Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Questions > Authors with titles - females using marital titles and names

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Emy (new)

Emy (emypt) | 5029 comments http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/... seems to be the main profile for this author, but there are a number of imports with the form on the cover. Is it acceptable in this case to use her title, as the J.H. refers to her husband, not herself? She also has two pseudonyms which aren't a problem as they have their own profiles.

To explain more clearly:

Joseph H. Riddell married Charlotte Elizabeth Lawson Cowan in the 19thC. Charlotte then published books under her married name, mostly as Mrs. J.H. Riddell. Her personal name post-marriage was Charlotte Elizabeth Lawson Cowan Riddell, but this isn't on the relevant title pages/covers that I can tell, so isn't appropriate.

Currently we have a number of profiles for her, but only the one linked at the top has biographical details.
Mrs. J.H. Riddell
Mrs. Riddell
Mrs. Joseph H. Riddell

Plus misspellings and misdottings.

Secondly:
If the title is acceptable use in this case, Mrs or Mrs.?

message 2: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 41973 comments Mod
A fair number of the covers list the author as J.H. Riddell, with no prefix. So I'd leave the profile as the same.

In cases where an author only published under "Mrs. John Smith", it is necssary to list them that way. And it would be "Mrs."

message 3: by Emy (new)

Emy (emypt) | 5029 comments OK - two profiles then? One Mrs. and one without?

Guessing some publishers didn't check what her actual name was before printing ;)

message 4: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

No. I'd make them all no-prefix.

message 5: by Emy (new)

Emy (emypt) | 5029 comments rivka wrote: "No. I'd make them all no-prefix."

OK. Merging the others then.

message 6: by Emy (new)

Emy (emypt) | 5029 comments http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/...

Keep, merge with the J.H. profile or treat like her pseudonyms? The books are all republications under that name.

message 7: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Keep. Treat as a pseudonym if that enables combining editions.

message 8: by Emy (new)

Emy (emypt) | 5029 comments OK