Morell i loved calculated in death along with all the other books...and can't wait for the next book to come out...NYTD is my all time favorite but i haven't read a book in the series that ihaven't liked

Maggie I wasn't thrilled with this one, actually my least favorite of all the In Death books. My fav is Innocent in Death. I love how even though Eve knows Roarke loves her she is still afraid he will one day look at her and think he made a mistake.

message 16: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Innocent in Death is my favorite too! Followed by Portrait in Death as a close second... It's the emotional Eve/Roarke relationship moments that have me returning to the In Death books over and over again.

Deanna Rittinger I am looking to fill a few gaps in the series I am missing. Does anyone have a spare copy of Immortal, Rapture, Vengeance, or Conspiracy In Death?

message 18: by Vicki (new) - rated it 1 star

Vicki I agree with you Elizabeth. I felt this book was really boring. You were much kinder than me, though, as I only gave it a 1-star rating.

Sheri Morell Deanna, i have those books downloaded on my computer. i could email them to you if you want

message 20: by Judy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Judy Feenstra The first book I read was out of order but I was so impressed, I had to find ALL the books and read them in order. It took me longer to get thru this one because of the math thing and getting some of the characters mixed up. But I still loved it. Wish some of you who want h/c books lived near me because I have all mine ready for garage sale; I am slowly rebuilding my collection on e-books; I don't have anywhere else to put h/c books (lol)

Gabrielle I really liked this one