The Sword and Laser discussion

Scifi / Fantasy News > Patrick Rothfuss writing for new Torment game

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kevin (new)

Kevin | 701 comments The folks behind Torment: Tides of Numenera, the spiritual successor to the cRPG classic Planescape: Torment that is currently in the middle of a crowd funding campaign on Kickstarter have announced that Patrick Rothfuss will be joining their team of writers.

Well, he will be if they reach the $3.25 million milestone of their campaign. The odds are looking good for that since they have already over 2.8 million in pledges and still have over 2 weeks to go.

I'm super exited for this as Planescape: Torment is widely regarded as one of the greatest feats of storytelling on the PC, and a lot of the people who worked on that game are now also working on the this new Torment. Patrick Rothfuss is, IMO, the best storyteller in fantasy today so he seems like a perfect fit for this.

You can find out more on Rothfuss' blog: http://blog.patrickrothfuss.com/
And of course the Kickstarter page for Torment: Tides of Numenera:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/i...

So what are you waiting for! Pledge, people, pledge! Make this happen!

message 2: by Soo (new)

Soo (silverlyn) | 92 comments This is pretty cool! Torment is one of my favorite PC games. =)

message 3: by Kristina (new)

Kristina | 588 comments I saw this yesterday and backed it. I even got my hubby to go dig out his old copy of Planescape:Torment for me to mess around with :P

message 4: by Daniel (new)

Daniel Ferguson | 21 comments You had me at Patrick Rothfuss.

message 5: by Kevin (new)

Kevin | 701 comments Jo wrote: "You folks realize that signing Rothfuss on this is going to push the release date back by at least five years, right?

I kid, I kid. I love Pat, and I'm looking forward to seeing what he does with..."

Read the blog post I linked, he adresses that issue and his reasons for taking on this project. :)

Also: The latest update on the game's Kickstarter page announced that if the project reaches 3.5million in funding Chris Avallone, the lead designer and writer of Planescape: Torment will be joining the design team!

message 6: by Sky (new)

Sky Corbelli | 352 comments Good old Torment. I kicked in before it funded (read: first couple hours) and was excited to hear about Mr. Rothfuss joining as a stretch goal. I just hope that they don't over-commit, as successful projects seem wont to do.

message 7: by Daniel (new)

Daniel Ferguson | 21 comments He's gotten better at that deadline thing. First book: 14 years. Second book: 4 years. Third book: nothing solid, but I've heard this year (2 years) actually.

message 8: by Sam (new)

Sam | 25 comments Daniel wrote: "He's gotten better at that deadline thing. First book: 14 years. Second book: 4 years. Third book: nothing solid, but I've heard this year (2 years) actually."

Unless he finishes revising in the next few months this year seems unlikely. Since he mentioned in the blog post being discouraged with the editing -- part of why he is taking a break for other projects -- I'd be surprised if it is finished up that quickly. Hopefully next year though.

message 9: by Kevin (new)

Kevin | 701 comments Yea, I wouldn't expect the book any earlier than 2014

message 10: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8292 comments Jo wrote: "You folks realize that signing Rothfuss on this is going to push the release date back by at least five years, right?"

That's why they didn't hire George R.R. Martin -- they wanted to release it before the Singularity happens.

message 11: by Jlawrence, S&L Moderator (last edited Mar 25, 2013 02:48PM) (new)

Jlawrence | 960 comments Mod
Planescape: Torment is one of the best games/stories I've ever played, and I was another of those who jumped in as a backer on day 1 for Numenera. So I was surprised/delighted when Rothfuss was pulled in through a stretch goal (I'm looking forward to the third Kingkiller, but I'm OK with waiting for it, unlike my impatience with regards to Westeros).