Historical Fictionistas discussion

Edward Rutherfurd
This topic is about Edward Rutherfurd
Historical Fiction Discussions > "Paris" by Edward Rutherfurd

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Martin (new)

Martin Turnbull (martin_turnbull) I just read that Edward Rutherford's "Paris" will be released in April 2013 and was very excited. His "London" and "Sarum" are among my most favorite HF novels. Then remembered that his "New York" was one of my biggest HF disappointments - I was actually kind of bored by it (which shocked me!) So now I found myself a bit wary of taking on 823 pages of "Paris" and was wondering if anybody else had the same reaction.

message 2: by Teawench (new)

Teawench | 8 comments I LOVE Edward Rutherfurd. I bought Sarum when I was in middle school and it's probably the only book I've re-read. I love London, Russka: The Novel of Russia, The Forest. I really enjoyed The Princes of Ireland, too. But I totally agree on New York: The Novel. I was so terribly disappointed in it.

However, I pre-ordered Paris the day he announced it was coming out on April 23 and I can't wait. I'm willing to forgive one less than perfect novel. But if Paris stinks, I might have to have words with him even if it's just yelling at my Nook.

message 3: by Martin (new)

Martin Turnbull (martin_turnbull) I'm so glad it wasn't just me re: NY. I was concerned I was missing something. But I agree - with two books in my Top Ten All Time books, the guy can have the odd dud.

message 4: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Martin wrote: "I'm so glad it wasn't just me re: NY. I was concerned I was missing something. But I agree - with two books in my Top Ten All Time books, the guy can have the odd dud."

I haven't read Rutherford's books yet. I just recently learned about Sarum (and his others). I'm new to HF and that book really intrigues me. I've recently read a monster of a book (over 1,200 pgs) and am not sure I am ready to tackle another big read just yet. But I've become intrigued with Britain's beginnings. My son (who was a medieval major) handed me Bede's Ecclesiastical History of the English People yesterday...saying "here this will get you started." :-) It looks fascinating but I need fiction to get the real gist of it.

message 5: by Martin (new)

Martin Turnbull (martin_turnbull) Yes, Barbara, sometimes you need a breather after a long book like that, but Sarum (and London) are both WONDERFUL. (NY...not so much!)

message 6: by Lori (new)

Lori Baldi | -37 comments The only one I got through was Sarum: The Novel of England and I just loved it. I tried London but couldn't get through the pre-historic period. I can always get back to it.

message 7: by Richard (new)

Richard Lee (histnovel) I loved Sarum, and enjoyed London though not as much. I started Russka but didn't finish it. I haven't read the others, but I am certainly hopeful about Paris. It is a city I know well and love. Today the UK's Bookseller magazine had a bunch of independent commentators pick the books they thought would be big for June - and three picked out Paris.

message 8: by LauraJ (last edited Mar 22, 2013 09:24AM) (new)

LauraJ (laurajpetri) | 9 comments Oh no! I just picked up NY a few months ago for $5. I guess now I know why it was so cheap. I'll probably still push through it, but now at least I'll know it's not entirely the fault of my questionable attention span.

I loved his books: The Princes of Ireland and The Rebels of Ireland so hopefully Paris will be good too.

message 9: by April (new)

April | 191 comments I haven't read his others (I have London to read in July, only one big book a month for me) but I really like New York and that is the reason I picked up London.

Didn't know about Paris though. I will be buying that one soon too. I loved my short visit and fully intend to return one day.

message 10: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie BTW, Rutherfurd is the correct spelling! Maybe someone in the group can fix it? I don't know how.

message 11: by Jackie, That's Her Constableness to you! (new)

Jackie (thenightowl) | 2463 comments Mod
Fixed it.

message 12: by Barbara (new)

Barbara LOL....I live in E. Rutherford, NJ and automatically spelled his name with an o.

message 13: by Laura (new)

Laura Gill | 162 comments Glad to know that I'm not alone regarding NY. That's why I'm waiting to see what the reviews are like for Paris before checking it out.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

I love Rutherfurds novels. I was a little disappointed in New York compared to his other novels but I have always wished he would write a novel with a french or scottish location so I am ready to dive in the first chance I get.

message 15: by Anne (new)

Anne (gloucester) | 24 comments I'm a big fan of his, too. His real name is Francis Edward Wintle, BTW! Hence the unusual Rutherfurd, which always sounded made up to me. I enjoyed learning about New York, but agree it was not up to Sarum or London. My friend Beverly Swerling's "City of Dreams" is a much better New York novel IMO. I have high hopes for "Paris" as it is my favorite city in the whole world (and I'm a Londoner!). Lived there for four years in my 30s and became such a regular at the Cluny Museum, I was allowed to give a tour to a bunch of foreign attache wives (in English) once! Love that place. Very useful for research in writing my books set in the medieval period, even though at that age, I had no idea I would be writing those in my 60s!

message 16: by Laura (new)

Laura Gill | 162 comments I'm a bit sad that Paris doesn't start way back 2000 years ago when it was a center of Gallic Druid activity, during Caesar's Gallic Wars. Rutherford's leaving that out, as well as the Merovingian and later medieval periods. I'm a sucker for the earlier histories, as he did in Sarum.

message 17: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Wilcox (goodreadscomdocsladie) | 63 comments Sarum is one of my all-time favorite books. It's the only book of any genre that I would pause in reading to share passages with my family. And New York was one of my least favorites! Seemed that English Rutherford didn't understand the heart of the American people, assuming that the Revolution was all about commerce and the economy, and underplaying the fight for freedom. Lost the passion of the story, and the story lost me. But I'm willing to give him another go!

message 18: by Theresa (new)

Theresa | 5 comments I have to disagree with you all about New York. I really enjoyed it and have read it twice. But I'm really, really into American history. I also read that one before London. I found London a little too engrossing in that it covered such a huge timespan and some history that I wasn't up on that it felt overwhelming at times. I haven't read Sarum yet.

message 19: by Laura (last edited Mar 29, 2013 04:28PM) (new)

Laura Gill | 162 comments Kathy wrote: "Laura wrote: "I'm a bit sad that Paris doesn't start way back 2000 years ago when it was a center of Gallic Druid activity, during Caesar's Gallic Wars. Rutherford's leaving that out, as well as t..."

I don't think so. Nowadays he seems to rush more through his books than he used to.

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

Laura wrote: "I'm a bit sad that Paris doesn't start way back 2000 years ago when it was a center of Gallic Druid activity, during Caesar's Gallic Wars. Rutherford's leaving that out, as well as the Merovingian..."

what time period does it start? I was expecting another Sarum/London etc.

message 21: by Teawench (new)

Teawench | 8 comments I found one review that says it covers a period of time from Caesar to 1968.

message 22: by Laura (new)

Laura Gill | 162 comments Teawench wrote: "I found one review that says it covers a period of time from Caesar to 1968."

No, it covers the Middle Ages through 1968.

message 23: by Teawench (new)

Teawench | 8 comments Laura wrote: "Teawench wrote: "I found one review that says it covers a period of time from Caesar to 1968."

No, it covers the Middle Ages through 1968."

I didn't think it went that far back but other than that one review, I haven't seen anything that says what time period it covers.

message 24: by Laura (new)

Laura Gill | 162 comments I'm seeing a lot of conflicting information in the advance reviews. Whether I buy it depends on the reviews and sample chapter once it's released.

message 25: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 69 comments Hmm, I am thinking about getting this for my Mom for Mother's day. She has read London and the The Dublin Saga and Sarum. She didn't want to read the one on New York or Russia both of which sound intriguing to me. I am going to read London sometime soon, just trying to find the time to fit it in.