Lost Generation discussion

New Members

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte | 84 comments I note with pleasure that we have a number of new LG'ers. I hope that whether you are an "old" or new member you will tell us of your particular interest in the Lost Generation.
Welcome!

message 2: by Lori (new)

Lori Walker | 2 comments I joined this group quite a while ago--when it was pretty quiet--for the reading list. I never introduced myself, so I will do so now. I'm Lori. I'm a grad student from Oklahoma. I love reading the works of the Lost Generation writers (especially Hemingway) and I love reading non-fiction works about the Lost Generation authors. I am really excited to find a group of people with a similar interest and I look forward to getting to share thoughts and reactions with you all.

message 3: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte | 84 comments Hi Lori! So great to hear about you. What is your major?
We have a diverse group of people in this group whose interests span much of the LG, so feel free to call upon us if you have any questions.
I posted a link for Hemingway on the updates board which you may enjoy.

message 4: by Lori (new)

Lori Walker | 2 comments I have an MA in History and am currently working on a Master's in Library and Information Science (or Studies--I always forget which one).
I definitely plan to go back through the old posts to see what I can see.
Thank you for the warm welcome.

message 5: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte | 84 comments Wow! March brought us 16 new members. How wonderful to have you all in the loop. I know I am very interested in hearing about how you became interested in The Lost Generation, what book you have read/are reading, etc. Fill us all in, please!

message 6: by dew (new)

dew Charlotte: What a wonderful job you have done breathing new life into this group! Thanks from all of us.

message 7: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte | 84 comments dew: Such kind words. I appreciate them. Our new members have a broad range of interests, judging from their books. I do hope they will share with us. Cheers!

message 8: by Glenn (new)

Glenn Jonassen | 1 comments Charlotte: Thank you for the warm welcome to this group! Much appreciated!

Short introduction of me: I'm a MSc in Economics and BA, and work with consulting in Oslo, Norway. I joined this group because I have great interest in the beginning of the 20th century in general - literature, art, etc - but also experience a growing interest in LG in particular after reading some of their classics, including A Moveable Feast while studying in Paris.

Looking forward to learning and sharing.

message 9: by Anthony (new)

Anthony Lacaria | 4 comments Hello everyone!

Well, I am an English major and aspiring novelist trying to survive. I enjoy reading both Hemingway and Fitzgerald. Favorite Hemingway novel; "the Sun Also Rises", my favorite Fitzgerald would certainly be "This Side of Paradise" (of course I enjoyed Gatsby...very much!). In my opinion, this "era" of American literature was phenomenal, producing some of the most memorable stories I have ever read.

message 10: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte | 84 comments Great to hear about you & your interests, Anthony.
Your comment on the memorable works produced by the LG'ers made me think we should have a discussion of why this was so. It truly was an incredibly prolific era.

message 11: by Jane (new)

Jane | 3 comments Like Anthony, I too am an aspiring writer. I write short stories, I am trudging along on a novel (no one told me it was gonna be this hard :P), and am likely to be a paid screenwriter in the very near future! I am fascinated by 1920s Paris and how the Lost Generation's lives seemed to be full of fun and parties, yet on the inside they were all beyond miserable. It seems like writing gave them some sort of joy and focus in life before they all either tragically went insane or killed themselves. I love that LG literature really showcases multidimensional and conflicted characters, which presumably were a reflection of the writers.

message 12: by Remy (new)

Remy Smith | 5 comments I'm a senior in high school, next year I will be attending Northwestern - majoring in economics and either polisci or math (Go 'Cats!). I joined this group because I love the works of Hemingway and Fitzgerald and I was looking for an avenue to discuss my thoughts on how their culture relates to ours today and also as a means by which I could learn of other LG authors.

message 13: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Gardner | 5 comments I'm an American currently living in southern Spain. I left corporate America for a new life with my British husband. I've gotten quite lucky and am able to, if not exactly support myself, at least supply us with play money by writing and painting. I like to tell people that I'm living the dream.

