Fantasy Aficionados discussion

Discussions about books > The 20 Best Paranormal Fantasy Novels of the Last Decade

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nyssa, Don't make me get the ruler! (last edited Mar 21, 2013 02:56PM) (new)

Nyssa | 134 comments Barnes & Noble: The 20 Best Paranormal Fantasy Novels of the Last Decade

Of my favorites:

Charlaine Harris is in spot #9, Jim Butcher got #3 and Kim Harrison won top billing at #1. Although, I'd personally put Butcher ahead of Harrison.

Patricia Briggs (#16) & Laurell K. Hamilton (#7) are on my "To Try" list.

message 2: by Sophie (new)

Sophie (imhrien) | 433 comments Wow, there are quite a few names on there that are totally unfamiliar to me. =D

I'm very surprised that Cerulean Sins is way up there. Of the books in that series that were written in the decade, I would have said that Book 9, Obsidian Butterfly was the best. That's just me though, I'm one of those LKH fans that prefer the earlier part of the series.

I really want to try Tempest Rising. Been trying to get to that series for quite a while. The fact that its on the short side is a real plus, too.

message 3: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments Well, I can't take the list seriously. Ilona Andrews is not on it. O_o

message 4: by Nyssa, Don't make me get the ruler! (last edited Mar 21, 2013 07:44PM) (new)

Nyssa | 134 comments MrsJoseph wrote: "Well, I can't take the list seriously. Ilona Andrews is not on it. O_o"

Nevermind. I misread what you typed.

I've not read anything by her, but I know Alanspace over at MR loves the Kate Daniels series.

message 5: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments Nyssa wrote: "MrsJoseph wrote: "Well, I can't take the list seriously. Ilona Andrews is not on it. O_o"

Where??? I don't see her..."

Exactly.

*fumes*

message 6: by Nyssa, Don't make me get the ruler! (new)

Nyssa | 134 comments Yeah, I misread your post... I've edited mine, above.

message 7: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments I've been stalking Ilona Andrews' site forever waiting for Kate6. Uggggh! I missed out on the beta read option!!!! *bangs head*

message 8: by carol., Senor Crabbypants (new)

carol. | 2616 comments MrsJoseph wrote: "Well, I can't take the list seriously. Ilona Andrews is not on it. O_o"

It's a strange list. So... we need to do our own :D

message 9: by Sophie (new)

Sophie (imhrien) | 433 comments It is a rather unusual list. By "decade" I thought he meant 2000's, but he was going from '03-13 which is a weird timeframe. Also the fact that its "Paranormal" and not Urban Fantasy is a bit strange. I also didn't read the intro, which is where he wrote,

"The list below includes 20 novels that are not only extraordinarily good, but have also dramatically influenced—and continue to influence—the course of the genre."

I have to agree that Ilona Andrews should be on there. Other notable absentees are Kelly Armstrong and Simon R. Green.

message 10: by Sophie (new)

Sophie (imhrien) | 433 comments Carol wrote: "It's a strange list. So... we need to do our own :D"

=D

message 11: by Jalilah (new)

Jalilah I wonder how they come up with "the best". Are they going by sales? Polls? Who decides?

message 12: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments Carol wrote: "MrsJoseph wrote: "Well, I can't take the list seriously. Ilona Andrews is not on it. O_o"

It's a strange list. So... we need to do our own :D"

Let's do it! Top 20 from....publish date has to be 2000 or later?

message 13: by Ceilidh (new)

Ceilidh (ceilidh96) | 5 comments MrsJoseph wrote: "Carol wrote: "MrsJoseph wrote: "Well, I can't take the list seriously. Ilona Andrews is not on it. O_o"

It's a strange list. So... we need to do our own :D"

Let's do it! Top 20 from....publish..."

ooh, yes please! I'm in need of some fresh meat! :) (Mrs. J, I've added Kate Daniels per your rec. Thanks!)

Snarktastic Sonja (snownsew) | 258 comments 2000 seems good. When did the genre really take off? and what was the defining book? That would seem to be a good starting point.

I am excited! I was not crazy about this posted list . . . but at least it included Patrica Briggs . . .

message 15: by carol., Senor Crabbypants (new)

carol. | 2616 comments Alright, before we set up a nomination thread, we need a few rules... so what we have so far is
1) Urban fantasy (do we define?)
2) Written 2000 or later.

