Indonesians Who Love English Books discussion

Specific Book / Author / Genre > The Wheel of Time Series

Comments Showing 1-42 of 42 (42 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rachel, First Lady (new)

Rachel (rachelhadeli) | 698 comments Mod
Reza and I noticed that we have many WoT fans here, so here you go guys, a thread just for it!

Please be considerate as some of us haven't finished the series, so spoilers still under a cut, okay?

As for me, I'm still in the middle of Towers of Midnight. So far so good.

And I don't think this is a spoiler, but isn't it obvious that Rand loves Min most of all? Haha.

message 2: by Jati, Chief Dragon Herder (new)

Jati Indrapramasto | 184 comments Mod
i seriously don't know how to not give spoilers since every detail of that series are burned in one continuous stream in my head. but i'll try my best :p

i think min is just the one he end up spending most time with. the other two are way to involved in their own battles to care. but i never really thought of rand much in the story. for years all i ever wanted was to be matrim cauthon. hahaha..

message 3: by Femmy (last edited Mar 22, 2013 07:23PM) (new)

Femmy | 301 comments What I love about long series like this is that the characters evolve so much from their original selves at the beginning of the series. Like Rand and his three girlfriends. I had gotten so used to him loving the three of them that I'd forgotten his relationship with Egwene. I'd come to think that they were just close friends. But when I reread The Eye of the World recently, I found that they were really in love and Min had to tell Rand that they were not meant for each other.

message 4: by Klaudiani (new)

Klaudiani (dian_k) | 5 comments I am reading the first book, yup, the one Mbak Femmy translated! :))
Just read the part where Min tells Rand about her sights. Got a feeling Rand wont be with Egwene, but three girlfriends?? He sure will be busy, hahaha

message 5: by Femmy (new)

Femmy | 301 comments Oh, gosh *blushing* I hope you like the translation. :)

message 6: by Klaudiani (new)

Klaudiani (dian_k) | 5 comments I actually having a hard time with the map, not the translation hahaha

You did it very well ;)

Wonder if I can see the map online ...

message 7: by Klaudiani (new)

Klaudiani (dian_k) | 5 comments I actually having a hard time with the map, not the translation hahaha

You did it very well ;)

Wonder if I can see the map online ...

message 8: by Femmy (new)

Femmy | 301 comments There are some maps here: http://wot.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Maps

I used this Wiki a lot during translation.

message 9: by R.D. (last edited Mar 22, 2013 10:45PM) (new)

R.D. Villam (villam) | 14 comments I'm reading Book 8 now, when Rand's character became hard and harder. In Illian. And there's no Min so far. Not yet. :-D

message 10: by Kama (new)

Kama (Okama) | 33 comments I was reading WoT long time ago, in Polish. After few books (dunno when I finished) I've decided that the story is getting too boring and/or too watery and I couldn't even finish the book.

The series is just too long for me. Good luck to anybody who is still reading that. Or "wow" for you getting that far.

message 11: by Klaudiani (new)

Klaudiani (dian_k) | 5 comments Femmy wrote: "There are some maps here: http://wot.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Maps

I used this Wiki a lot during translation."

Wow, woooww! Thanks so much!

I feel like betraying this thread for reading the translated edition, but I will read the original version sooner or later.

R.D. wrote: "I'm reading Book 8 now, when Rand's character became hard and harder."

What do you mean by 'hard'?
*glancing suspiciously*

Has he became stubborn or what?

Kama wrote: "I was reading WoT long time ago, in Polish. After few books (dunno when I finished) I've decided that the story is getting too boring and/or too watery and I couldn't even finish the book.

The ser..."

Only special people with special endurance who can finish this series xD

message 12: by Dewi (last edited Mar 23, 2013 11:05PM) (new)

Dewi Kirana (dewiputrikirana) | 37 comments Thanks so much Rachel for the special thread!

Klaudiani wrote: "What do you mean by 'hard'?
*glancing suspiciously*

Has he became stubborn or what? "

You have to read the book to know what Bang Vill meant ;)

Klaudiani wrote: "Only special people with special endurance who can finish this series xD "

If you fell in love with a series, you'll finish it no matter how many books there are :D

And for the Tower...

