Traditional Fantasy discussion

Books for the bookshelves

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 2: by Karen (new)

Karen (escapeartist) | 19 comments Neverwhere and American Gods would be alternate real world. Stardust would be humorous, The Dreaming Tree and Forgotten Beasts of Eld would be mystical fantasy, Glimpses would be psychological and Gummitch and Friends would be pre-1969 and anthologies

message 3: by Karen (new)

Karen (escapeartist) | 19 comments Here are some more; Radiant Days-mystical fantasy. Prince of Thorns-Adventure. Waking the Moon-mystical fantasy. Riddle-Master: The Complete Trilogy-Adventure. It may be that some of you will question my shelf selection and that is fine with me. In my world, they are all ...just...fantasy. :-)

message 4: by Karen (last edited Mar 26, 2013 08:18AM) (new)

Karen (escapeartist) | 19 comments Hi Adam, Radiant Days uses a time slip to transport the poet Rimbaud to current times while at the same time, a graffiti artist is shipped back to Rimbauds time. Since no mechanisim is used for this and the transformations are viewed by the characters as magical, I am calling this a fantasy. Romance plays a very minor part. Please see the Kirkus review link. If you feel this does not belong, thats Ok with me. https://www.kirkusreviews.com/book-re.... Also all of mine are imaginary happenings in the real world except Riddle Master, Forgotten Beast and Dream Tree which are all imaginary worlds. I do disagree wth the Kirkus age rating as the portrait of Rimbaud is very well done, historically accurate and interesting to anyone who knows Rimbaud as a main influence to the musical lyrics of everyone from Bob Dylan to Patti Smith

message 5: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (eurolinguiste) | 22 comments Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time?

message 6: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (eurolinguiste) | 22 comments Quests/adventure? I'm not sure what the options are as I'm on my mobile.

message 7: by Shannon (last edited Apr 01, 2013 08:33AM) (new)

Shannon (eurolinguiste) | 22 comments Alright, looking at the list I would say "classic fantasy, quest fantasy, sword and sorcery, adventure"

message 8: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (eurolinguiste) | 22 comments Adam wrote: "Done. I've assumed it takes place in an imaginary world?"
Yes. Thanks.