Other rules? Series or individual books like this list?

message 16: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments Carol wrote: "Alright, before we set up a nomination thread, we need a few rules... so what we have so far is
1) Urban fantasy (do we define?)
2) Written 2000 or later.

Other rules? Series or individual books l..."

I love you , Carol. :D

I pulled this and modified it from the old thread. (next post)

message 17: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments "An Aficionado’s Guide to The 20 Best Urban Fantasy Novels of the Last Decade "

Fantasy Aficionados is creating a list of The 20 Best Urban Fantasy Novels of the Last Decade

Here are the rules:
Each person can nominate 1 book/series.

Nominations last until ____________.

Books have to have been published no earlier than 2000

Multiple polls will run simultaneously until we narrow the nomination list down to 20 books. Each poll will run for a total of 2? days. At the end of that time the top ?? books will move on to the next round. When 100 books remain we will vote in a final poll for the position of the top 20 books. Edit?

How to nominate books:
- A series is considered one nomination. For example, someone nominating Halfway to the Grave is actually nominating the entire Night Huntress Series.

- No Science Fiction or Epic Fantasy books! Any sci-fi or Epic Fantasy books nominated will be discarded. For the purpose of this poll Star Wars and all of its derivatives will be considered sci-fi and not eligible.

- When writing your nomination, make sure to add the book as a link. Please do not just write the name of the book/series. If nominating a series link the omnibus edition, if possible. If no omnibus edition exists/is not inside the GR system, please link the first book in the series. Any book nominated without a link will be discarded.

Example
Yes: Magic Bites
No: Magic Bites

Other important stuff
Have fun!

Don’t argue about people's choices! Save that for this thread: _________________

Have any questions as to if a book is eligible for nomination? Majority Rules: The group will decide on this thread: _________________

Think that someone nominated a book that isn’t eligible? Majority Rules: Please discuss in this thread: __________________________

message 18: by Valerie (new)

Valerie (darthval) | 68 comments I agree that Ilona should be on the list! Love the idea of creating one for this group. I have not read all of the books and authors, so it is tough for me to judge.

I think it is probably easier to go with series/book, rather than stand alone books.

message 19: by carol., Senor Crabbypants (new)

carol. | 2616 comments Although, MrsJ, do you want to keep discussions in the same thread? GR is being very buggy lately about notification, so a single thread might be easier to track (for instance, I didn't get any notifications about this thread).

message 20: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments Carol wrote: "Although, MrsJ, do you want to keep discussions in the same thread? GR is being very buggy lately about notification, so a single thread might be easier to track (for instance, I didn't get any not..."

That wouldn't bother me in the least. (I just copied and pasted, lol!)

message 21: by Valerie (new)

Valerie (darthval) | 68 comments Wow, very detailed. I like it!

message 22: by Jalilah (new)

Jalilah Great idea!

message 23: by Kevin (new)

Kevin | 284 comments So, does "Urban fantasy" for the purpose of this poll just mean fantasy set in "our" current world?
So, noting historical (for instance: Ian Tregellis' Bitter Seeds is very urban fantasy-like IMO, but set during WO2)?
Or people from our world going over to secondary worlds?
Or alternate world fantasies that adhere to the smaller scale "Urban" setting (example: Max Gladstone's Three Parts Dead has a heap of "Urban" tropes: takes part in a single city that is a big part of the plot, vampires, paranormal investigation agencies,... but is very much a different world than ours)?

Does YA count? Stuff like Gaiman's American Gods?

Not saying that I feel all this stuff should be included, just wondering where the line is going to be. :)

message 24: by Kevin (new)

Kevin | 284 comments Sorry, that was unclear on my part. Those are meant to be two unrelated questions.

message 25: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments This calls for an Official Thread!

message 26: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

message 27: by carol., Senor Crabbypants (new)

carol. | 2616 comments MrsJ. posted thread and rule, we can argue qualifications here and specifics of nominated there. I'm open to mature young adult, or young adult that some might characterize as "adult." So to me, Daughter of Smoke & Bone would qualify, Wrinkle in Time would not (yes, I know it is out of the date specifications. Just using an example).