YA Buddy Readers' Corner ♥ discussion

My Favorite Mistake (My Favorite Mistake, #1)
This topic is about My Favorite Mistake
BUDDY READ: Adult Fiction > MY FAVORITE MISTAKE by Chelsea M. Cameron / Start Date: July 30 2013

Comments Showing 1-50 of 66 (66 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Jalyn (jalynnie) | 3847 comments Trisha and I are starting this book on Sunday. Feel free to join us! :D

Trisha Yay! I can't wait!:D I just got it!

message 3: by Jalyn (last edited Mar 21, 2013 07:14PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Jalyn (jalynnie) | 3847 comments I can't wait too! I think this will actually be my first NA book so I'm really excited :D

Trisha oh my, your first one?!? :D I hope it's a good one then! I've been a little hit or miss on these lately....but I think this one will be good!

message 5: by Mishma (new)

Mishma Nixon I'll join you too.I've wanted to read this for a long time.

Trisha yay Mishma! Welcome aboard! :D

Jalyn (jalynnie) | 3847 comments Yay Mishma! Welcome :)

message 8: by Ms. (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ms. (mslucyyc) | 42 comments Hey, can I join too? I've had this like forever and I haven't gotten around reading it. :-)

Did you know that there's a Sheryl Crow song with the same title? I've always loved that song. :-)

Trisha Yes! Welcome aboard Lucy+Love! The more the merrier!!

message 10: by Ms. (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ms. (mslucyyc) | 42 comments Trisha wrote: "Yes! Welcome aboard Lucy+Love! The more the merrier!!"

Thanks! This is my first try at buddy reading. How do we do this?! :-)

message 11: by Jalyn (last edited Mar 22, 2013 07:59PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Jalyn (jalynnie) | 3847 comments Hey Lucy+Love! Basically we all start reading the book on the date chosen (this one starts on 03/24) and we discuss as we go along. Just make sure that you hide any spoilers (view spoiler) incase the rest of us are behind you in reading. That's about it! Oh, and you can read at your own pace unless the people doing the buddy read choose to read a certain number of chapters a day. Did I miss anything?

Trisha come back as often as you want to talk about anything we want with the book!
I like talking about books a lot so I'll be posting stuff the whole time I'm reading!

it's really fun Lucy+Love :D

message 13: by Ms. (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ms. (mslucyyc) | 42 comments Thanks Jalyn and Trisha. :-) That definitely cleared it up for me.

Let's do this! ;-)

message 14: by Trisha (last edited Mar 23, 2013 12:11PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Trisha we start this tomorrow!

Does anyone have a preference as to how we tackle this?

looks like the book is 30 chapters, 370 pages.

we could set a chapter amount to read each day or we could just come back every 5 chapters or...just read it at our own speed and come back when we're all done?

I'm pretty open! but I do like talking about books so I'll probably come back and chat while I'm reading :D

message 15: by Ms. (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ms. (mslucyyc) | 42 comments I'll probably give some updates and thoughts while I'm reading, or if I'm not online, I'll scribble some notes and share it tomorrow. I tend to forget things if I don't talk about it while I'm reading. :-)

Just let me know if there's a certain pace I should go. :-)

message 16: by Jalyn (new) - rated it 1 star

Jalyn (jalynnie) | 3847 comments We should probably go at our own pace for this one. I need to read it at a fast-ish (not a real word, I know ;D) pace since it's part of my Clean Your Shelf Challenge and I can't read the next book on the list until I finish the one before it :)

Trisha I think I'm going to go fast too! :) I aim to finish it tomorrow

message 18: by Ms. (last edited Mar 23, 2013 06:51PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ms. (mslucyyc) | 42 comments Jalyn wrote: "We should probably go at our own pace for this one. I need to read it at a fast-ish (not a real word, I know ;D) pace since it's part of my Clean Your Shelf Challenge and I can't read the next book..."

