Indonesians Who Love English Books discussion

Cover Art Appreciation Thread

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Reza, The Curator (new)

Reza | 467 comments Mod
What cover art you love? from which edition of what book? which publisher?
Movie tie-in covers, yay or nay?
What about vintage? Modern classics? US/UK? Paperback? Hardcover?
Don't you love it when the spines of a completed book series lining up on your shelf, like a family portrait?

They say you shouldn't judge a book by its cover. In here, we do exactly that.

message 2: by Oon (new)

Oon (oonisme) | 132 comments Me first!

The Sisters Brothers by Patrick deWitt

The Sister Brothers by Patrick deWitt. Avant Garde Western, do I need to explain more? And great story too, an enjoyable read. It's true too, that I bought it because of its cover.

message 3: by shanghao (new)

shanghao (sanshow) | 126 comments I have a tendency of liking covers with a soft sketch paper texture or a matted embossed texture. Basically tactile books are interesting imo.

This is one such example, with a soft stitched spine and faux suede cover: The Tao of Travel Enlightenments from Lives on the Road by Paul Theroux

message 4: by Lynossa, Resident Connoisseur (last edited Mar 23, 2013 01:06AM) (new)

Lynossa | 485 comments Mod
I say nay for movie-tie-in. Those are hideous.
I tend to pick UK edition more than US but it's mostly because of the paper quality; UK's paper is thicker than US's. I don't really like cover with real people in it. I prefer abstract or painting or something that gives subtle hint about the story.
These are some of my favorite covers:
End of the World Blues by Jon Courtenay Grimwood A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness Unholy Night by Seth Grahame-Smith Equations of Life (Samuil Petrovitch, #1) by Simon Morden The Crowfield Curse (Crowfield Abbey, #1) by Pat Walsh

message 5: by Reza, The Curator (new)

Reza | 467 comments Mod
What do you guys think about this recent trend is cover design?

Or the random-objects-on-black-background a.k.a Twilight/Fifty Shades bandwagon?

message 6: by shanghao (last edited Mar 24, 2013 10:32AM) (new)

shanghao (sanshow) | 126 comments I initially thought Fifty Shades was a mystery book and picked it up thinking it was a mystery bestseller (thank God I didn't pay a penny). One of those instances where you shouldn't judge a book's cover >.<

@Reza: I don't really like covers which are filled up with huge texts unless it's relevant to the context and with neat typography or a handwritten feel if it's not typeset. For example, these are fine:

Ogilvy on Advertising by David Ogilvy It's Not How Good You Are, It's How Good You Want to Be The World's Best-selling Book by Paul Arden

But most of the time I like covers with lots of empty spaces and just a dash of colour, or monochrome ones. As I'd mentioned before texture usually catches my attention more often.

I really like this cover of Stefan Sagmeister's book: Made You Look by Stefan Sagmeister Probably can't really see it from here but it made me look and very nearly tempted me to buy it if not for the exorbitant price and the fact that I don't really need it.

I second Lynossa's opinion that I don't like real people on the cover unless their faces aren't the main focus or if they were, they'd got to be good looking :P I'm superficial like that.

message 7: by Coqueline (new)

Coqueline | 264 comments I love the Penguin Books iconic book covers:

Besides their traditional covers, the publisher makes the best looking covers ever. If I ever have the option to get my books from them, I usually do.

I got so excited when they released a set of postcards from all their vintage covers some time ago. I ended up framing several of them and put them on my wall.

message 8: by Reza, The Curator (last edited Mar 26, 2013 10:03AM) (new)

Reza | 467 comments Mod
Yes! Penguin Books have some of the loveliest, most clean-looking covers ever.
I even found this concept of Harry Potter, redesigned to look like classic Penguin Books.

__

Shut up and take my money!

message 9: by Lynossa, Resident Connoisseur (new)

Do you like this type of cover?
Electrico W by Hervé Le Tellier
I think this book is really eye-catching.

message 10: by Reza, The Curator (new)

Reza | 467 comments Mod
@Lynossa: Dang that's purtty. I love cobblestone road texture.
Oh, also the book we're curently reading:

(St. Martin's Griffin 2004)

message 11: by Oon (new)

Oon (oonisme) | 132 comments

Some book have different cover depend on country of publication. In this case, respectively, US version and UK version of Cloud Atlas. I love the UK cover for its psychedelic theme and its theme continuation for all Mitchell's book e.g.:

and

But, in this case, I love the US version of Cloud Atlas for its connection to the book's inner theme of atlas of clouds and six different stories and six different characters. We begin to wonder, which cloud match which story and which character...

message 12: by Ds (new)

Ds Goh | 67 comments sanshow wrote: "I initially thought Fifty Shades was a mystery book and picked it up thinking it was a mystery bestseller (thank God I didn't pay a penny). One of those instances where you shouldn't judge a book's..."

