The Perks Of Being A Book Addict discussion

Favourite quotes?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 74 (74 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jini (new)

Jini Maxin | 2 comments Who, exactly gives us the right to kill. If, killing is wrong, why are we allowed to kill. Donte's killing was similar to killing an old dog, a lame horse, or a laboratory rat. - The Confession by John Grisham

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx

message 3: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (originally_elle) | 250 comments "nobody knows better then i that the gods exist. whether i believe them worthy of adoration is an entirely different matter."

Brakandaran te Carn
Medalon by Jennifer Fallon

message 4: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Hargraves | 94 comments The only difference between saints and sinners is that every saint has a past and every sinner a future by Oscar Wilde

message 5: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 4667 comments “You're alive only once, as far as we know, and what could be worse than getting to the end of your life and realizing you hadn't lived it?”
― Edward Albee

Ziva (ZzZiva Reads) If you dreams don't scare yoou, they aren't big enough.

message 7: by Mark (new)

Mark | 15 comments So live your life that you may look any man in the eye and tell him to go to Hell.

-Anon

message 8: by Elisabeth (new)

Elisabeth  (elisabethsm) "No man chooses evil because it is evil. He only mistakes it for happiness, the good he seeks."
- Mary Wollstonecraft

message 9: by Willett (new)

Willett Thomas | 22 comments “spare the rod, and see what mess it gets you.”

Bubbah

Raised by Hand, Lifted by the Tides
by Willett Thomas

message 10: by Livy (new)

Livy | 13 comments "We don't actually fear death, we fear that no one will notice our absence, that we will disappear without a trace."

T.S. Eliot

message 11: by Deborah (new)

Deborah | 42 comments "We are fed, not that we may be fed, but that we may work."
--Ralph Waldo Emerson

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Pain + Sorrow = Thorns wrote: ""Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx"

now you're talkin

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Jini wrote: "Who, exactly gives us the right to kill. If, killing is wrong, why are we allowed to kill. Donte's killing was similar to killing an old dog, a lame horse, or a laboratory rat. - The Confession by ..."

think that is potent =)

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

'I told you I was ill' - Spike Milligan's grave

message 15: by Isa (new)

Isa | 6 comments "There are only two reasons why you leave someone you're still in love with-either it's the right thing to do, or it's the only thing to do."
The Siren, Tiffany Reisz

message 16: by Marly (new)

Marly St.cyr "My thoughts are stars I cannot fathom into constellations"

John Green

message 17: by Mary (new)

Mary | 15 comments "The more I know about people, the better I like my dog." -- Mark Twain

message 18: by Sydney (new)

Sydney Mugerwa (corrosivemind) Mary wrote: ""The more I know about people, the better I like my dog." -- Mark Twain"

This is so funny! lol

message 19: by Emily (new)

Emily (emkathh) “Dumbledore says people find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right.”
― J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

message 20: by Em Lost In Books (new)

Em Lost In Books (emlostinbooks) Read it yesterday "

"Better off alone and marginally happy than coupled and positively miserable."

message 21: by Michael (new)

Michael (lovechild) | 280 comments "Do I contradict myself? Very well, then I contradict myself, I am large, I contain multitudes." _ Walt Whitman

message 22: by Erika (new)

Erika Manjarrez Avila “Nothing is impossible, the word itself says 'I'm possible'!”

-Audrey Hepburn

message 23: by Gouri (new)

Gouri (gourianil) | 14 comments "i can see beauty where others see ugliness. that either makes me an artist or someone of very poor taste"

-unknown

message 24: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 4667 comments "Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." - Albert Einstein

message 25: by Gouri (new)

Gouri (gourianil) | 14 comments @Kristie:Right!

message 26: by Gouri (new)

Gouri (gourianil) | 14 comments @Shrishti:Me too!

message 27: by Gouri (new)

Gouri (gourianil) | 14 comments "We all are a little weird and life is a little weird,when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours,we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love"
- Dr.Seuss

message 28: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 4667 comments Gouri*I've got a pocketful of sunshine :)* wrote: "@Kristie:Right!"

Shrishti wrote: "^_^ I love hat 1!!"