Got it. :-) I'm still trying to finish Unearthly before I get started on this, I'm half-way done and I'll probably finish it this afternoon. ;-)

message 19: by Ms. (last edited Mar 24, 2013 02:05AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ms. (mslucyyc) | 42 comments Trisha wrote: "I think I'm going to go fast too! :) I aim to finish it tomorrow"

Ooops! I might be behind now, I just finished Unearthly. Gotta get a move on. ;-)

message 20: by Jalyn (last edited Mar 24, 2013 09:22AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Jalyn (jalynnie) | 3847 comments It's ok Lucy. I'm trying to hurry up and finish Article 5 so I can start on this one.

Trisha oh nope! not reading yet :D lol

I plan to start in an hour or 2!

message 22: by Ms. (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ms. (mslucyyc) | 42 comments Hahaha! Well then, I guess I'm a bit ahead - now on Chapter 26, couldn't sleep last night so I kept reading. ;-)

message 23: by Trisha (last edited Mar 24, 2013 08:12PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Trisha lol!! I'm loving it so far! has everyone gotten to start?? I'm almost done with chapter 3, so not very far!

I love that he calls her (view spoiler)

and I love that she hit him!!! LOL!

I think it's pretty obvious that Taylor (view spoiler)

but do you find his challenge - so early on - realistic? I'm not sure if I do although I love it anyway! LOL!

message 24: by Ms. (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ms. (mslucyyc) | 42 comments That was a great way to start a book - she's got balls! lol!

Everything in this book is over the top - I guess it's not really realistic, but isn't that what fictional stories are supposed to be? ;-)

My mind was about to explode with the cliches I was thinking of while reading on though.
I'm trying real hard to squash any comparison my brain is making - it comes with reading so many YA books. *sigh*

Trisha yes! it is fun! I love both of the characters so far!
and all the other roommates (and cousins and friends!)

lol
you're farther along aren't you!

still enjoying it??

message 26: by Ms. (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ms. (mslucyyc) | 42 comments Well, yes and no. My fault really, I read a lot of YA books and some of the other characters and situations from some other stories seem to pop up in my head while I'm reading this. :-(

I'm bracing myself for the final chapters (still have 50 pages or so to go), this will make it or break it for me. :-)

message 27: by Trisha (last edited Mar 24, 2013 08:40PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Trisha lol!!! Alright, fingers crossed! :) I hope you love it!

Are you referring to Callie & Kayden? Or Easy?
or are there others that are like this??

message 28: by Ms. (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ms. (mslucyyc) | 42 comments Yep, more of Lucas/Landon than Kayden and a wee bit of Travis Maddox. :-) but male characters in these YA books usually are described in the same way. Beautiful, hot, badass (turned sappy), intelligent, etc.

It's weird though that the male characters objectify women in these stories, but women who read the book objectify these men in their reviews. 0_0

By the way, I'm done but I'll wait for your thoughts/comments first, don't wanna spoil anything. ;-)

message 29: by Ms. (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ms. (mslucyyc) | 42 comments Jalyn wrote: "It's ok Lucy. I'm trying to hurry up and finish Article 5 so I can start on this one."

I'm done with this one. How's the book you're reading? good? :-)

Trisha Lucy+Love wrote: "It's weird though that the male characters objectify women in these stories, but women who read the book objectify these men in their reviews. 0_0
..."

hhah!!! That is great! So very true, what a great observation! I'd never noticed that.

I don't typically like the bad boy jerk kind of boys.. I haven't read Beautiful Disaster yet....

Hmm.. alright, I'm more than 1/2 way so it shouldn't be too much longer :D I'll be back!

Trisha sorry, I got totally distracted by a show! LOL

Okay, I'm back and I'm just getting ready to type up my review.

So, Lucy+Love looks like you rated it higher than I'm going to! LOL

what did you think? What did you like? What did you not like???

message 32: by Ms. (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ms. (mslucyyc) | 42 comments Wow! I thought I hated it more than you did. :-)

I usually give more importance to entertainment value than technical stuff, so based on that I gave it an "ok" rating. :-)

What I liked about it was that Taylor was not the typical female protagonist - I mean, she was tough on the outside but vulnerable inside, she didn't want to be the damsel in distress. I don't know why, but the banter and teasing got me all giddy, as it always does. ;-)

What I didn't like about it was that Hunter was so perfect. I mean unbelievably perfect and the things he did - like, seriously????!!! Some parts of the story got some major eyeroll from me.