Definitely Blue Ajah for me hehehe :D

message 13: by R.D. (new)

R.D. Villam (villam) | 14 comments Friends, nanya dong.
Itu A Memory of Light emang baru ada versi hardcovernya ya? Soalnya yg saya liat di opentrolley cuman ada yg hardcover. Saya sih nyarinya yg paperback atau mass paperback aja. Kalo di periplus apa udah ada yg pernah liat?
Thx before. :-D

message 14: by Femmy (new)

Femmy | 301 comments Setahuku A Memory of Light baru keluar mass market paperback-nya 3 Oktober nanti.

message 15: by Dewi (new)

Dewi Kirana (dewiputrikirana) | 37 comments Bener kata mbak Femmy. AMoL kan baru keluar Januari kemarin, jadi versi mass market paperback nya masih lama keluar.

Kalo mau baca pinjem punyaku aja Bang

message 16: by Femmy (new)

Femmy | 301 comments The Indonesian edition of The Great Hunt has finally been published. Check it out here.

message 17: by R.D. (new)

R.D. Villam (villam) | 14 comments Dewi wrote: "Bener kata mbak Femmy. AMoL kan baru keluar Januari kemarin, jadi versi mass market paperback nya masih lama keluar.

Kalo mau baca pinjem punyaku aja Bang"

Boleh juga. Ntar aja ketemuan tgl 20 April pas kamu balik Bandung. :-D

message 18: by Rachel, First Lady (new)

I'm on the fence on whether I should buy the hardcover or wait for the paperback. The wait will be torture, I know, but all of my WoT books are in paperback. I'd hate to have an oddity in the pack. #nerdgirlproblems

Anyhow, almost finished Towers of Midnight now. So my mind was pretty blown by Aviendha's adventure in the Three-Fold-Land. Dun dun dunnnnn.

message 19: by Dewi (new)

Dewi Kirana (dewiputrikirana) | 37 comments @Rachel, I'm one of the people who don't care if their books are mismatched. For me the important thing is the story, not the packaging :)

But I do know (a lot of) people who's just like you :)

Good luck with the waiting then :D

As for Aviendha's adventure in Three-Fold Land, I must say it gave me the creeps when I read it. The things she saw surely were not very pleasant.

message 20: by R.D. (last edited Apr 01, 2013 03:47AM) (new)

R.D. Villam (villam) | 14 comments Cureently I'm reading Crossroads of Twilight.
So, this is the weakest book of the series, eh? :-D

message 21: by Namida (new)

Namida Puti (puti) | 95 comments Okay, tell me, does this wheel of time series really that good? You guys make me want to have and read it all :p

message 22: by Dewi (new)

Dewi Kirana (dewiputrikirana) | 37 comments @Namida, if you love solid worldbuilding, complex characters (even though there are hundreds of them) and does not mind a feminist tone of a story, then WoT is perfect for you :)

message 23: by R.D. (new)

R.D. Villam (villam) | 14 comments ... and if you dont mind with a very long and wide story. :-D

message 24: by Femmy (new)

Femmy | 301 comments I think the Wheel of Time is one of the greatest fantasy series out there and anyone who reads fantasy should at least give it a try. The world-building is amazing and you'll meet one of the coolest invented culture in fantasy, i.e. the Aiel.

message 25: by Namida (new)

Namida Puti (puti) | 95 comments Well, i guess i have to read the first book to know what the fuss is about then :D...thank you Dewi, R.D, and Femmy for your recommendation :-)

message 26: by Rachel, First Lady (new)

R.D. wrote: "Cureently I'm reading Crossroads of Twilight.
So, this is the weakest book of the series, eh? :-D"

Yes, yes, yes. And the one after that, Knife of Dreams isn't too hot either. I felt those 2 books were super rushed and everything fell flat. I remember feeling really excited to start them, but was tremendously disappointed when I was done.

However, that being said, I just finished Towers of Midnight and it was uhmazing. Going to take a break from WoT to let it sink in (the end is near!!), read a couple of other books first, and then get back into WoT for the final time. Starting to feel sad now.

message 28: by Femmy (new)

Femmy | 301 comments Yeah, I've been reading those articles. Great stuff.

message 30: by owleeya (new)

owleeya | 37 comments Seeing these comments makes me want to read this book, especially since I have my copy of the first book (a translated one--I might add, but it's so thick!).

message 31: by Rachel, First Lady (last edited Jun 18, 2014 01:50AM) (new)

Urm, I finished the series last month maybe? And I am in AWE.

