Comic books/Graphic novels/Manga Reading Challenges discussion

General Discussions > Your latest buy?

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lu, Rarity Fan (new)

Lu | 360 comments Mod
Tell us about your latest buy here. You can even post pictures if you want to :)

message 2: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (kelstretch) I just got this one:

Arago, Volume 1 by Takahiro Arai

Hoping its good, as its a shorter one and I can use it to break up my 50 volume long series into more manageable parts, as I tend to get bored.

message 3: by Lu, Rarity Fan (new)

Lu | 360 comments Mod
I went to outer limits yesterday (a comics store here in South Africa) and got:

Angel After the Fall Premiere Edition by Brian Lynch

I didn't have much time, but I plan on going back soon and grabbing some more :)

message 4: by Kristen (new)

Kristen My library was selling a bunch of discarded manga for a quarter, so I bought Nana, Vol. 1 (Nana, #1) by Ai Yazawa , Red River, Vol. 1 (Red River, #1) by Chie Shinohara , and Red River, Vol. 2 (Red River, #2) by Chie Shinohara .

message 5: by Jamie (new)

Jamie (juvia_winter) I just bought Bleach, Volume 1: Strawberry and the Soul Reapers and One Piece, Volume 01: Romance Dawn. I have heard good things about them. If I like them I am going to try and finish the whole series.

message 6: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (kelstretch) ♥Jamie♥ wrote: "I just bought Bleach, Volume 1: Strawberry and the Soul Reapers and One Piece, Volume 01: Romance Dawn. I have heard good things about them. If I like them I am going to try and finish the whole se..."

I've watched bleach but haven't had the chance to read it!

Its pretty awesome as anime

message 7: by Lexie (new)

Lexie (poisonedrationality) technically it was Until Death Do Us Part 3...but it hasn't arrived yet so I guess Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 8, Volume 4 (since that has arrived).

message 8: by Lu, Rarity Fan (new)

Lu | 360 comments Mod
I'm trying to finish all the buffy's so I can get to the season 8 comics! On season 5 now :)

message 9: by Lexie (new)

Lexie (poisonedrationality) Lu (Sugar & Snark) wrote: "I'm trying to finish all the buffy's so I can get to the season 8 comics! On season 5 now :)"

Ah Season 5--great season! Season 6-7 were both GOOD seasons, but I think seasons 3 & 5 were the best.

message 10: by Lu, Rarity Fan (new)

Lu | 360 comments Mod
I agree, so far season 3 was awesome. Can't wait to get into season 5 properly :D

message 11: by Lexie (new)

Lexie (poisonedrationality) When you're done (with the series), there's a couple of re-watch archives that have some really great behind the scenes info and trivia and discussion type stuff I can link you. One doesn't spoil for forthcoming episodes, but the other two do tho and one even makes mention of how things relate to things in the comics.

message 12: by Lu, Rarity Fan (new)

Lu | 360 comments Mod
Oooh awesome! I will definitely let you know when I'm done :)

message 13: by 'kris (new)

'kris Pung Last buy was Punk Rock Jesus and it was a great book.

message 14: by Lexie (new)

Lexie (poisonedrationality) Worlds' Finest, Vol. 1: The Lost Daughters of Earth 2 - this was an impulse buy when I went looking for a different book at the comic shoppe. Enjoying it!

message 15: by Lu, Rarity Fan (new)

Lu | 360 comments Mod
Impulse buys are fun :)

message 16: by Lexie (new)

Lexie (poisonedrationality) So very true!

message 17: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (kelstretch) Just waiting for this to download

Batman The Dark Knight, Vol. 1 Knight Terrors by David Finch

message 18: by Lu, Rarity Fan (new)

Lu | 360 comments Mod
Ooooh enjoy!

message 19: by Patrick (new)

Patrick Williams (twindad) | 1 comments Hello all, joined this group a few weeks back and have not had a chance to post anything yet. One of my recent purchases was Mystique, the Ultimate Collection by Brian K Vaughn. This was one of those books that came out during my 15 year comic hiatus. Enjoyable to watch Mystique operate as a cat's paw for Professor X. Not the same sort of 'Wow' that you get from reading other BKV books (Saga in particular) but a worth while read if you are a fan of the X-Men.
Mystique: Ultimate Collection

message 20: by Sam (new)

Sam (samvallen) Patrick wrote: "Hello all, joined this group a few weeks back and have not had a chance to post anything yet. One of my recent purchases was Mystique, the Ultimate Collection by Brian K Vaughn. This was one of t..."
I had no idea this series existed! I'm a bit of a Brian K Vaughan fanboy.
That actually brings me to my last purchase. I'm re-reading all of Y: The Last Man for another reading group, and am finally picking up all the HC Deluxe editions. Just finished Y: The Last Man - The Deluxe Edition Book One. Picking up the 2nd volume today.

message 21: by Sam (new)

Sam (samvallen) 'kris wrote: "Last buy was Punk Rock Jesus and it was a great book."
I've been meaning to pick that up for a while. Is it a must-read?

message 22: by Meneniareads (last edited Jan 23, 2014 02:01PM) (new)

Meneniareads (nenia) | 27 comments Sale! <3 I have no idea if any of these are any good, but they were cheap!

