Goodreads All Sorts discussion

Genres > Historical Fiction

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (missie322) I'm a huge fan of historical fiction. Just wondering what everyone's fave is and maybe some suggestions for not so popular ones that you thought were really good. Thanks :)

message 2: by Katherine (new)

Katherine | 609 comments Melissa, you have to read the historian by Elizabeth kostova. One of my all time favourites. Also pillars of th earth by ken follett and its follow up world without end. Not his usual genre but very well written and worth the read. Both have been made into tv series but the books are so much better.

message 3: by Katherine (new)

Katherine | 609 comments Should have also said the book thief and a woman in Berlin if you consider ww2 historical fiction. Couple of other books set in stalins Russia but will need to look up the names. Murder/mystery but murder doesn't happen in Stalinist Russia!!!!

message 4: by April (new)

April (AJoyS) I love and read a lot of historical fiction. I loved 1000 White Women by Jim Fergus. Also I am part of a historical fiction group here on goodreads Beyond Mr. Darcy: Romantic Historical Fiction and if want to check it out!

message 5: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (missie322) Katherine wrote: "Melissa, you have to read the historian by Elizabeth kostova. One of my all time favourites. Also pillars of th earth by ken follett and its follow up world without end. Not his usual genre but ve..."

Thank you for the suggestions .. I'm definitely going to check those books out. Have you read The Swan Thieves by Elizabeth Kostova? Just curious. I got it at the thrift store and it's been on my bookshelf for a while now.

message 6: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (missie322) Katherine wrote: "Should have also said the book thief and a woman in Berlin if you consider ww2 historical fiction. Couple of other books set in stalins Russia but will need to look up the names. Murder/mystery b..."

I wasn't a big fan of the Book Thief. I will definitely check out A Women in Berlin. Thanks for the suggestion.

message 7: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (missie322) April wrote: "I love and read a lot of historical fiction. I loved 1000 White Women by Jim Fergus. Also I am part of a historical fiction group here on goodreads Beyond Mr. Darcy: Romantic Historical Fiction an..."

Thanks for the suggestion ... I will check out the book and the group :)

message 8: by Michael (new)

Michael (micky74007) Melissa wrote: "April wrote: "I love and read a lot of historical fiction. I loved 1000 White Women by Jim Fergus. Also I am part of a historical fiction group here on goodreads Beyond Mr. Darcy: Romantic Histori..."

I thought 1000 White Women was superb.

message 9: by Katherine (new)

Katherine | 609 comments Melissa wrote: "Katherine wrote: "Melissa, you have to read the historian by Elizabeth kostova. One of my all time favourites. Also pillars of th earth by ken follett and its follow up world without end. Not his ..."

Melissa wrote: "Katherine wrote: "Melissa, you have to read the historian by Elizabeth kostova. One of my all time favourites. Also pillars of th earth by ken follett and its follow up world without end. Not his ..."

Read the swan thieves, not a bad book but I was totally blown away by the 'the historian' and expected a lot more than I probably should have from her second novel. Still worth reading though, especially if you didn't pay full price for it

message 10: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (missie322) Katherine wrote: "Melissa wrote: "Katherine wrote: "Melissa, you have to read the historian by Elizabeth kostova. One of my all time favourites. Also pillars of th earth by ken follett and its follow up world withou..."

No full price. 20 cents from the thrift store :)

message 11: by Katherine (new)

Katherine | 609 comments Worth reading then:) 20 cents, you probably spent more on petrol going to the store :)

message 12: by Sophia (new)

Sophia | 60 comments Historical Fiction is one of my favourite genres, too! Anything that can take me far away from my present life.

I just finished The Light Between Oceans tonight. Such a good book!

message 13: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (missie322) Sophia wrote: "Historical Fiction is one of my favourite genres, too! Anything that can take me far away from my present life.

I just finished The Light Between Oceans tonight. Such a good book!"

I absolutely loved that book!!

message 14: by BattyKat (new)

BattyKat (prosserkat) Has anyone read Katherine by Anya Setton?

LOVED it. I picked it up in my HS library over 20 years ago and was delighted to find out that it's a book about an ancestor of mine!!

message 15: by Ali (new)

Ali | 163 comments I love Tudor fiction, Anne Boleyn and such. Phillipa Gregory got me started on that...

Does anyone else read that stuff? Any other authors worth looking at? xx

message 16: by Robert (new)

Robert (booklover_83) | 23 comments I am a HUGE lover of Historical Fiction. The Tudor era is my favorite as well as Elizabethan England. I also am a fan of Pillars of The Earth by Ken Follett. I plan on reading World Without End very soon!

Maggie the Muskoka Library Mouse (mcurry1990) "The Kashmir Shawl" by Rosie Thomas was a recent read of mine, and it was wonderfully detailed. As a result of the author's descriptions of the setting, I would love to visit the Kashmir Valley in India some day.