Oh dear. This made me snort my tea over the keyboard. Didn't you read the summary at the back of the book?

message 13: by Oon (new)

Oon (oonisme) | 132 comments Well, to update this thread once in a while, I'll share the news about the new Harry Potter cover for Book #1

and Book #2

apparently it's a little bit of old news, but just in case it's still news for some people here :p hehehe

The illustrator is Kazu Kibuishi

So what do you guys think? I personally prefer this version :D

message 14: by Lynossa, Resident Connoisseur (new)

nice ~

I like it better than the old one too, but I have a thing for the adult cover since the first time I saw it.

message 15: by Oon (new)

Oon (oonisme) | 132 comments And, just heard the news that the cover for The Prisoner from Azkaban is just released

Here it is:

My, do I want to upgrade the Harry Potter collection...

message 16: by Anny (new)

Anny | 225 comments I like this cover of State of Wonder by Ann Patchett very much.

I think it represent the greenness and wetness of the topic of the book (Amazon) so much better than this dry colored one State of Wonder by Ann Patchett

message 17: by Lynossa, Resident Connoisseur (new)

I just realized - after reading a post on tumblr - that Harry Potter series don't have motie-tie in cover (except the movie companion, ofc). I believe this is the only book/series that has no movie-tie in cover. Proof that the series is still much bigger than the movie.

message 18: by Jokoloyo (new)

Jokoloyo | 27 comments This is the book that I bought just because I like the cover: Foreigner (Foreigner, #1) by C.J. Cherryh and I found the story is so-so for me. LOL.
This one I bought, but haven't read it yet: Playing God by Sarah Zettel

And I love these two covers and like to read them just by seeing the cover: Aristoi by Walter Jon Williams and Implied Spaces by Walter Jon Williams :P They are gorgeous.

message 19: by Reza, The Curator (last edited Dec 30, 2014 05:51PM) (new)

Reza | 467 comments Mod
Got this in my email this morning:
http://www.bookdepository.com/best-bo...

Drool away, bookworms! ;)

message 20: by Anny (new)

Anny | 225 comments I actually liked this one very much: The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt

The ripped paper added a somewhat surreal 3D quality to it. Haven't read it yet though, the thickness somewhat daunting to me ...

message 21: by Karina (new)

Karina (krnt) | 9 comments @oon
wow, i really love those harry potter new covers! i bought them all even though i already have the old one. the cover is just so pretty! the illustrator - kazu kibuishi is so talented! :)))

personally, i like these covers. these are so pretty.
Ignite Me (Shatter Me, #3) by Tahereh Mafi The Ring and the Crown (The Ring and the Crown, #1) by Melissa de la Cruz The Strange and Beautiful Sorrows of Ava Lavender by Leslye Walton Everything Is Illuminated by Jonathan Safran Foer A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness The Art of Fielding by Chad Harbach

message 22: by Patricia (last edited Jan 08, 2015 07:16PM) (new)

Patricia (pattxoxo) | 91 comments Other than story in the book itself, book covers are equally important. It's the first thing that you see in a book store and sometimes you can't help to judge a book by its cover hehe.

For me, I like more simplistic covers. I tend to like covers with illustrations or typography. I don't really like covers with faces on them but if they're done right, it's very cool.

As for movie covers, I'm not really into them, although there are some good ones like the TFioS or the If I Stay cover. Those two books are probably my favorites movie tie-in covers ever.

I can list a lot of covers but these are some of my favorites:
The Fault in Our Stars by John Green Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell To All the Boys I've Loved Before (To All the Boys I've Loved Before, #1) by Jenny Han Since You've Been Gone by Morgan Matson Rooms by Lauren Oliver The Strange and Beautiful Sorrows of Ava Lavender by Leslye Walton The Beginning of Everything by Robyn Schneider Winger (Winger, #1) by Andrew Smith Isla and the Happily Ever After (Anna and the French Kiss, #3) by Stephanie Perkins

message 23: by Nenda (last edited Jan 11, 2015 05:25AM) (new)

Nenda | 31 comments My favorite will be
S. by J.J. Abrams

I bought this book just because it won't be able to get converted to Kindle. And the cover is lovely, it has old book feels like.

I also like all JD Salinger Books cover because it feels simple and seems they have common theme across the books with its simplicity.
The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger Nine Stories by J.D. Salinger
Franny and Zooey by J.D. Salinger Raise High the Roof Beam, Carpenters & Seymour An Introduction by J.D. Salinger Three Early Stories by J.D. Salinger

message 24: by Ayuningtyas (last edited Jan 19, 2015 10:47PM) (new)

Ayuningtyas (renayuningtyas) | 14 comments My favorite covers of all time The Alchemyst (The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel, #1) by Michael Scott The Magician (The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel, #2) by Michael Scott The Sorceress (The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel, #3) by Michael Scott The Necromancer (The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel, #4) by Michael Scott The Warlock (The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel, #5) by Michael Scott The Enchantress (The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel, #6) by Michael Scott Everything on the cover has something that explaining the story but you won't recognize them all until you finish reading it. You'll just keep guessing......