Shut Up & Read discussion

Archives > Looking for "Light" Fantasy

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Tim The Enchanter I am generally not a hardcore Fantasy Book reader. I do however like books with some fantasy elements, i.e. magic, stange mystic places, different races of beings. I'm just not into wizard that ride unicorns to save celestial princess from, so on and so forth.

Possibly my favorite books of all time are what I consider two "light" fantasy books,

The Lies of Locke Lamora
Red Seas Under Red Skies

I really want to find other books like this. Light fantasy that isn't over the top. Suggestions?

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

You might like Theft of Swords.
Or Swords and Deviltry.

Another book I'd recommend is The Alloy of Law. Sanderson writes traditional fantasy with a twist that you may enjoy, but this book is lighter in tone than his others and can be read on its own.

Tim The Enchanter The first and third suggestions look promising. Thanks.

message 4: by William (new)

William Stuart (thegemstonechronicles) | 17 comments At the risk of a shameless plug, you could check out my MG/YA fantasy adventure called The Gemstone Chronicles Book One: The Carnelian. It is light fantasy and the adults that have read it seem to like it. It has received 4 and 5-star reviews on Goodreads, Amazon, and Smashwords.

Tim The Enchanter William. Post a link your book in goodreads. I'm surfing on my phone and having trouble finding it.

message 6: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Fablehaven is actually a great series by Brandon Mull. It's written for teens but everyone I have shared it with likes it. It has many different mythical creatures in it.
Brandon Mull

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Retribution Falls

This. I didn't think of these books yesterday. But I think you'll love them.

Tim The Enchanter Thanks. Gives off a firefly vibe.

message 9: by A.L. (new)

A.L. Butcher (alb2012) | 240 comments Anything by Terry Pratchett, these tend to be fairly light and funny. Terry Pratchett's Mort for example.

Also The Mage's Tomb, although this is not especially light and is more YA, but still good for adults (well I liked it), Dragon Fate or The Dreamweaver's Journey (this one is also YA but good.)

My own is probably a bit too dark for what you are after.

Tim The Enchanter I'm fine with dark but I don't like to be overwhelmed with the fantasy elements of the story.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Yes. Very much Firefly.

If you don't mind dark with 'light' fantasy elements you might look at, Best Served Cold. It was a fun book to me. But darker than the others I've mentioned.

Tim The Enchanter Thanks. Best served cold looks promising. Plus, it's turns out I have a copy! Guess I will be starting with this one.

message 13: by A.L. (new)

A.L. Butcher (alb2012) | 240 comments Well I don't have a celestial unicorn in mine but there are elves and magic:) Must make a not to add a unicorn.

message 14: by Patricia (last edited Mar 23, 2013 11:30AM) (new)

Patricia Reding | 40 comments Hey, Tim. Ordinarily, I wouldn't do this, but since you've asked, I will engage in a shameless plug. You might enjoy: book: OATHTAKER. It is fantasy, but not with wizards and unicorns and the like. . . . Oathtaker

Tim The Enchanter Plug away! Ifs it's food I want to know about it :)

message 16: by Stan (new)

Stan Morris (morriss003) Uh, oh. The Colors of Passion and Love has a unihorn although its not a superpowerful unihorn. And it has a magic bracelet, though it's only real power is to get warm or cold and to give off a light. The real magic is about a princess who grows up.