Wonderland by Tommy Kovac Token by Alisa Kwitney Things Undone by Shane White

message 23: by Lu, Rarity Fan (new)

Lu | 360 comments Mod
There are so many specials for ecopies on comixology that I am constantly tempted. I'm trying to finish off the comics I currently have tho :)

message 24: by [deleted user] (last edited Jan 24, 2014 11:18AM) (new)

My latest I have is

Tail of the Moon, Volume 1  by Rinko Ueda

And

Stepping on Roses, Vol. 1 by Rinko Ueda

message 25: by Meneniareads (new)

Meneniareads (nenia) | 27 comments This week I've bought all these lovelies:
Girl Genius, Vol. 2 Agatha Heterodyne and the Airship City (Girl Genius #2) by Phil Foglio Locke & Key, Vol. 6 Alpha & Omega by Joe Hill Fables, Vol. 21 Happily Ever After by Bill Willingham The Walking Dead, Vol. 23 Whispers Into Screams by Robert Kirkman
I'm broke...

message 26: by Mike, The Moderator in the Darkness (last edited May 04, 2015 05:32PM) (new)

Mike | 257 comments Mod
Nenia wrote: "This week I've bought all these lovelies:... "

Nice batch. I haven't read any of those titles except some of Fables, but I've heard very good things about them all.

My latest pick-ups:
The Spectre, Volume 1 Crimes and Punishments by John Ostrander Rosario + Vampire Season II, Vol. 14 by Akihisa Ikeda Batman Dark Knight, Dark City by Peter Milligan 7 Billion Needles, Volume 1 by Nobuaki Tadano

message 27: by Lexxi Kitty (new)

Lexxi Kitty (lexxikitty) Most recent purchases: Angel & Faith Lost and Found, Part 3 (Season 10, #8) by Victor Gischler and Angel & Faith United, Part 4 (Season 10, #14) by Victor Gischler . Already had issues 1-7, 9-13.

Most recent graphic novels/manga bought were (all on May 1):
All You Need is Kill (manga) 2-in-1 Edition by Hiroshi Sakurazaka , Batwing, Vol. 3 Enemy of the State by Judd Winick , Batwing, Vol. 4 Welcome to the Family by Jimmy Palmiotti , Batwing, Vol. 5 Into the Dark by Jimmy Palmiotti , Fables, Vol. 21 Happily Ever After by Bill Willingham , Sunstone Volume 2 by Stjepan Šejić , Wonder Woman Odyssey, Vol. 1 by J. Michael Straczynski , Wonder Woman Odyssey, Vol. 2 by J. Michael Straczynski , Worlds' Finest, Vol. 4 First Contact by Paul Levitz

message 28: by Meneniareads (new)

Meneniareads (nenia) | 27 comments Bought these a while back, since I couldn't wait for my library to have 'em:
Saga, Vol. 3 by Brian K. Vaughan Saga, Volume 4 by Brian K. Vaughan Outcast Volume 1 A Darkness Surrounds Him by Robert Kirkman

message 29: by Mike, The Moderator in the Darkness (new)

Mike | 257 comments Mod
Lexxi Kitty wrote: "Most recent purchases: "

How is the All you Need is Kill manga? Heard very good things about it and the light novel but haven't read either.

Nenia wrote: "Bought these a while back, since I couldn't wait for my library to have 'em:"

Saga is so insanely good. Been buying all the collections as they come out.

---
No new comic purchases for me this month. Catching up on the backlog and bought a bunch of prose. A lot of my manga series are due for new volumes though so that'll change soon.

message 30: by Lexxi Kitty (new)

Lexxi Kitty (lexxikitty) Mike wrote: "Lexxi Kitty wrote: "Most recent purchases: "

How is the All you Need is Kill manga? Heard very good things about it and the light novel but haven't read either.

Nenia wrote: "Bought these a while..."

I've both read the manga and light novel, but not the adaptation of the movie graphic novel. I liked the two I read. Quite interesting. And that's after not exactly liking the Tom Cruise film.

One problem with seeing the film before reading the manga, though, was seeing how insanely young the woman looked in the manga.

message 31: by Meneniareads (new)

Meneniareads (nenia) | 27 comments Bought these two today:
Rachel Rising Vol. 5 Night Cometh by Terry Moore and Edward Scissorhands Volume 1 Parts Unknown (Edward Scissorhands, #1) by Kate Leth

I have no idea if Edward Scissorhands Volume 1: Parts Unknown is any good, but it looked so cute I just had to! :D

message 32: by Meneniareads (new)

Meneniareads (nenia) | 27 comments Awesome buys today:
Chew, Vol. 10 Blood Puddin' by John Layman The Walking Dead, Vol. 24 Life and Death by Robert Kirkman and Fairest Vol. 5 The Clamour for Glamour by Mark Buckingham

message 33: by Lexxi Kitty (new)