Goodreads Authors/Readers discussion

A Plague of Dreams (Dreamwood Tales #1)
This topic is about A Plague of Dreams
Author Resource Round Table > How to set up book signings, book club events?

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by John (new) - added it

John Hancock (johngregoryhancock) | 135 comments Ok, I'm a new self-published author.
I want to see if I can set up a book signing or even with a book club in SW ohio, around Dayton.
Seems easy, right?

well..... every book club I can find is for women readers or authors (which is cool, btw) and the book stores I've contacted will not accommodate self-published authors at all, even if I'm a LOCAL author.

My book is cross-genre short story book, and doesn't fit in well with the book clubs I've seen thus far.

It MIGHT BE that I can't use this method to sell books. And that's ok, if that's the deal.

I'm looking for advice, from anyone, author or reader, who has setup (the main sticking point) or participated in a book signing, book club type thing.

Anything at all will be helpful.

Or, if you also happen to be in my area and can hook me up, that's great, too, but MAINLY I'm wondering about this whole process in general.

Thanks in advance

message 2: by Jenelle (new)

Jenelle Barnes and Noble will let you do a book signing if you print through Lightning Source Ingram (just did a book signing in November myself - I wrote a bunch of blog posts around how we set this up and how it went if you're interested: http://jenelleschmidt.com/category/bl...)

I hear that libraries are another great place to have book signings... I haven't done this yet, but plan to in the near future (you have to get them to carry your book first.... but that usually just involves donating a couple of copies)

message 3: by John (new) - added it

John Hancock (johngregoryhancock) | 135 comments Jenelle wrote: "Barnes and Noble will let you do a book signing if you print through Lightning Source Ingram (just did a book signing in November myself - I wrote a bunch of blog posts around how we set this up an..."

that's great! Unfortunately, I am POD through createspace, so can't set up anything with Barnes and Noble I guess, at the moment.

message 4: by Peggy (new)

Peggy Holloway | 393 comments Jenelle wrote: "Barnes and Noble will let you do a book signing if you print through Lightning Source Ingram (just did a book signing in November myself - I wrote a bunch of blog posts around how we set this up an..."
I struck out at both Barnes and Noble and the local library.

message 5: by Sherri (new)

Sherri Hayes | 155 comments I've found that you have to think outside the box, although I still have difficulty finding locations to hold book signings. In the past, however, I've had book signings at a coffee shop, a locally owned grocery store, and a winery. You may also want to look into book fairs/events. Some of them do allow for self published authors.

message 6: by John (new) - added it

John Hancock (johngregoryhancock) | 135 comments Sherri wrote: "I've found that you have to think outside the box, although I still have difficulty finding locations to hold book signings. In the past, however, I've had book signings at a coffee shop, a locally..."

thanks! all of these suggestions help!

message 7: by Don (new)

Don Martinez (DesertCoyote13) | 57 comments Signings at bookstores aren't going to happen with POD's, because even if you're distributed widely (i.e. Ingram's), POD's don't accept returns, which is the dealbreaker for almost all bookstores.

At least the national ones. You might luck out with a smaller local store that buys on consignment.

Your better bet is probably going to a local library ... my authors have had a lot of luck with a smaller local library with an attached book club (Waskom, Texas), so if you have something similar in your area you might consider it. (Offering to donate your book to the library might also be a means to grease the wheels, too)

message 8: by Jenelle (new)

Jenelle John wrote: "Jenelle wrote: "Barnes and Noble will let you do a book signing if you print through Lightning Source Ingram (just did a book signing in November myself - I wrote a bunch of blog posts around how w..."

You can print through CS and Lightning Source at the same time... I did. The contracts you sign are both for "non-exclusive printing rights" - LSI costs a bit more, but isn't "break the bank" expensive."