The Sword and Laser discussion

Peter F. Hamilton
This topic is about Peter F. Hamilton
Sword and Laser Video Show > Author Guide: Peter F. Hamilton - Sword & Laser ep. 32

Comments Showing 1-50 of 50 (50 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Veronica, Supreme Sword (new)

Veronica Belmont (veronicabelmont) | 1672 comments Mod
Can you tell Becca is busy today? There's no clever title for the show or description or anything. We have become wildly dependent on her. But hey, Peter F. Hamilton!

http://bit.ly/SwordandLaser32

message 2: by Rob, Roberator (new)

Rob (robzak) | 6756 comments Mod
I could have done it for you Veronica! ^_^

message 3: by Veronica, Supreme Sword (new)

Come up with a better title and I'll change it! ;)

message 4: by P. Aaron (new)

P. Aaron Potter (paaronpotter) | 585 comments "Cheesy Poofs," clearly.

message 5: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6196 comments Police procedure and snow? (Hamilton's latest Great North Road)

message 6: by Christopher (new)

Christopher Preiman | 347 comments Damn now i have more books to add to the read list. Do you people not see that it's already in the thousands?
Thanks this was a great show.

message 7: by Veronica, Supreme Sword (new)

How about "Police Procedure and Cheesy Poofs?"

message 8: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6196 comments Pandora's Star/Judas Unchained starts slow, but has one of the most impressive aliens I've ever read.

Did Tom call me 'she'?

message 9: by Veronica, Supreme Sword (new)

Tamahome wrote: "Pandora's Star/Judas Unchained starts slow, but has one of the most impressive aliens I've ever read.

Did Tom call me 'she'?"

HAHAHA. Sorry, that's not funny.

message 10: by Rob, Roberator (new)

Rob (robzak) | 6756 comments Mod
Tamahome wrote: "Did Tom call me 'she'?"

who knows what lurks behind that anime mask..though since this is the internet, it's usually safe to assume you're a dude.

Veronica wrote: "HAHAHA. Sorry, that's not funny."

It kind of is..

message 11: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6196 comments I like it.

message 12: by Veronica, Supreme Sword (new)

Jo wrote: "How about:

Author Guide: Peter Effing Hamilton"

Will he think that's funny or rude?

message 13: by Kris (new)

Kris (kvolk) Peter F Hamilton is freaking awesome...

message 14: by D. H. (new)

D. H. | 100 comments How about: "Google Glass, body-loss, and Peter F. Hamilton."

Doesn't that seem Becca-esque?

Thanks enjoyed the show.

message 15: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6196 comments Getting the poop on Morning Light Mountain with Peter F. Hamilton? (you'd have to have read Pandora's Star)

message 16: by Becca (new)

Becca (Becca_Canote) | 101 comments Woohoo! I'm finally indispensable to sometime/thing!

Look for the title to magically change to "Police Procedurals, Peter F. Hamilton, and...Cheesy Poofs?" sometime this weekend.

message 17: by P. Aaron (new)

P. Aaron Potter (paaronpotter) | 585 comments Or Tom's bon mot: "Sword & Laser: We're Not Dead Yet."

message 18: by David(LA,CA) (new)

David(LA,CA) (davidscharf) | 327 comments P. Aaron wrote: "Or Tom's bon mot: "Sword & Laser: We're Not Dead Yet.""

Only if next week's is "Sword & Laser: We're getting better!"

I'll get my coat.

message 19: by P. Aaron (new)

P. Aaron Potter (paaronpotter) | 585 comments Maybe the Granny Weatherwax version: "I ATEN'T DED"

message 20: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandikal) | 1212 comments This was the best episode yet.

Did it look like Mr. Hamilton was in his laundry room?

message 21: by Willeyeoney (new)

Willeyeoney | 20 comments Great interview, but, who is this Peter Heff Hamilton Veronica mentions @13:51???

:)

message 22: by Tamahome (last edited Mar 23, 2013 06:23AM) (new)

Tamahome | 6196 comments That worked out well. You didn't ask my question about how he decides the length of his novels, but he sort of covered that anyway.

For more Hamilton, here's a google hangout with Peter F. Hamilton, Alastair Reynolds, and Iain M. Banks, hosted by Google: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZnZnz...

message 23: by Ruth (tilltab) Ashworth (last edited Mar 24, 2013 03:47AM) (new)

Ruth (tilltab) Ashworth | 1861 comments Tamahome wrote: "Did Tom call me 'she'?"

description

message 24: by Jim (new)

Jim (OldJim) | 15 comments Tamahome wrote: "That worked out well. You didn't ask my question about how he decides the length of his novels, but he sort of covered that anyway.

For more Hamilton, here's a google hangout with Peter F. Hami..."

message 25: by Jim (new)

Jim (OldJim) | 15 comments wow! thank you, lovely conversation...wish S$L had the time for that kind of depth.

message 26: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6196 comments Ruth wrote: "Tamahome wrote: "Did Tom call me 'she'?"

"

Hey, I'm not Ranma 1/2. I don't turn into a woman when I get spashed with water.

Ruth (tilltab) Ashworth | 1861 comments How about a panda? Perhaps a cute pig?

message 28: by Tom, Supreme Laser (new)

Tom Merritt (tommerritt) | 1151 comments Mod
Oh dear lord, did I? So sorry. It was the mourning I tell you THE MOURNING!