I have so many feels for this series. WoT has been a part of my life for more than 10 years now and it has been one epic journey. What a journey. What a ride.

I will miss the Emond's Field gang.

EDIT: And though it's almost a year too late, thank you R.D. for those retrospective links. Just finished reading them and I am now in a good yet - funny sort of mood. Hard to explain. But it's good. Good good.

message 32: by Gerry (new)

Gerry | 52 comments I used to read this series back when i was in Uni, but never got the chance to finish it.
Went up to the fifth book iirc, then i came back to Indo and well books are hard to find here. But now with how easy it is getting books online i might try and finish this series, although... maybe i should re-read them all again since I pretty much forgot what happens with Rand and the gang lol.

message 33: by Rachel, First Lady (new)

You should finish it!

I think re-reading the first 5 books would be a great idea for you (or I guess you can just recap it by reading summaries on the internet, haha).

The paperbacks are readily available in Jakarta bookstores now, so if you're like me (a paperback junkie), it wont be so hard to find them anymore :)

message 34: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) There is a TV pilot episode already and it is quite controversial. http://www.theverge.com/2015/2/9/8008...

message 35: by Femmy (new)

Femmy | 301 comments Yeah, I heard about that. I hope someday the series will get a TV adaptation it deserves.

message 36: by Femmy (new)

Femmy | 301 comments I just watched the pilot. It's worlds apart from The Game of Thrones in terms of quality. *sad*

message 37: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) It's pretty horrendous, yes. But somehow it kinda piqued my interest in reading the series :))

message 38: by Wildan (new)

Wildan (wmhadjri) | 49 comments Hey, I didn't know about this thread. I read the whole series of Wheel of Time in a month plus a couple of days, give or take. It was the time when I fangirled over Brandon Sanderson so much that I felt the urge to read everything he has written, as soon as possible, including the three conclusive books of Wheel of Time.

The first couple of books were espescially hard, with all the infodumps and meandering plots. Then it got better after the half portion of the series. Oh and the last three books that Brandon Sanderson wrote? Epicness!

message 39: by Rachel, First Lady (new)

The whole series in a month?! You must have had a lot of time in your hands! Hahaha. The first time I started reading WoT was probably around 2005? And I know that it definitely took me months to finish the first 9-10 books that were available at the time.

What a feat! What a feat!

Which was your favourite book of the whole series?

I actually personally loved the first four-five books - the second half got a little bit hectic for me, but then Sanderson (through the guidance of Jordan, of course) made it all beautiful again.

message 40: by Wildan (last edited Apr 16, 2015 11:02PM) (new)

Wildan (wmhadjri) | 49 comments Rachel wrote: "The whole series in a month?! You must have had a lot of time in your hands! Hahaha. The first time I started reading WoT was probably around 2005? And I know that it definitely took me months to f..."

Yes! I read it when I was in semester break. But I gotta tell you, I wouldn't want to do it again..losing many hours of sleep almost every night..It was painful T.T but totally worth it :D

I love, love A Memory of Light the most. It's full of glorious deaths and powerful emotions and exceptionally beautiful prose.

Like this, for example:

The wind rose high and free, to soar in an open sky with no clouds. It passed over a broken landscape scattered with corpses not yet buried. A landscape covered, at the same time, with celebrations. It tickled the branches of trees that had finally begun to put forth buds.

The wind blew southward, through knotted forests, over shimmering plains and toward lands unexplored. This wind, it was not the ending. There are no endings, and never will be endings, to the turning of the Wheel of Time.

But it was an ending

I'm smiling from ear to ear as I type this :)

message 41: by Gerry (new)

Gerry | 52 comments Wow... lolz
But i kinda get it though, that feeling of not wanting to put the book down.
It can only happen during college years tho... nowadays i just can't do it anymore since there's work and stuff.

message 42: by Rachel, First Lady (new)

Idan wrote: "Rachel wrote: "The whole series in a month?! You must have had a lot of time in your hands! Hahaha. The first time I started reading WoT was probably around 2005? And I know that it definitely took..."

And I'm smiling while reading it! hahaha. Oh the good ol' days. I wonder what them kids are up to these days, haha #nostalgia