Ancient World discussion

Ephoros on Scythians?

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bryn (new)

Bryn Hammond (brynhammond) | 13 comments Any Greek experts who can lead me to Ephoros (c.405-330 BCE), historian/geographer, and his work on the Scythians?

I found him in this book Enemies of Civilization: Attitudes Toward Foreigners in Ancient Mesopotamia, Egypt, and China

He sounds like Tacitus on the Germans: enjoins Greeks to learn from the very high moral standards of the Scythians. I'd love to read the texts (in English) -- are they gettable?

message 2: by Michael (new)

Michael Sommers My impression is that his work only exists in quotations in Diodorus and Strabo.

message 3: by Bryn (new)

Bryn Hammond (brynhammond) | 13 comments Ah. Thanks for that, Michael. It's more than I've managed to find out.

message 4: by Michael (new)

Michael Anderson (mikeanderson) | 4 comments The Diodorus references are not just quotes but copies of his writings, in some cases. You could also look for the books "Historians of Ancient Greece and Rome" by Usher and "The Historian Ephorus" by G.L. Barber. Also see:

http://www.press.umich.edu/pdf/047211... for a discussion of chapter of surviving fragments.

message 5: by Bryn (new)

Bryn Hammond (brynhammond) | 13 comments Mike, sorry, I didn't see your post until just then -- how did that escape me? Thanks so for the leads, which I'll chase up right now.

message 6: by Bryn (new)

Bryn Hammond (brynhammond) | 13 comments Mike wrote: "Also see:"

Brilliant to have that chapter you link to. I've skimmed and shall read.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Did the Greeks consider the Scythians to have high moral standards? That is a surprise to me, being that the Greeks tended to characterize most other civilizations (especially the Persians) as barbarians...

message 8: by Feliks (new)

Feliks (dzerzhinsky) | 36 comments Agree with #7

Strange terrain here