Tamahome wrote: "Pandora's Star/Judas Unchained starts slow, but has one of the most impressive aliens I've ever read.

Did Tom call me 'she'?"

message 29: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6196 comments

message 30: by Tom, Supreme Laser (new)

Splash him SPLASH HIM!

message 31: by Steve (new)

Steve (plinth) | 179 comments FWIW, I've been tracking the episodes of Sword and Laser and posting links to all the books/authors that get mentioned in any particular episode. You can find this week's recap here (Police Procedurals! Peter F. Hamilton! And…Cheesy Poofs? – Sword & Laser ep. 32)

message 32: by Steve (new)

Steve (plinth) | 179 comments There's got to be a short story alone in the concept of rejuvenation wherein a wealthy or newly wealthy person decides to resolve every family conflict or argument by murdering the family member with whom they disagree and paying to have them brought back without the memory.

It's the ultimate passive-aggressive act.

message 33: by Joseph (new)

Joseph | 2256 comments Steve wrote: "There's got to be a short story alone in the concept of rejuvenation wherein a wealthy or newly wealthy person decides to resolve every family conflict or argument by murdering the family member wi..."

Not exactly the same, but I have vague memories of reading Cirque by Terry Carr, which has elements along those lines.

message 34: by Tamahome (last edited Mar 26, 2013 02:51PM) (new)

Tamahome | 6196 comments Peter F. Hamilton does have a recent short story collection: Manhattan in Reverse.

message 35: by Jim (new)

Jim (OldJim) | 15 comments Steve wrote: "There's got to be a short story alone in the concept of rejuvenation wherein a wealthy or newly wealthy person decides to resolve every family conflict or argument by murdering the family member wi..."

Brilliant!

message 36: by Dara (new)

Dara (cmdrdara) | 2693 comments Good show. I'm gonna miss the video shows!

1) Tom, I like your Portal shirt! Go do some science!
B) Veronica, cute sweater. You two are nicely dressed humans.
III) I wanted to read The Great North Road but was put off/daunted by its length. Maybe someday I will get to it.

message 37: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (deifio) | 95 comments Thanks for the great show. And thanks to the whiteboard video I am fearful of starting a Peter F. Hamilton book, because I don't have the space to build a new wing! ;-)

So the next episode will be the last one on youtube? That's so sad! And I can't seem to subscribe to the podcasts on iTunes. Maybe some sort of country barrier or something. Anyone else having that problem?
Well I guess I'll have to check the website more often then.

message 38: by Tom, Supreme Laser (new)

Fiona wrote: "I can't seem to subscribe to the podcasts on iTunes. Maybe some sort of country barrier or something...."

That's odd. When you say you can't do you mean you don't see it listed in iTunes, you see it listed bu the subscribe button fails or you've tried to subscribe manually and that failed?

message 39: by Travis (new)

Travis (the_hero_of_canton) | 55 comments I am really enjoying The Great North Road so far. It reminds me of the Det. Miller part of Leviathan Wakes.

message 40: by Buzz (new)

Buzz Park (buzzpark) | 345 comments I am lobbying for Great North Road to be the May book pic. :-)

message 41: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (deifio) | 95 comments Tom wrote: That's odd. When you say you can't do you mean you don't see it listed in i..."

I can see it on iTunes, but the subscribe button is deactivated. Really weird.

message 42: by Dara (new)

Dara (cmdrdara) | 2693 comments @Travis: Now that you said that, I want to read The Great North Road. The Miller parts were my favorite in Leviathan Wakes.

message 43: by Tom, Supreme Laser (new)

Fiona wrote: "Tom wrote: That's odd. When you say you can't do you mean you don't see it listed in i..."

I can see it on iTunes, but the subscribe button is deactivated. Really weird."

Very odd. You can try adding it manually. http://feeds.feedburner.com/TheSwordA...

message 44: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (deifio) | 95 comments Thanks, Tom! That worked, got the last 4 podcasts.
BTW where did you get that nice Aperture Laboratory shirt?

message 45: by Tom, Supreme Laser (new)

Fiona wrote: "Thanks, Tom! That worked, got the last 4 podcasts.
BTW where did you get that nice Aperture Laboratory shirt?"

Awesome. Thinkgeek.com is where I got the shirt.

message 46: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (deifio) | 95 comments Thanks again, Tom!

message 47: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (deifio) | 95 comments Oh and I found out what went wrong with my iTunes. The parental controls disabled podcasts, must have been a default setting. I'll put this up in the FAQ section as well.

message 48: by Tamahome (last edited Apr 03, 2013 03:09PM) (new)

Tamahome | 6196 comments @P. Aaron: "The end section on how to prepare for my books is fab, I didn't know they were doing that until I saw the interview."

http://www.peterfhamilton.co.uk/ (mar 30)

message 49: by P. Aaron (new)

P. Aaron Potter (paaronpotter) | 585 comments Tamahome wrote: "@P. Aaron: "The end section on how to prepare for my books is fab, I didn't know they were doing that until I saw the interview."

http://www.peterfhamilton.co.uk/ (mar 30)"

Oh hey! Keen! Thanks Tama!
Although following that link also brought me to the sad news re: Iain M. Banks...

message 50: by Nokomis.FL (last edited Apr 05, 2013 03:24PM) (new)

Nokomis.FL (nokomisfl) | 316 comments If you are a fan of Peter F. Hamilton, check out Mark Chitty's website, The Unisphere. (Fans of The Great North Road might recognize that name)