Literary Fiction by People of Color discussion

Group Business > Author Chinua Achebe dies at 82

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Beverly (new)

Beverly | 2871 comments Mod
Chinua Achebe, the internationally celebrated Nigerian author, statesman and dissident who gave literary birth to modern Africa with Things Fall Apart and continued for decades to rewrite and reclaim the history of his native country, has died. He was 82.

Achebe died following a brief illness, said his agent, Andrew Wylie.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/bo...

message 2: by Bajen (new)

Bajen May his soul rest in perfect peace. A great African author, he was.

message 3: by Nina (new)

Nina Chachu | 13 comments Thanks Beverly for posting the link.

message 4: by Hock (new)

Hock Tjoa (hockgtjoa) Was listening to interviews and eulogies--perhaps he was (I think a rare exception) both a great writer and a great man.

message 5: by Wilhelmina (new)

Wilhelmina Jenkins | 2049 comments This is an author who, in my opinion, should have won a Nobel Prize. Few books change perceptions the way that Things Fall Apart did. If there is anyone who has not read it, I couldn't recommend it more highly.

message 6: by Phillip (new)

Phillip RIP

message 7: by Vicy (new)

Vicy Cross | 1 comments Ah, how sad. When I was still a bright-eyed high schooler, I remember being so inspired by his work. His book, Things Fall Apart, changed my life and reaffirmed my faith that black authors could do well! He is one of my favorite authors and I'm sad to see him go. A true talent. May he rest in peace.

message 8: by Maame (last edited May 19, 2013 10:09PM) (new)

Maame Grace | 1 comments And he gave us the phrase, "Things fall apart, the centre cannot hold, mere anarchy is loosed upon the earth." May his soul rest in in peace. may his works live on.

Literary Fiction by People of Color

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Things Fall Apart (other topics)