Terminalcoffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Feeling Nostalgic? The archives > Great books that were/should be translated

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ricky (new)

Ricky | 45 comments Our respective literary worlds are finite. Translators hold the keys to broaden the scope of our literary knowledge. Their work should not be undervalued, as it constitutes the gateway to wonderful fiction or prose. Translation, truly mastered, is an art form. We need just imagine the effort required to translate Shakespearean sonnets into French, Finnegan’s Wake into Spanish or a Thomas Pynchon novel into mandarin.

As more than a few TC members are well versed in other languages, they may have read literary gems in languages other than English. Many bestsellers or acclaimed fiction have been translated in recent years. Stieg Larsson’s Millennium series The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, Hiroki Murakami’s impressive body of work, Roberto Bolaño’s swan song 2666 or José Saramago’s Nobel-acclaimed life’s work.

What great books have been or should be translated into English and why?

message 2: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I am very glad that One Hundred Years of Solitude was translated into English, since it's one of my favorites. I've tried reading it in Spanish, but my Spanish isn't good enough to really appreciate it in its original version.

message 3: by Misha (new)

Misha (ninthwanderer) I'd like to see better translations of some of Marguerite Duras' earlier works.

message 4: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24149 comments Mod
I'm grateful for John Woods' translations of Thomas Mann, and of anything. They're excellent.

message 5: by Cheri (new)

Cheri | 795 comments I like the Anna Karenina translation by Constance Garnett best.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.