Thanks! :)

message 29: by Micaela (new)

Micaela | 111 comments “Teach the ignorant as much as you can; society is culpable in not providing a free education for all and it must answer for the night which it produces.
If the soul is left in darkness sins will be committed. The guilty one is not he who commits the sin, but he who causes the darkness.”
― Victor Hugo, Les Misérables

message 30: by Sc (last edited Mar 27, 2013 10:46AM) (new)

Sc Chan | 4 comments "Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication."
- Leonardo da Vinci

message 31: by Tejashree (new)

Tejashree | 6 comments "I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments."
--Jim Morrison

"Whether you think you can, or you think you can't you're right."
-- Henry Ford

message 32: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 31 comments “When the time comes to you at which you will be forced at last to utter the speech which has lain at the center of your soul for years, which you have, all that time, idiot-like, been saying over and over, you'll not talk about the joy of words. I saw well why the gods do not speak to us openly, nor let us answer. Till that word can be dug out of us, why should they hear the babble that we think we mean? How can they meet us face to face till we have faces?” ~C.S. Lewis

message 33: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 31 comments Patricia wrote: "The only difference between saints and sinners is that every saint has a past and every sinner a future by Oscar Wilde"

I love that quote.:)

message 34: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 5 comments "She might have loved him, but she was having a kick-ass time without him.” - Gossip Girl (Novel)I like rereading his quote whenever I kind of miss someone :P makes me feel better :D

message 35: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (originally_elle) | 250 comments "Men see things in a box. Women se them in a round room."

"Aim for the moon because even if you miss you still land among the stars."

message 36: by Jon (new)

Jon (jon17) | 82 comments Able was I ere I saw elba
-Napoleon

message 37: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (originally_elle) | 250 comments "Hell is empty & the devils are all here."
Billy Shakespeare

message 38: by Francesca (new)

Francesca (francesca_mae) For the humour... I like to sing this song when I play a dwarf in Dungeons and Dragons. (You just have too...)

“ "gold, gold, gold, gold, gold, gold".'
'Is there a chorus?'
' "Gold, gold, gold, gold, gold".' said Hwel.
'You left out a "gold" there.”
Terry Pratchett.

And.

Becoming fearless isn't the point. That's impossible. It's learning how to control your fear, and how to be free from it.

― Veronica Roth, Divergent

message 39: by Dawn (new)

Dawn LaBuy-Brockett (goodreadscomachromatic_apparel) | 1 comments "Happiness is a butterfly, which when pursued, is always just beyond your grasp, but, if you await quietly, will alight upon you." Nathaniel Hawthorne

message 40: by Erin (new)

Erin "People will exert, with vigor, their God-given right to be stupid." Dean Koontz

message 41: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey | 2 comments From the book "Little Bee"
- On the girl's brown legs there were many small white scars. I was thinking, Do those scars cover the whole of you, like the stars and the moons on your dress? I thought that would be pretty too, and I ask you right here please to agree with me that a scar is never ugly. That is what the scar makers want us to think. But you and I, we must make an agreement to defy them. We must see all scars as beauty. Okay? This will be our secret. Because take it from me, a scar does not form on the dying. A scar means, I SURVIVED.
In a few breaths time I will speak some sad words to you. But you must hear them the same way we have agreed to see scars now. Sad words are just another beauty. A sad story means, this story teller is ALIVE. The next thing you know, something fine will happen to her, something marvelous, and then she will turn around and smile. We cannot let ourselves be the people things happen to.

message 42: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey | 2 comments Kristie wrote: ""Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." - Albert Einstein"

I am so sharing this with my English students. I keep telling them they are smart; maybe they will believe Einstein.

message 43: by Helene (new)

Helene | 4 comments We can't choose where we come from but we can choose where we go from there.

Perks of Being a Wallflower.

message 44: by Sarah (new)

Sarah McMillan | 111 comments "We had the experience but missed the meaning" T.S. Eliot

and

"It takes courage to grow up and become who you really are" E.E. Cummings

message 45: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 4667 comments Lindsey wrote: "Kristie wrote: ""Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." - Albert Einstein"

I am so sharing this wi..."

I work with adolescent girls and this quote is so fitting in so many situations. I love it. :)

message 46: by Michael (new)

Michael (lovechild) | 280 comments Sing your song,
Dance your dance,
Tell your story,
I’ll listen and remember.
...Utah Phillips

message 47: by Ruthanne (new)

Ruthanne Johnston "Have a heart that never hardens,
a temper that never tires,
and a touch that never hurts."
....Charles Dickens

message 48: by Amr (last edited Apr 01, 2013 04:54PM) (new)

Amr (amrgalal7) | 11 comments "Do what you feel in your heart to be right - for you'll be criticized anyway."
-by Eleanor Roosevelt.

message 49: by Brie (new)

Brie Post | 4 comments "without pain how could we know joy"
"what a slut time is, she screws everybody"

message 50: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany | 27 comments frankly my dear, I don't give a damn

Gone With the Wind

« previous 1