And I felt overall that the story was basically on the safe side, issues weren't really discussed much and the effects of their experiences didn't really show. Unlike Kayden and Callie which brought f'ed up to a whole new level. :-)

Trisha Yeah, this one just drug for me.

I just got to the point I didn't think Taylor/Missy was protecting herself or whatever anymore...that at some point she was just being mean. To have power? I don't know, but I got to the point I wanted to root Hunter on for finding someone new!

And Yeah, Hunter. A ring, really?! When he gave her the ring, if it had been a book I would have thrown it! LOL! I was so done after that. he was just tooo...perfect! Just like you said.

Well, I'm glad at least it was entertaining....

I did love it in the beginning - I love how they met. I even love that her nickname was so cute - missy (not kitten, or kitty or sugar or...some other blah typical name). but their banter her pushing him away just got...tiring.

:)

message 34: by Ms. (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ms. (mslucyyc) | 42 comments LOL!

The guitar playing and the singing and serenading - bleh. It was meant to be sweet but I was cringing, that's so cliche... So much for being a badass. *eyeroll*

message 35: by Trisha (last edited Mar 25, 2013 06:52PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Trisha LOL! Yeah, NOTHING about it said "badass"

his singing and playing the guitar got so old
who knew that could actually be annoying in a romance book!? LOL!

message 36: by Jalyn (new) - rated it 1 star

Jalyn (jalynnie) | 3847 comments Oh no you guys didn't really like it? I'm not very far in yet. Hopefully I can read the rest today.

message 37: by Jalyn (new) - rated it 1 star

Jalyn (jalynnie) | 3847 comments I just can't get into this book. I'm 21% in and I just want to smack Taylor. She annoys me...a lot. There are all these hints that something bad happened to her in the past, but I could seriously care less. Ugh. I don't know how I'm going to get through this one.

message 38: by Sarah Elizabeth (last edited Jul 25, 2013 02:03AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sarah Elizabeth (bookworm_sarah) | 84088 comments Mod

Emma and I will be reading this book on July 30th 2013. Everyone welcome ☺

Two secrets. One bet. Who will break first?

Taylor Caldwell can't decide if she wants to kiss her new college roommate or punch him.

On the one hand, Hunter Zaccadelli is a handsome blue-eyed bundle of charm. On the other, he's a tattooed, guitar-playing bad boy. Maybe that's why Taylor's afraid of falling in love with him, or anyone else. She doesn't want to get burned, so she needs him gone before it's too late.

Hunter himself has been burned before, but Taylor's sexy laugh and refusal to let him get away with anything make her irresistible. Determined not to be kicked out of her life without a fight, Hunter proposes a bet: if she can convince him she either truly loves or hates him, he'll leave the apartment;and leave her alone.

But when the man behind Taylor's fear of giving up her heart resurfaces, she has to decide: trust Hunter with her greatest secret, or do everything in her power to win that bet and drive him away forever.

message 39: by Emma (new) - added it

Emma (foreverlookingforward) | 108 comments Looks really good can't wait :)

Starting now ☺

12% (view spoiler)

15% (view spoiler)

25% (view spoiler)

35% (view spoiler)

message 45: by Emma (new) - added it

Emma (foreverlookingforward) | 108 comments (view spoiler)

message 46: by Emma (new) - added it

Emma (foreverlookingforward) | 108 comments Sarah wrote: "35% (view spoiler)"

I agree

41% (view spoiler)

message 48: by Emma (new) - added it

Emma (foreverlookingforward) | 108 comments In real life I'm sure they would have moved them by now!

message 49: by Emma (new) - added it

Emma (foreverlookingforward) | 108 comments I'm sure he enjoys winding her up and seeing what she does (view spoiler)

message 50: by Emma (new) - added it

Emma (foreverlookingforward) | 108 comments Sarah wrote: "41% what the hell is wrong with this girl? what difference does it make that his parents are rich?

I wish something would happen already. all this dancing around each other is getting old."

I know right what does it matter I mean it's kind of obvious he doesn't want it he would have brought a flat or something when he found out he wouldn't be living with his cousin

« previous 1