"The Sun Also Rises" and "The Air-Conditioned Nightmare" are my favorite books and an inspiration for this life that i have found myself living, so when I saw this group, I had to join. Thank you for the welcome!

message 14: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte | 84 comments Thanks for this, Amanda. Never heard of "The Air-Conditioned Nightmare" & now it's on my list to read. Sounds like a winner.
Your life does sound a dream.

message 15: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Gardner | 5 comments The Air-Conditioned Nightmare was my introduction to Henry Miller. It's fabulous!

message 16: by Lauri (new)

Lauri | 1 comments Hi! I'm new. I've been obsessed with Paris since I was little. Was a French major waaaay back in the day. Honeymooned in Paris in 2008. Got into 1920s Paris (and the ex-pats) after I read "The Paris Wife" last year and watched Woody's Allen's "Midnight in Paris". Getting ready to dive into "The Crazy Years" by William Wiser. Excited to read more Hemingway and the new Zelda book that's out. Thanks for the warm welcome!

message 17: by John (new)

John Kiley (dashpound) | 1 comments Hey I'm thrilled to see that this page exists.
I'm looking forward to picking through the reading list this summer.

Hemingway is my favorite author ever. My friend just found me the 1961 tribute to Hemingway from Life Magazine.

My two favorite books are This Side of Paradise and The Sun Also Rises. My favorite Movie is Midnight in Paris and Hemingway and Gellhorn. I'm a big Ezra Pound fan. I haven't worked through any James Joyce yet which is on my list for sure.

Its awesome to see so many people that have the same tastes.

message 18: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte | 84 comments And we're thrilled to have you be a part of it, John. Our members run the gamut from mildly interested to famous authors & scholars. Feel free to ask them any ??? about the LG.

message 19: by Annette (new)

Annette (adwritea) | 1 comments Hello! I'm a newbie too. I actually became reintroduced to the LG writers when I read The Paris Wife. It was such a lovely description of the time period and of Hemingway and Hadley that I couldn't stop thinking about those two. This led me to my shelves where my Hemingway: A Biography by Jeffrey Meyers which I purchased at the Hemingway House in Key West decades ago but had yet to read. I took advantage of Barnes and Noble's buy two get one free of their classics and picked up Fitzgerald's The Beautiful and the Damned as well as This Side of Paradise, which I'm just starting. I have read some other works of the time but am just getting into it all. I'm having too much fun!!

message 20: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte | 84 comments Welcome Garance (Bienvenue!!), How wonderful to have you in our group. I know many of us have had the pleasure of visiting the scene of the "Lost Generation", but aren't you lucky to live there. I am envious, that's for sure.
How generous of you to offer to help with pictures, etc. That's very kind of you.
My suggestion to you as a new member would be to read past posts on our site & to contact members who are of interest to you.
Please contact me if you have any questions.

message 21: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte | 84 comments Wow! Our membership is growing fast. How wonderful. Since we have over 20 new members, I will give a group welcome to you, who come from all over the globe, including Brazil, Turkey, Sweden, Mexico, UK & US. As always, I encourage you to check each other's posts & bios where you may find shared interests. Please contact anyone or all!
As moderator, I also want you to share any photos relevant to the LG, or just post a link. If you'd share links to articles you find that would be great, too. Welcome, Bienvenue, Boas-vindas, Karsilama, Välkommen,Bienvenida!

message 22: by Brett (new)

Brett Macfarlane | 1 comments Hi, I'm new to the group and thought it appropriate to introduce myself.

I'm Canadian by birth, British by lineage, college in the USA where I studied French literature and economics, until somewhat recently lived in Paris for my work in advertising and currently am living in London.

I'm interested in the Lost Generation for what a cohort achieved in creating a style of writing and in particular Hemingway, of course for his writing but also the crafting of his identity evolving from a journalist to a novelist.

message 23: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte | 84 comments Hi Brett, what an interesting facet of the LG you have presented. I wonder if any of our members have any input. I'm sending this in an "all" letter format to everyone, so I trust you will have some responses.