The BURIED Book Club discussion

Jens Bjørneboe
This topic is about Jens Bjørneboe
unBURIED Authors A-D > Jens Bjørneboe

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jim (last edited Mar 22, 2013 12:22AM) (new)

Jim A friend recently recommended a book by Jens Bjørneboe.

Moment of Freedom: The Heiligenberg Manuscript is the first part of a trilogy which includes Powderhouse: Scientific PostScript and Last Protocol and The Silence. The trilogy is probably a good starting point.

Bibliography from his wikipedia page

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jens_Bj%...

Novels

Ere the Cock Crows (Før hanen galer, 1952)
Jonas (1955)
Under a Harsher Sky (Under en hårdere himmel, 1957)
Winter in Bellapalma (Vinter i Bellapalma, 1958)
Little Boy Blue (Blåmann, 1959)
The Evil Shepherd (Den onde hyrde, 1960)
The Dream and the Wheel (Drømmen og hjulet, 1964), about author Ragnhild Jølsen
Moment of Freedom (Frihetens øyeblikk, 1966) (translated by Esther Greenleaf Mürer, Norvik Press / Dufour, 1999)
Without a Stitch (Uten en tråd, 1966)
Powderhouse (Kruttårnet, 1969) (translated by Esther Greenleaf Mürer, Norvik Press / Dufour, 2000)
Duke Hans (Hertug Hans, 1972)
The Silence (Stillheten, 1973) (translated by Esther Greenleaf Mürer, Norvik Press / Dufour, 2000)
The Sharks (Haiene, 1974) (translated by Esther Greenleaf Mürer, Norvik Press / Dufour, 1992)

Plays

Many Happy Returns (Til lykke med dagen, 1965)
The Bird Lovers (Fugleelskerne, 1966) (translated by Frederick Wasser, Sun&Moon Press, 1994)
Semmelweis (1968) (translated by Joe Martin, Sun&Moon Press, 1999)
Amputation (Amputasjon, 1970). Reprinted as: Amputations: Texts for an Extraordinary Spectacle (translated by Solrun Hoaas & Esther Greenleaf Mürer, Xenos Books, 2002)
The Torgersen Case (Tilfellet Torgersen, 1972)
Blue Jeans (Dongery, 1976)

Poem collections

Poems (Dikt, 1951)
Ariadne (1953)
The Great City (Den store by, 1958)
Happy Birthday (Til lykke med dagen, 1965)

Essay collections

Norway, my Norway (Norge, mitt Norge, 1968)
We Who Loved America (Vi som elsket Amerika, 1970)
Police and Anarchy (Politi og anarki, 1972)

message 2: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan (nathandjoe) | 138 comments His writing has been compared to Kafka and Bernhard. Very dark, with a bitter black humor.

Complete Review gave an A- to Moment of Freedom http://www.complete-review.com/review...

though in my opinion it deserved an A....

message 3: by Jonathan (last edited May 06, 2013 02:48AM) (new)

Jonathan (nathandjoe) | 138 comments My reviews of Without a Stitch amd The Least of These are up, both are very much worth being UNburied. Plan to complete the trilogy when I get back to the UK next month. So far have not managed to convince anyone to read him so must try harder!

message 4: by Bill (new)

Bill | 7 comments actually i read Moment of Freedom: The Heiligenberg Manuscript and enjoyed it, so will try and find his other books in english.

message 5: by Nathan "N.R." (new)

Nathan "N.R." Gaddis (nathannrgaddis) | 985 comments I had to do a double-take as to why Bjørneboe is BURIED ; but, yeah, lots of ratings, few reviews, and not many English-language readers, one must suppose. Nevertheless....

Jonathan has provided a link for us :: "Jens Bjørneboe in English: Online Archive" ;; http://web.archive.org/web/2005040321...

message 6: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan (nathandjoe) | 138 comments BURIED as: (1) Very very few English language readers - almost all of his reviews are for non-english editions; (2) Almost all of his books which have been translated (which is very few of them) are out of print; (3) there is almost nothing critical or review-y on him in English; and (4) he is a genius who wrote brave, gutsy Novels in the tradition we like here at the BBC. Oh and note please that the Online Archive only exists as an Archived webpage - the actual site is no longer there...

Oh and NR, if you get the chance to read Moment of Freedom, I do think you will like it.

message 7: by Nathan "N.R." (new)

Nathan "N.R." Gaddis (nathannrgaddis) | 985 comments Jonathan wrote: "BURIED as: (1) Very very few English language readers - almost all of his reviews are for non-english editions; (2) Almost all of his books which have been translated (which is very few of them) are out of print; (3) there is almost nothing critical or review-y on him in English; and (4) he is a genius who wrote brave, gutsy Novels in the tradition we like here at the BBC. Oh and note please that the Online Archive only exists as an Archived webpage - the actual site is no longer there..."

Excellent. Given that our BURIED-criteria are so damn slippery, it is of utmost importantance to remind ourselves how they work and get them occasionally articulated. The GR-rating criteria is the most arbitrary of all criteria, but it's a place to start.

That, and you Spade-Wielders have been so prolific this year, it becomes very difficult to keep everything straight in my head ;; thus our ARChive!

message 8: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan (nathandjoe) | 138 comments Oh and (5) he is dead; (6) by suicide....spade work is much more necessary when both book and author are under earth

message 9: by Zadignose (new)

Zadignose | 153 comments Note to all current and future writers (and all people, while we're at it): Please don't kill yourselves. This disturbing trend must be stopped.

message 10: by Jimmy (new)

Jimmy (jimmylorunning) | 93 comments I just reviewed Moment of Freedom here: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 11: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan (nathandjoe) | 138 comments The UNBurying continues:

reviews of his masterpiece by Lynne here:

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

And M Sarki here:
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Both of who, quite correctly, give it a full five stars and a good detailed rave.

Nothing makes me happier.

message 12: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan (nathandjoe) | 138 comments My reviews of the rest of his work and of The Sharks are up. More and more Spaders are stepping up and UnBurying, which makes me very glad - not least because all have given 5 star reviews. So, to the rest of you BBC peeps, get on this fella right quick, ya dig?