Goodreads Ireland discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Monthly Group Read Nominations > April Monthly Read Nominations 2013

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (last edited Mar 25, 2013 08:23AM) (new)

This is the nominations thread for our April monthly read. Nominations are open to any writer of any genre and, as always, there is only one nomination per member

This thread will remain open until March 24, after which the poll will be assembled.

I look forward to you nominations.

Declan. :)

message 2: by Jack (new)

Jack (jack_) I nominate Gone Girl

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Jack wrote: "I nominate Gone Girl"

It was quite popular last time around. Maybe this time?

message 4: by Jack (new)

Jack (jack_) Hope so. Just started it. Quite intriguing, I must say.

message 5: by Laurel (new)

Laurel Rockefeller (laurelarockefeller) Declan wrote: "This is the nominations thread for our April monthly read. Nominations are open to any writer of any genre and, as always, there is only one nomination per member

This thread will remain open unti..."

The Ghosts of the Past I nominate Ghosts of the Past

message 7: by John (new)

John Braine (trontsephore) I went ahead and read Gone Girl after it didn't win. Enjoyable read.

I've been meaning to see how a non-fiction would do in the nominations. I like a good dose of fiction and non fiction to mix it up a bit. My nomination is Far from the Tree: Parents, Children, and the Search for Identity.

As recommended here:
http://www.farmlanebooks.co.uk/2013/f...

message 8: by Caroline (new)

Caroline Novoa (caroline_doherty_de_novoa) | 93 comments I also think Gone Girl is a good option (I just added it to my "must read" shelf a couple of days ago). Although if readers are interested in reading something set in Ireland this April then my novel Dancing with Statues would (in my humble opinion!) be a very good option. It's part set in post-conflict Northern Ireland and part set in Colombia.
I invite you to check out the opening excerpt which you can download here on Goodreads. Looking forward to hearing about the other nominations. Caroline
Dancing with Statues

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

John wrote: "I've been meaning to see how a non-fiction would do in the nominations. I like a good dose of fiction and non fiction to mix it..."

We've had one non-fiction win the QIR category: How the Irish Saved Civilization.

I'm still interested to see how your nomination fairs, though.

message 10: by Tara (new)

Tara  Niland (taraniland) I would like to nominate These things hidden by Heather Gudenkauf x

message 11: by Tara (new)

Tara  Niland (taraniland) Jack wrote: "I nominate Gone Girl"

I read this but found it very disappointing especially with all the great reviews on it, a big let down I thought, but you might enjoy it x

message 12: by Susan (new)

Susan | 4707 comments Declan, we have several people nominating their own books again this month- Laurel and Caroline. I thought we had decided against this. :)

P.S. I loved "Gone Girl" but for variety's sake I nominate The Casual Vacancy by J.K. Rowling.

message 13: by Colin (new)

Colin Duffy | 1 comments hi, this is my first month involved and looking forward to it. i read description of Gone Girl and it looks interesting.
i will nominate Gone Girl.

message 14: by Niamh (new)

Niamh O Not sure if you have done alone in Berlin so I will nominate that

message 15: by I-like-to-read (new)

I-like-to-read (akakate) I was going to nominate Gone Girlbut as 2 of the above have nominated it I will go for Waiting for Sunrise - hoping that Gone Girl will win :-)

message 16: by Amanda (new)

Amanda my first month too - I would like to nominate After the Fall by Charity Norman

ps i read gone girl and still jot sure if i liked it but i did enjoy it! odd i know

message 17: by [deleted user] (last edited Mar 22, 2013 05:07AM) (new)

Susan wrote: "Declan, we have several people nominating their own books again this month- Laurel and Caroline. I thought we had decided against this. :)"

I changed the rules to stop people canvassing outside of the group for votes, and I changed the group's introduction info to inform new members. Self nominations are still allowed, as long as the book is chosen by our regular members who intend to read the book.

I though that this would be enough the deter people who would use the group as a source for potential reviews. I wouldn't want to dismiss any novel that the group might like. I just want to make sure that it's the group's choice and not just voted in by interlopers who have no intention on taking part in our discussion.

When I removed a nomination previously, there was still another self-nominated book in the poll.

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Amanda wrote: "ps i read gone girl and still not sure if i liked it but i did enjoy it! odd i know"

That sounds like most reviews of 50 Shades of Grey I've heard from my friends.

message 19: by Iuliana Naughton (new)

Iuliana Naughton | 46 comments I would like to nominate The Silver Linings Playbook. I have bought it recently and i am looking forward to it.

message 20: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa (vanessarox) | 3 comments I would like to nominate safe haven by nicholas sparks I got it as an ebook recently and saw the movie also can't wait to read it!

message 21: by Bernie (last edited Mar 22, 2013 02:36PM) (new)

message 22: by Niamh (new)

Niamh O I would add a second nomination of TELL THE WOLVES IM HOME , it has some very good reviews on this site and I look forward to reading it

message 23: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (bdegar) | 4626 comments I see a few books nominated that I would enjoy reading, but was motivated to suggest a non-fiction title Three Famines: Starvation and Politics by the Australian writer Thomas Keneally.

message 24: by Ted (new)

Ted | 133 comments I should let Declan handle this, but two nominations by the same person are not allowed, Niamh. You will need to choose one or the other.

Also, for newcomers' benefit, adding a "second nomination" of a book that has already been nominated by someone else has no effect on anything.

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

Ted wrote: "I should let Declan handle this, but two nominations by the same person are not allowed, Niamh. You will need to choose one or the other."

There's is still a day left for Niamh to decide which novel she would prefer to nominate. If she can't respond before then I'll assume the second nomination was made in place of the first.

message 26: by Niamh (new)

Niamh O Sorry did not realise that I broke a rule the second nomination is the one I will go with

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

Niamh wrote: "Sorry did not realise that I broke a rule the second nomination is the one I will go with"

Thanks for getting back, Niamh! :)

message 28: by Laura (last edited Mar 24, 2013 11:16AM) (new)

Laura | 258 comments I nominate Bring Up the Bodies by Hilary Mantel. I liked Wolf Hall and suspect this book will be equally as good. It won the 2012 Booker prize.

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

This thread has been closed for new comments and the poll to select our April monthly read will follow shortly.

Declan. :)

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.